Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Not so Great Good-Bye

I couldn’t wait to get back to Sean’s apartment to let him know how things went. A weight had been lifted on my shoulders and I was sure Sean would feel relieved, too, even though he’s been trying really hard to hide his anxiety from me. I walked into his apartment as light as air and fueled by happiness. He was in his bedroom getting ready to go to a gig.
“Hey!” I said swooping in to give him a hug from behind.
“Hey.” He said turning around and kissing my forehead, “How’d it go?”
“Better than expected. You don’t have to worry about anything anymore.”
Sean pulled away from me with a look of confusion on his face, “What does that mean?”
“Kevin is going to drop the charges he’s pressing against you.”
Sean’s eyes closed slowly before muttering a few obscenities.
“It’s okay, Sean. I know how worried you were about affording lawyer’s fees and going to jail. I know, we don’t have to keep pretending everything is fine anymore, because everything is fine. I fixed it.”
Sean scoffed and crossed his arms which wiped the hopeful smile off my face.
“And what was the deal, Faith?”
“I dropped the charges.”
“Of course you did.” Sean sneered.
I backed away from Sean and blinked. I couldn’t believe how upset he was about this.
“There was no way he was going to go to jail, Sean. I got the best deal I could.” I reached for the contract from my purse to show Sean but he walked by me and into the living room without a care.
“Don’t walk away from me, Sean! I don’t understand why you’re acting like this.” I said following him.
“You want to know why I’m pissed, Faith?” He spun around and shouted, “FINE. You let everyone treat you like a damn doormat and I’m sick of it! Kevin. Gerry. Elise. Everyone takes advantage of you and you just let them. Gerry- unpunished. Kevin- unpunished twice. Elise- unpunished more times than I can count. I pulled that asshole off of you in the nick of time and you just let him walk. Excuse me if I’m just a little disgusted by it.”
I was frozen in the door frame of Sean’s bedroom trying to make sense of what he was saying as he shouted at me. I kept shaking my head because his anger was so unexpected.
“But…th-this morning. You were going to ask me to get him to drop the charges against you, I knew you were going to say it but backed out at the last minute. I thought you c-couldn’t bring yourself to ask me.”
Sean made an exasperated sound.
“No I wasn’t! I was going to say the exact opposite. That I didn’t want you to drop the charges just for me!”
“Sean, you have to understand that this was the best deal for everyone.”
“Except you. It was certainly the best deal for him, though. I got somewhere to be.” He said grabbing his jacket and guitar from the hallway closet and heading towards the door.
“Sean, please don’t go. We need to talk about this.” I said putting my hand on his shoulder to stop him.
He turned around, his eyes were extremely angry.
“I don’t really want to do that right now. I have to go…and I don’t want to see you again tonight.”
“Are…are you kicking me out of your apartment?” I asked, utterly shocked at how quickly things had gone downhill.
“No. I’m telling you I’m not coming back here tonight and I’m not sure when I will be back. I don’t want to you to call my phone obsessively like you did before.”
I was stung by that last comment and the dam of emotions that had been building inside me finally spilled out in righteous anger.
“No. No, you know what Sean? I’ll save Lou or Guy’s couch from your bad attitude and determination to be a martyr. I’m leaving. I’ll be gone before you get home.”
Sean slammed the door without even acknowledging what I just said but I was so angry that I couldn’t muster a good response. The gravity of what we said to each other rushed over me but I shook the feelings of pity off and called Zoey.
“I need you to come get me. I’m leaving but I’m not ready to go back to my apartment, yet.”
“Oh, okay. I’m on my way.” Zoey sounded distracted and wasn’t pressing for information on why I was leaving and then I felt bad.
“You’re with Wesley, aren’t you?” I sighed.
“Yeah, but it’s not a big deal. We’re on our way.” Zoey hung up before I had the sense to ask her what she meant by “We’re” but I was too upset to care at that point and angrily began collecting my things.
Once I was packed for what seemed like the millionth time since my apartment was broken into, Zoey arrived with Wesley. They helped me load up her car with all of my stuff and Murphy and then repeated the whole routine once we got to her place. I thanked both of them before locking myself and Murphy in her spare bedroom and collapsing into a sobbing mess on the bed. It’s been three days and Sean hasn’t attempted to call me since he stormed out. I haven’t called him, either.

7 comments:

  1. I want to kill Kevin. I understand where Sean is coming from, but I'm not too sure what else Faith could have done with the laws not working in her favor. However, she was way too lenient with Elise but Anna was the one that really pissed me off. I wonder if Zoey is getting annoyed with Faith and her recent drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol- S. I totally agree with the Kevin remark!!

    I understand Sean's anger too, but is that the best way to deal with it? I mean, no one has to be a doormat for everyone, but he didnt even take time to read the contract! What a twist in the story! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With you girls on the Kevin remark lol. And I too understand where Sean is coming from. But I do think he is totally overreacting. And he should have told Faith how he felt before she went in or went in with her. And yea he didn't even bother to read the contract. I really like Sean but I think he has an anger problem and I don't think he is the right guy for Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he is over reacting but I see where he is coming from. He wasn't there to hear what the lawyer said. He doesn't know it was going to be pretty much impossible to convict him. So Sean just sees that the man who assulted his girlfriend is getting off with little more than a slap on the wrist. That would piss off most people.

    And Faith does take on the abuse of others to spare people pain. She let Gerry be an asshat because she didn't want to put Sean in a tough spot. She kept Anna's secret because she didn't want to hurt Zoey. And well the Kevin situation was sticky because they were "dating". But sean needs to take a step back and realize he is NOT the victim here, Faith was. And she dealt with it as best she could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, poor Faith. She really DOES go out of her way to spare others pain, and she didn't deserve that reaction from Sean. Even though I get that Sean's dealing so poorly with this because he's all messed up inside about his lady being assaulted by a slime like Kevin, and now he's also feeling guilty and responsible for Faith bartering with Kevin's punishment to get HIM (Sean) out of trouble...well, he's just not thinking rationally. Ironic that the one person he wants most to protect is the one he's hurting so much by his disdainful, angry reaction. WHY do men sometimes not see the inconsistency and irrationality of reacting like that? He wants to "fix" things for her, but what she really needs is his support, understanding, and warm attention.

    The guy's gonna blow it behaving like this...he really is. Faith should keep her distance unless he starts communicating better. There's always going to be these types of patterns and issues between them over ANY problem that comes up unless he stops running away in anger, and she starts dealing with things upfront and head-on...instead of them tip-toeing around each other until the shit hits the fan. Great writing, Del.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so sad with how the post ended but so curious to see what will happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm bummed as well, but if it was happily ever after then the story would be over. I do tend to think that Zoey is starting to get tired of saving Faith. She's trying to develop this relationship with Wesley and all...mum

    ReplyDelete