Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Timing

Things at work have been going well. Kevin and I have been able to be in the same room together and not have any awkward tension. He was actually starting to feel like a real co-worker and not a dude with a fiancée that I made out with. But I went to his office today to pick up his quarterly employee reviews, which were due.

“Knock, knock,” I said popping my head in his office, “I’m here to pick up your employee reviews.”

He was on the phone and gave me the "one minute" hand signal, it sounded like he wasn’t very happy with the person on the other end. When he hung up, he sighed and went to reach for his file cabinet.

“Is now a bad time? I can come back later…” I said inching away.

“Uh, no, I’ve got them right here,” he handed me the reviews and then wrote something down in his planner. I left his office and started counting the slips of paper, I came up one slip too many and had to go back to Kevin’s office. He was sitting in his chair with its back to the door, before I could knock he started angrily talking into the phone.

“No! No! I can’t do that today, Hannah,” He was talking to his fiancée, “Yeah, well why can’t you pick it up, it’s just a pie! And it’s for your mom!” Kevin started getting louder and I was trying to figure out a good way to get away from his office without making a lot of noise, “Why are you being so difficult? I have to work late, I told you that, by the time I leave from here the bakery will be closed anyway. No! Why is that always your assumption? This has nothing to do with the wedding,” there was a long pause and Kevin sighed deeply, “Go ahead and call it off then.”

I dropped the stack of papers I was holding and Kevin swung his chair around. He had a look of utter shock and confusion and hung up the phone. I bent down to pick up the reviews and started rambling.

“There was an extra one, I was just trying to- I didn’t mean to overhear. I was just- I should leave, we can talk about this later. I’m sorry I-“

“You don’t need to apologize. Let me help you.” Kevin knelt down and started picking up the papers. I picked one up and realized it was my employee review.

“Oh, you can’t give this to me, it needs to be given to one of the other HR reps to remain confidential. This must have been the extra one.” I handed it to Kevin and finished collecting the papers. He stood up, put it on his desk, and asked me to close the door when I left. I went to leave, stopped, and turned around.

“I really didn’t mean to-“

“It’s fine, I know you didn’t. I just need to do some work now.”

I quietly closed the door and quickly walked to my office. If Kevin and his fiancée called off the wedding, that could mean we might be able to try out a relationship or something. The dreams I’d been having about Kevin increased after Dean dumped me and they were getting more intense. They weren’t just sexy dreams anymore, they were dreams of me bringing him to meet my parents and other major relationship milestones. Would it be wrong for me to get together with Kevin if the choice was available? I mean he was willing, and for all I know, he did cheat on his fiancée, what would keep him from doing that to me? I mean, I think I want to be with him, but I don’t know if I’d ever be able to trust him knowing that he tried to cheat (and possibly did) on Hannah.

1 comment:

  1. You know in Kevin's case, and from hearing the convo with his finance, I don't think he is a cheater. I think he has a very bitchy fiance that he's starting to realize he'll be miserable with if he marries her. And when he met Faith it was one of those things that just seems to happen between two people. So Faith go for it!!

    ReplyDelete