Friday, June 7, 2013

Prepped and Ready

I went to my first appointment on Wednesday and had to listen to a nurse explain what my options were and assure her I wasn’t being forced into anything. I also had to get an ultrasound to verify that I was still pregnant and to determine what kind of abortion I was eligible.


According to the person who gave me the ultrasound, I will be 7 weeks and 1 day tomorrow, which meant I could decide if I wanted a medical or a surgical abortion. I chose surgical. Molly is going to drive me to the clinic and drive me back home. The nurse said that I’ll be fine to go to work the day after, but that I should take it easy and not lift anything heavy for at least a few days. I just told Bruno I needed some personal time and he gave me five days off. So, at least I won’t have to worry about work on top of everything else.

“Are you having any second thoughts?” Molly asked.

We were sitting in the living room, watching the new episode of Hannibal.

“No. I thought I might, but the more I think about it, the more I realize this is the best decision. It really is. I told Dr. Sheehan about being pregnant and what I decided at our regular weekly appointment and she said that she completely supported my decision and made it clear that I could talk about it during our sessions without fear of judgment. That was nice to hear and I appreciated it a lot.”

“That’s good. I’m glad she’s being supportive.”

“The only thing I’m worried about is the protesters.” I said, “But the nurse said that since the clinic is on private property I won’t have to walk by them. We will have to drive by them, though.”

“If any of them say something mean to you, I will punch them in the face.” Molly said.

I laughed. It felt good. I felt like I hadn’t laughed in years. We finished watching our show and then went to bed. We’d have to wake up early for my appointment.

8 comments:

  1. I love that molly is being so supportive. I hope Faith stays strong and have strength to deal with whatever consequences after. I wish her the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear she is seeing Dr. Sheehan. Funny she made mention about the protestors. This is not a random comment. Something is going to come of that, IMO. mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is going to be among the protestors? Mike or Brad? Or someone else all together? Hmmm...

      Delete
  3. Uh-oh...Faith will be dealing with more conflict than the inner kind when she goes to the clinic. Wonder if there'll be anyone specific there who'll ratchet emotions up to the next stress level, or merely just protesters in general. Either way, it seems likely the scene won't be pretty. Tough spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. her comment about her regular weekly session with dr sheehan i thought was odd. i thought she hadnt been seeing her dr regularly and if she has been seeing her all this time why wouldnt her dr have something to say about her relationship with brad that would have been post worthy

    Renee Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly. Also, if she actually *has* been seeing her therapist regularly again for a while now...why wouldn't she have remedied this fiasco with Brad a while ago? (Or, better, maybe just not started the strange head-games with him in the first place). She's said a # of times during the course of this blog (and demonstrated through sensible behavior) that seeing Dr. Sheehan helps her think clearly and make more constructive decisions (not verbatim, but similar meaning). Faith didn't have to be in this spot at all with Brad; she's brought herself here full-circle, unfortunately. Hard lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faith made a post after seeing Dr. Sheehan a loooooong time ago that said she didn't feel comfortable talking about her sessions on the blog. So that's probably why she hasn't talked about it except for the occasional mention in passing.

    I can believe that she has been seeing Dr. Sheehan in all this time. Therapists aren't supposed to give dating advice. So, yeah, maybe Dr. Sheehan gave Faith some coping strategies for break-ups but it's not like she's airing her opinion of what she thinks about Brad and Faith dating him. That would be inappropriate. And, really, if Faith saw her actions as acceptable (which she did) then there really isn't anything to comment on because Faith doesn't see a problem with it and their sessions seem to be determined by what Faith wants to talk about.

    Or Faith could have just omitted a lot of stuff when she went to therapy, which isn't the best thing to do when you're in therapy. But I can see that being true because of how much shame and guilt Faith had over the whole situation. Or maybe she just didn't want to talk about it in therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's also possible that she hasn't been going regularly, but has recently started again. It's pretty common to go regularly for a while, then once you and your therapist feel like you have a good handle on things to stop regularly scheduling sessions and only having them if you feel like you need it.

    ReplyDelete