Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Call Me Maybe


Luke and I went on our brunch date over the weekend and I’m not going to go out with him again. He talked about himself, again, for the entire date and I was so bored. I told Molly about it when I got back.

“How’d it go!?” She said sitting next to me and handing me a glass of iced tea and plopping down on the couch.

“I don’t think Luke is the guy for me. I told him that I wasn’t looking for a boyfriend and that we needed to stop seeing each other right before we said good-bye.”
Molly had a small little smile on her face.

“How did he react?” She asked.

“He seemed…disappointed…and confused.” I said thinking back.

“I bet he did.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked.

“Luke isn’t the kind of guy who’s used to being dumped. He’s slept with half of the women in our cast for the show and I know tons of other women he’s slept with in the business from other shows and designing opportunities.”

“Well, then, why were you so happy that he and I got together?”

“Because I wanted you to have a good rebound. I wanted you to be sexed really well so you could move on to bigger and better relationships. I thought getting with Luke for a little bit would get you to move on.”

“But I am moving on.” I said, “Why do you want me to move on even faster?”

Molly looked guiltily before going into her bedroom and coming back with a small piece of paper. She handed it to me.

“What’s this?” I asked looking at it.

“Remember that fireman who told you he’d look for Murphy?”

“Yes.”

“That is his phone number. He gave it to me the night of the fire.”

“Why are you giving it to me if he gave it to you?” I said looking at it again and trying to remember back to that night.

“Because he asked me to give it to you. He told me he knew it would be gross if he tried to pick you up while your apartment burned down and he saw that me, Anna, and Zoey knew you well so he asked me to give you his number and tell you to give him a call if you were interested in a date once you got back on your feet.”

I stared at the phone number for a moment before tossing it on the coffee table.

“Molly, I’m not going to call him, it’s been over a month. It would be too weird. Plus I don’t even know his name and I barely remember what he looks like.”

“Faith, the only thing you need to know about him is that he is a fire fighter and therefore, super hot. What do you have to lose, honestly? You royally screwed up your chances with Brad and Luke is now out of the picture. You could have a clean slate with this guy. No more complicated friends-with-benefits stuff, no more self-obsessed actors. Just think about it, okay?”

“Okay.” I said.

I’m not sure if I should call this fireman or not but I do know that I need to deal with Brad before I make that decision. It would be nice, for once, to not have complicated relationships like Molly pointed out. But wouldn’t it be wrong of me to go out on a date with this guy in the hopes of having a relationship, and not just sex, when I have been insisting the opposite with Brad? Maybe Molly is wrong, maybe I’m not ready for a relationship yet, maybe I haven’t moved on from Sean as much as she thinks I have.

4 comments:

  1. I usually like Molly but I've found her a little meddlesome lately. She has her own way of getting over break-ups, and good for her. But Faith just seems to be borrowing from Molly's Method instead of figuring how or what she needs to do to move on. It seems like Faith has just pretended to move on. I don't think it's a pretense that is in place only for her friends but herself included.

    This Brad and Luke scenario reminds me of Teddy and Chris. She likes to pick the self-absorbed one, and give him another chance. With the more sincere guy, there is always something wrong. I'm kind of annoyed at Molly here for encouraging Faith to go out with Luke. i'm tired of Faith staying stagnant in her own mess. And she is doing to Brad what she did with Adam/Stormy: when it gets real, she moves on to a new guy to start afresh. And if the guy is self-absorbed, he gets another date.

    The problem here is not Sean, apartment burning down, or whatever else Faith tells herself. She is the problem. Leave the fireman alone, and be honest with Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Molly has orchestrated anything that's happened in Faith's love life, she's been supportive of what she supports and is honest when she doesn't. I feel like she's been a good friend to Faith, honestly.

    Faith has been making questionable decisions for the better part of the year now. I'm interested in seeing what, if anything, manages to snap her out of that. Brad sounds like a great guy and they seem to compliment one another - maybe that scares the hell out of her? Maybe she craves boyfriend drama, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. S. I agree 100%, another time the fireman would be great. But not right now and she really hurt Brad's feelings and she needs to try to undo the hurt she caused. Molly needs to understand that Faith does not need a rebound she needs to work on herself. Figure out what she wants not only with men but with her career. Not to knock on bartending as a career, but the girl has a degree. If human resources is not her thing anymore, she needs to decide what is. Faith does tend to give the self absorbed A-holes a 2nd chance and pushes away the good guys. Someone mentioned her therapist, that would be a good idea. Oh Happy 4th Everyone!!! And I love talking about Faith like she's a real person with real problems!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...I love me some firemen, but I just dont think its the right time for Faith...I like that Molly has been supporting Faith, but also shares thoughts with her when she doesnt agree with her decisions...I think its a pretty good mix without being judgy...I think she needs to own up and fix this mess with Brad...she is being a bit of drama queen :) - Such great writing! Im so glad this blog has stayed!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete