Thursday, September 6, 2012

Seal of Approval


Load out was abysmal. It lasted for nearly 10 hours and it seemed like everything that could go wrong went wrong. At first, it was going really well and we were set to be done in five hours but then everything went to hell.

A piece of the set wasn’t taken down correctly and while four of my crew members were working on it, it snapped and fell on two of them. I called an ambulance so they could be taken to the hospital. Then I called Eddie to tell him what happened. After that I had to have everyone who had been in the area sign a statement about what they saw happen so we could report it to the theatre’s insurance company. Eddie showed up to collect the paperwork and get more information about what happened. I also sent Mike a message telling him I didn’t know when I would be home but I would text him when I knew.

“They’ll both be okay. One has a broken leg and the other has a broken collarbone. I think it could have been a lot worse. I’m still not clear on WHY it happened, though. I think the instructions for it to be taken down might have been incorrect.” I said.

“Well, the important thing is that no one was seriously injured or killed. I’ve heard horror stories about crew members being killed by falling set pieces during load out and we definitely dodged a bullet tonight.” Eddie said.

The time we lost made load out even longer than I had wanted it to be but I’m just glad everyone will be okay.

“Faith, I’ll need you to go to the hospital and have our two guys fill out the paperwork about what happened, too.” Eddie told me as I was locking up the theatre once load out was finished.

“Okay.” I said.

“Also, I’m going to deposit the other half of your pay stipend for the show tomorrow.”

“Okay.”

“One last thing, would you be willing to be the SM for our holiday show?”

“What?” I asked. I was taken aback. After how poorly load out went, I hadn’t expected Eddie to offer me another job.

“I’ll call you tomorrow and we can talk about the details.”

“O-okay.” I said still sort of confused.

Eddie bade me good night and I hailed a taxi so I could get to the hospital. In the cab, I sent Mike a text telling him I’d probably be home in about an hour. Once at the hospital I met up with my two crew members and had them fill out the necessary paperwork before finally settling in a cab on my way home for the night.
I walked into my apartment on the cusp of exhaustion and saw Mike waiting for me on the couch with a large pizza and a 6-pack of root beer on the coffee table. I smiled and then collapsed on the couch. Mike had Murphy purring on his lap; he was scratching him between his ears.

“Long day, huh?”

“You have NO idea.” I said rubbing Murphy’s chin. It was nice to know Murphy approves of my boyfriend.

I started stuffing my face full of pizza like my life depended on it and then began nursing a root beer. We were watching television but mostly I told Mike about everything that happened at load out.

“And then he offered me a job.” I said.

“Well, that’s good, though, right? I know you were worried about work once the show ended.”

“It is good but I didn’t expect it. Eddie said he’d call me tomorrow so we can talk details.”

“Are you going to take the job?”

“Probably. I’ve tasted extra income and I don’t want to go back!” I joked.

I snuggled up to Mike.

“Thank you for the dinner.” I said, “It was perfect.”

Mike put his arms around me and started kissing me. We ended up laying on the couch, he was on top of me and kissing my neck slowly.  I had my legs wrapped around his waist and my hands were around the back of his neck.

“Um. C-can we stop?” I asked.

Mike looked up.

“W-what?”

“It’s not you, I’m just really, REALLY tired. I don’t think I could…you know.”

“Oh. Okay, I understand. No problem.” He said getting up.

“I’m sorry.” I said, “I know we talked about having sex tonight and then decided to just let it happen but I’m just too tired to really be any fun tonight.” I said.

“That’s okay, Faith, I understand.”

Mike started rubbing my feet and I fell asleep within minutes. Before he left, Mike kissed my forehead and put a blanket over me. He woke me up when he kissed me.

“Hey.” I said sleepily.

“I’m just heading out, okay? I put the leftover pizza and soda in the fridge, I’ll call you when I get out of work and we’ll do something to celebrate your new job.”

“Okay.” I said before falling asleep again.

I woke up on the couch with Murphy laying on my head. I feel bad about rejecting Mike for sex but, to be honest, I was worried I’d fall asleep during it. I was THAT tired.

5 comments:

  1. Many guys would have been extremely put out after waiting hours and then be turned down. Mike sounds like quite a catch. I'm very excited for this relationship to progress. mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-huh. Nothing'll turn a nice guy into an obstinate preschooler faster than being turned down (for any reason) once his expectations have been raised, especially if the lead-up action has already started. Score one (two, actually...Murphy's paw of approval says a lot, also) for the sweet/sexy fireman. Plus, it didn't appear that Mike was feeling very nervous here about the sexcapades; he got right down to business before Faith told him how tired she was. Watch him turn out to be a sex-savant or something, on top of all his other great qualities. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, forgot: 3 years, huh? Wow - seems like a mere blink. Congrats! I'm guessing your blog is right up there (in this genre) for longest-running, not to mention regularity-of-posts and quality of content. Excellent. Hope things are going more smoothly for you lately, Del.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on 3 years! I rarely comment, but I've been reading since the beginning of the blog. Thank you for keeping us all entertained & hooked on Faith for so long (:

    ReplyDelete