Thursday, February 24, 2011

Surprise,Surprise

I’m absolutely exhausted so this is going to be fairly short. When I got back to the hospital after a quick nap and change of clothes, Anna still hadn’t progressed very far in her labor. Zoey had gone home for a nap and a change of clothes as well and she came back about 15 minutes after me.

To be honest it was all really boring. Zoey and I waited in the lounge because there was a limit on how many people were allowed in Anna’s room and her family had flown in the minute they heard and were camped out in her room with Theo. Theo would come in occasionally to update us and drink some coffee. We ran across the street to a diner to get everyone dinner at one point. Zoey and I ate there so we could get out of the sanitizing lights of the hospital. We both had bags under our eyes.

“She has been in labor for 36 hours. You’d think SOMETHING would have happened by now.” Zoey whined.

I agreed. Having a baby is certainly boring (when you aren’t the one having the baby, I would assume). After 8 more hours Anna FINALLY started to progress with some pitocin to aid her. Theo came running into the room within 15 minutes of him telling us she was at 10 centimeters to announce the birth.

“It’s a boy!”

Zoey and I hugged Theo and gave many congratulations.

“Anna is experiencing a problem, though, her placenta won’t drop. I’ll keep you guys updated.” Theo ran out of the room before we could freak out.

“That’s not a big deal, right, Faith?” Zoey turned to me.

We were both pretty pale.

“I…I don’t know.”

Suddenly Theo came back and nearly wiped out trying to throw himself through the doorway to the lounge.

“Is she okay!?” Zoey and I asked at the same time.

Theo’s face was in shock. He was sweating and his eyes were wide.

“She...we…there was another baby in there!” He sputtered.

“WHAT?” Zoey looked dumbfounded.

“We have a girl! And a boy!”

“How does that even happen?” I asked, equally dumbfounded.

“The second baby was really high up, they mistook her for the placenta, the heart beat was never found because the…twins, “Theo sounded shocked that he could even say the word, “I guess their heartbeats were totally in sync.”

Theo looked like he was going to pass out.

“Theo?” Zoey said moving him to a couch covered in plastic, “Is this common?”

“It happens, but ultrasounds usually catch it. Oh my God we have to buy another car seat! And more diapers! And a double wide stroller! And-”

“We’ll go get you a car seat, Theo, you should probably go back in there.” I said, “But, first, how is Anna?”

“Are you kidding? She’s ECSTATIC!”

I’ll write more soon, but I’m falling asleep at my laptop and need to go to bed!


(Author's Note: Hi new readers! I hope you enjoy the blog, I welcome criticism in the comments as long as it's respectful. Thanks to the lovely people who recommended me!)

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That's fantastic! Very cool! mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Theo's reaction is hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo...that would be pretty shocking: having 2 babies when all along you're only expecting one. But, a happy surprise, and it sounds like Anna isn't thrown by it at all. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute post, sounds like Theo's going to be overwhelmed by his TWO little bundles of joy for a while. That would be crazy, having twins is overwhelming (I assume) even if you know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An acquaintance of mine went to the doctor for back pain, turns out it wasn't just back pain she was in labor! Don't know how she went 9 months without realizing she was pregnant but she went in for back pain and came out with a baby.

    Good for Anna and Theo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Anna and Theo. It's amazing that things like that still happen with all the technology today. And Tinker it is really hard to believe someone going through pregnancy and not knowing it. But it does happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay!!!!! what a fabulous surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute, exciting surprise!

    ReplyDelete