Wednesday, November 11, 2009

K-Bomb

For the past few days, ever since Halloween, I’ve been avoiding dealing with Kevin at work. In order to make sure I don’t run into him on my way in, I’ve been coming at 7:00am which is about an hour earlier than usual, which means the office is completely deserted. I walked in this morning and went directly to my office which is far, far away from Kevin’s and started up my computer. I had an e-mail from my mom, one from my older brother, and one from Kevin:

To: Faith
From: Kevin
Subject: I’m sorry
Faith,
My behavior on Halloween was inappropriate. I’m your boss and I overstepped our relationship. I’d like to talk to you about this when you come in, if possible. I’ll be in there when you arrive at 7:00 am.
Kevin

My face went hot when I realized that he was onto my coming in early. I sighed heavily and groaned when I heard a knock at my door, it scared me and I spilled my coffee all over myself and my desk. I spun around, drenched in coffee, to find Kevin at my door.

“I thought I’d come to you,” he said as he rushed to get something from the utility closet outside of my door to clean up the spilled coffee.

I kind of mumbled something unintelligible until he popped back into my office and began wiping up my desk.

“You don’t have to do that, I can get it,” I said grabbing some paper towels and blotting my desk and blouse.

“Look, Faith, can we talk honestly about what happened?”

“Sure,” I got up, closed my door, and offered him a seat. When he sat I looked at him and said, “I like you and I don’t regret what happened, but you’re my boss and I don’t know if I can start something with you for that reason. It seems so cliché and I don’t want it to mar the work I do here.”

“I understand where you’re coming from with that and to be honest, I don’t really know if I could date an employee of mine. But I still like you and I’d like to explore our…relationship.”

“Kevin, I think the timing is just off, I’ve just kind of started dating someone and I want to pursue a relationship with them, so…”

I trailed off and looked down at my now empty coffee cup. Kevin was quiet for awhile and I felt the tension in the room shift.

“I need to tell you something,” he said looking at the ceiling, “I’m…engaged.”

I’m pretty sure my jaw hit the floor before I started to yell.

“WHAT!?”

“It’s not what you think, let me explain.”

“Explain? Explain what? You lied to me!”

“Look, she and I have been having problems lately and I didn’t mean for my feelings for you to develop but they did and now I don’t know what to do. I think I want to be with you more. We have this great chemistry together and we have a lot more in common than Hannah and I.” I cringed at her name and felt bad for her at the same time.

“As far as I’m concerned, you are and will only ever be my boss. Go back to your fiancée, if you don’t want to be with her, why don’t you just be a man and break it off? I won’t be a side-story to your real life, I think it’s time you left my office.”

By the time I had finished I was seething and resolutely turned my back on Kevin until I heard him leave.

I left work early to change and decided to take the rest of the day off. I called Dean and asked him if he could meet me for dinner or something and he agreed. He sensed that there was something wrong but I blew it off and decided to make dinner for the both of us. I also wanted to look damn hot for him. I put on this slinky black halter dress and a pearl necklace and finished it off with some 4 inch black sling backs. By the time he arrived I was feeling better about choosing him over Kevin before he dropped the engagement bomb.

“Mmmm, something smells really good,” Dean said as he walked into my apartment.

“It’s four cheese baked ziti and garlic bread. We’ll see if it’s better than your mom’s cooking.”

“I’ll accept the tasting challenge,” He wrapped his arms around me and from behind and smelled my hair, “You smell like coffee.”

I smiled and pulled him onto the couch for a quick make-out session before dinner. When we were done eating he decided that my four cheese ravioli was definitely the best he ever had…after confessing that his mother has never made it, so I guess I won on default.

After dinner it was snuggle time and he was playing with my hair, I had kicked off my shoes and pulled up my skirt a little, “Are you sure nothing’s wrong?” he said it quietly and kissed my forehead.

“Yeah, it’s just a work thing. My boss…he’s kind of a jerk.” I wanted to change the subject as fast as possible. I mean…talking about your almost boyfriend having a fiancée and being pissed off about it isn’t exactly something you talk about with your actual boyfriend, right?

“But I know something you can do to put me in a better mood…” I started unbuttoning his shirt which seemed to distract his attention, he started kissing my neck and lifting my skirt up. Pretty soon we were half-undressed and he picked me up and carried me to my bedroom to finish what I had started.

4 comments:

  1. I am completely rooting for Dean!

    Who does Kevin think he is? I hate it when men are such wusses. If you don't like the girl you're with, break it off (I had a similar situation that happened to my friend minus the engagement, they're still together). It's the same for women too.

    I don't think this is the last of Kevin. I think he's going to try to get back in Faith's life somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree not the last of Kevin. I did like him, but his confession changed that. Witchy, you can make a google email account with your Witchypoo user, and post comments that way. It's easy and free just go to google mail and follow the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I didn't think that Kevin was such a d-bag. I'm with Jay and Laura, I think Kevin is going to do something to get Faith back. I hope it doesn't ruin what she has with Dean...that would be uncool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin is certainly a shady guy. What a jerk!

    ReplyDelete