Sunday, January 13, 2013

Movers and Shakers


Zoey was able to find an apartment in record time and Molly, Anna, and I were helping her move before Wesley came back from Australia, he had extended his stay so they wouldn't have to share the same living space while Zoey moved out.  She bribed us with the promise of pizza and beer once we got done.

“This looks like it’s going to be a pretty clean break.” Anna said carrying a box up the stairs to Zoey’s new place.

“It’s for the best.” Zoey said.

It took us a few hours to get everything upstairs and organized. Zoey had a lot more stuff than I realized. Some of it was stuff she’d been keeping in storage after moving in with Wesley. We decided to go out and eat in a pizza place instead of Zoey’s apartment and then go to the store and help her get some groceries to stock her fridge.

We were dirty and sweaty but the pizza and beers were just what the doctor ordered. I had told the girls that Mike and I were back together but I hadn’t told them about the Brad incident. Honestly, I’m too ashamed and embarrassed to tell them and I still don’t know if I should tell Mike or not. Brad has sent me a few text messages but I haven’t responded to them. I’m worried about what it’s going to be like to see Brad for the first time since the stockroom incident.

“You know, I’m kind of glad things with Wesley and I are over. I’ve missed being single and having my own space. I can’t wait to just be in my own apartment and have my own space.”

“I’m happy you’re happy.” I said clinking my pint to hers.

“I think it’s awesome that you’re embracing the single life.” Molly said taking a bite of her pepperoni pizza.

“Me, too. Marriage is hard, you have to make sure that if you’re going to go down that road, it’s with the right person. Wesley just wasn’t that guy for you.” Anna added.

“You know, Mike and I have talked about marriage.” I said.

“Really? Already?” Anna asked.

“Well, not very seriously but he has mentioned that he’d marry me tomorrow if the thought wasn’t so terrifying to both of us. So, I guess, take that how you will.” I joked.

“And what do you think about that?” Zoey asked sipping her beer.

“I love him and I think our relationship is the healthiest one I’ve ever been in so maybe marriage is in our future…if I can manage not to screw it up.”

“What do you mean?” Molly asked suspiciously.

“Nothing…I just…well sometimes I seem to sabotage my relationships or make stupid decisions that doom them.”

“Anything in particular you’d like to mention?” Zoey smirked.

“Nope.” I took a bite of pizza.

We finished our pizzas and beers and then headed to the grocery store to help Zoey buy the essentials. Once she was all stocked up, we stayed and helped her set up her bed and unpack a few things. Molly and I were putting away dishes in the kitchen while Anna and Zoey were making her bed. It really is a nice apartment.

I’ve been thinking about what Zoey said about wanting her own space and I felt the smallest pang of sadness over losing my old apartment, especially in the way I lost it. But I really do like living with Molly. It makes me wonder if Wesley wasn’t the guy we all thought he was but surely Zoey would’ve have said something or asked for help if the situation was really bad, right?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think we have heard or seen the last of Wesley.

    ReplyDelete