Monday, August 15, 2011

A Very Slow Death

Todd and Tanya are almost ready to launch the online version of our paper. It still has to go through the board and Veronica needs to check it over, but I think it’s great and really innovative and I hope they like it. They were showing me all of the features today in the conference room and I can’t believe how they came up with some of these ideas. There are still some glitches that need to be worked out but I sent Veronica an e-mail letting her know that they’ll be ready to present it to her in a few days. None of the staff were aware that we’ve been planning to make the newspaper digital and after reading my e-mail, Veronica decided it was time to tell them. She sent out a mass e-mail to the staff saying that we were going to have a meeting at 5:00pm before everyone left for the day. Immediately the office was full of gossip, panic, and speculation.

“Faith, you would tell us if we’re about to be fired, right?” Suzy asked me during lunch.

“You know what this is about, don’t you?” Dina asked.

“Do Tanya and Todd have anything to do with this? Are they going to replace me and Rose!?” Steve asked.

“Are we going to have to cut half the staff?” Stormy asked.

I didn’t know who to answer first.

“Suzy, Stormy you both know I can’t talk about anything regarding the firing of employees. Steve, Tanya and Todd are not a concern to any jobs here. Dina, I do know but it’s best if Veronica explains it. All four of you should calm down. It’s a good announcement, not a bad one.”

They didn’t seem convinced and kept looking at me with sad, inquisitive eyes until we finished eating lunch and got back to work. When it was time for the meeting, Veronica was a little late and the air was tense. Everyone was sitting at their desks and turned to her when she rounded the corner of the hallway leading to her office with Todd and Tanya at her side. She didn’t beat around the bush and started speaking.

“I’ve asked you all here today because I have a big announcement. We’re going digital. Our paper will no longer be produced on paper, or at least that’s where the future is headed. We hired Tanya and Todd awhile ago, as some of you have noticed, and since then they have been working on an entirely new subscription-based website that we will be launching within the next few weeks. Our goal is to stop printing completely by October. Todd and Tanya have made us a website unlike any others I have seen. People can subscribe on a month-to-month basis or by a yearly basis. They can buy apps in addition to their subscription that will give them the opportunity to have 24/7 news available on their phones. Submitting your articles on deadline will be easier than ever before and that’s why we are going to use our staff as beta-testers for the website when it has gotten approval from our board of investors. We’re going to begin offering digital advertising to the advertisers we currently have and also offering deals to advertisers who are not already partners with us. This will give us a much wider audience and I’m proud of what Todd and Tanya have been able to create. I think you all will be, too.”

And with that Veronica left while Todd and Tanya took questions and explained their ideas to the staff. I gauged the reactions. Some people were confused, others were relieved, but I think the majority of people are wary about this new approach to news coverage. I think they’ll warm up to the idea with time, though. Once all questions had been answered people began packing up their things to leave, including myself. Stormy knocked on my office door as I gathered my stuff.

“Hey.” I smiled.

“What does this all mean?” He asked incredulously.

“We’re moving into the digital age, Stormy, print is dying. We need to make the paper more accessible to more people. We’re just taking the next step to do that. Why do you seem so worried?”

“Because this is just the first sign that something is wrong,” He closed the door to my office, “Faith, is the paper going under? I need to know!”

“Stormy, the paper is fine right now,” I lied, “but the climate for printed newspapers is a volatile one. Look at this as an insurance policy, not a stamp of death.”

He seemed more comforted by that idea but I felt bad that I had to lie to him. I feel bad that I can’t tell everyone that they might want to start looking for jobs but that might just cause unnecessary panic, anyway. The paper might NOT go under; this website might just save us.

I walked home thinking about how scared my friends are about losing their jobs and I don’t blame them. Not having a job IS scary and the newspaper industry seems to let people go so quickly at the first sign of trouble. I wearily opened my apartment door and instantly cheered up.

“Hey! This is a nice surprise!” I said seeing Sean sitting in one of my living room chairs, “You just left, are you back for a break with the band?”

Sean’s eyes were puffy and he stood up and took my hand.

“You should sit down.” He said hoarsely.

“What happened!? Are you okay? Are the guys okay? Did something happen with the tour?” I asked in a panic as I slowly lowered myself in a chair across from him.

“Everyone is fine. I just need to tell you something.”

“Okay.” I said. I felt like I had been drenched in sickening fear.

“Karen is pregnant.”

My whole body felt like lead. I closed my eyes and slowly laid my head on the back of the chair before letting out a harsh laugh and looking at Sean.

“Oh, we are SO over. Get out.”

(Just a reminder: there won't be a post on Monday because it's Labor Day. Have a great long weekend, readers! -del)

14 comments:

  1. Run Faith run, don't turn back. She has done everything she can, please don't torture her anymore. Again, stupid stupid stupid Sean. He deserves to lose Faith.

    This story gets me all emotional. I want to punch Sean. He f*cked up. I hate the emotional rollercoaster/turmoil he has put Faith through. Faith needs to look after herself, if she chooses to stay with Sean even after this, she has to take a bigger responsibility for the pain she faces from that point forward. She has a choice. Hopefully she stops being the martyr in their relationship, and walks away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so sad for Faith, I feel sick just reading it.

    Anyway, thank you the highly entertaining story. Hope you enjoy your long weekend too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhh!! You're killing me!
    Damn you Sean... Damn you!
    Quite the reaction Faith had and when that
    shock wears off she's going to have a
    rough go!
    Thanks for keeping me on the edge of
    my seat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my are you ever mean!!! Leaving us hanging over the weekend :(

    I was not expecting this twist but i shouldn't have been surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gahhhhh i want more :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aahhh!!!!

    Keep up the grreat work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man. I was really rooting for them to work it out. I'm not sure of the timing of when Karen broke up with her bf and when she and Sean slept together, but if it was only a few weeks, can she be so sure that the baby is Sean's at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sooooo sad! I wonder if it's his too

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first thought as I read the ending: HOLY SHIIIIIIIT!!!

    Good, no,GREAT twist!!!! Eeeeeks.

    But a totally different issue popped into my head- so she's preggers, does this mean the condom broke or was there no condom and therefore have Faith and Sean been using condoms? Because idk why I didn't think about how she slept w Sean and who knows whom else Karen had slept w after her breakup and if she slept w her ex had he been cheating on her?? Just the medical professional coming out in me, haha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So not fair about making us wait until next Wednesday...I'm in shock! I guess this relationship is not meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGosh! My stomach is lurching. I feel like I know these people....well, I guess in a way we all do. This wasn't even on my radar. Curious question about condoms and if he and Faith use them. So sad. Oh, jeez...what if they DON'T use them, and Faith becomes PG as a result of their "homework". Oh, dear. I'm too emotionally invested in this story! mum

    ReplyDelete
  12. NOOOO!All of us are going to be home laborday! Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. GGGAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    This is the nail in the coffin....or it better be!!! Sean...you had your chance, but these circumstances are to much for anyone to handle...Faith...RUN....RUN like the wind...and you had BETTER not be pregnant either..Im hoping she is MUCH to smart to be fooling around without protection! ...This wait for the next post will be insane!!! Happy Long weekend everyone!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man :( What a bummer. I felt kind of sick reading this, too. This one hit a little too close to home for me. Poor Faith.

    ReplyDelete