Friday, December 18, 2009

Winter Wonder

We had our holiday party tonight and it went very well. Our annual holiday party is a pretty big deal, we invite all of our advertisers and sponsors, the board of directors, and employee family members for fancy finger food, an open bar, and dancing. The office we work from isn’t big enough so we usually rent out a hotel ball or conference room. My HR team and I plan this for weeks in advance and everyone really loves it. This year we were able to rent the ballroom for half price because we’re such frequent customers and they even decorated it for us. After making all of the arrangements I was ready to party!

I walked into the party absolutely mesmerized! It was decked out with lights and snowflakes hanging from the ceiling and everyone was dressed so nicely. I was wearing a dark green cocktail dress with white tulle underneath the skirt, the top part was a corset-fit type thing wih dark green velvet for the trim. I topped it off with some white stilettos and a snowflake necklace with matching earrings and bracelet. I saw Suzy and Dina standing near the bar and made my way over.

“Hello ladies, having fun?”

“This is such a great party, Faith, you guys in HR really outdid yourselves this year,” Dina said as she handed me a glass of wine and a snowman shaped white chocolate raspberry cheesecake bite (YUM!).

“Did you know the DJ is single?” Suzy said winking and nudging her head in his direction.

“Uh…no, hey where’s Mike, Dina?”

“Oh, he couldn’t come, all of the blizzards re-directed everything and they called him in to work overtime because of the crazy flight schedules.” Dina’s husband is an airline pilot and when his flying restrictions ground him he works in the control towers. He usually has to work after bouts of bad weather but the overtime pay is what paid off their townhouse, or so Dina tells me.

We got to talking with some other co-workers (Suzy was hitting on the DJ) when I saw Kevin walk in. I quietly excused myself, got another glass of wine, and went over to greet him. I stopped cold. He brought someone with him. She had honey blonde hair, a super-model’s physique, and a giant diamond on a very important finger. I composed myself and continued to walk over.

“Hey Kevin, thought I’d say hello,” I awkwardly waved and tried to smile.

“Happy Holidays, Faith. I’d like to introduce you to my fiancée, Hannah.” Kevin took her by the hand and moved her forward, she moved with such grace and I felt so frumpy next to her. She was wearing black tights with a pure white satin bubble cocktail dress and black oxford booties.

“It’s nice to meet you,” she said, not returning my smile. She noticed the bar and left Kevin and I alone to talk.

“Faith, I can tell that you’re a little thrown off. I think we should talk.”

“I’m fine, I just realized that I’m supposed to pick a friend up at the airport and I’m late. I’ll…see you at work.” I dashed out of the ball room and pulled my black pea coat from the hanger. I was putting it on while running down the stairs but Kevin caught me before I could reach the exit.

“Faith wait! I have to say something,” Kevin grabbed my arm and kept me from leaving.

“Please just let me go,” tears started to fill my eyes and I felt so dumb for thinking Kevin would ever leave his super hot fiancée, “I need to leave before I make a complete ass of myself.” I stopped struggling and looked at his eyes, they were full of sadness.

Kevin wiped a tear away and then kissed me, gently at first, and then urgently. I kissed him back just as fervetly but then I realized what I was doing and pulled away. I left as fast as possible. I didn’t look back once even though he was calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment