Saturday, November 7, 2009

Halloween Spectacular!

Tonight was our paper’s annual Halloween party. The HR department was responsible for throwing it together so I showed up early to start spreading out refreshments and decorations with Corey and Paula, our HR interns. Once everyone started to show up I changed into my pumpkin costume and went to seek out Dina and Suzy.

“Hey guys, nice costumes!” I said as I saw my two friends. Suzy was dressed as cat woman and Dina was dressed as Elphaba from the musical (and book) Wicked complete with green skin and bright red lipstick. They enjoyed my costume as well and we talked about the new theories surrounding George’s resignation.

“So Hector’s been hearing all sorts of gossip in the mail room and he told me that Kevin was hand-picked by George to take his place, so at least we’re in good hands, right? Anyway he also found out that George recently joined a gym and is dating a supermodel-“Suzy started going into more detail before I had to stop her.

“Suzy. Stop. George join a gym? The man had a cheeseburger everyday for lunch and was proud of it! Dating a supermodel? I doubt it; he only ever had eyes for his wife. I think Hector’s “facts” need to be scrutinized before all these rumors about George get out of control.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right, that doesn’t sound like George. But neither does him leaving without telling anyone why.”

Dina agreed and I looked at both of them, “You said he chose Kevin himself right?”

“Yeah.”

“So I’ll ask Kevin about it.”

Before they could stop me I turned around and started looking for him in the crowd. I saw him a few moments later and smiled, his costume was great. I waved and walked over to him.

“Hey Kevin, Happy Halloween, oh by the way do you have any idea why George left? I mean don’t get me wrong, we’re all real glad you’re part of the team, but George didn’t tell any of us he was leaving and I think we all deserve to know.”

He smiled and cocked his head, “Wow, you get right to the point don’t you, Faith?”

“I’m sorry I’m coming off as rude, but there’s all these rumors about George going around the office, really ridiculous ones, and I don’t think George deserves it, do you?”

“Well, no, I guess not. Okay, then. George’s wife was diagnosed with cancer again so he decided to quit working and travel with her before she gets too sick. It’s terminal, they gave her a year.”

When Kevin stopped talking I looked around and noticed that everyone around us was listening and taking in the news. Suddenly Dina’s voice came from the crowd.

“Why didn’t he tell us, though? He knew we all would have supported him.” Her statement was met with vigorous nods from the rest of the staff.

“George is coming back to collect his things in a few weeks, he and his wife are on a cruise in the Mediterranean right now. He was going to tell you all when he got back. They left the day I was introduced to you all. It was all very last minute. I’m sorry you were all so concerned but I felt this news should come from George.”

The crowd broke their focus from him to talk about George’s situation and I was left alone to talk with Kevin.

“Um, I’m sorry, my concern for George got the best of me, I just wanted to know that he was okay,” I said looking down at my feet.

“It’s fine, really. I was going to make an announcement on Monday about it. I’ve been hearing the rumors, too, and you were right; George doesn’t deserve the gossiping with everything he’s going through. I’m glad that this happened actually, it saves me a mass e-mail and all-staff meeting.” He smiled and I blushed.

When the party was done and the interns and I began cleaning up, I noticed that Kevin stayed to help too. When we were done he offered to give the interns and me a ride back to our apartments because it had started to rain. The three of us said yes and we piled into his car. Corey and Paula made small talk with Kevin while he drove. He dropped them off first. When we were alone he looked at me and smiled.

“I like your costume,” he said, “It’s very original.” I laughed at this and complimented his in return.

When we reached my apartment he got out and opened the door for me, I looked at him for a moment before I thanked him for the ride. I began walking up the stoop to my apartment building when he called my name. I turned around.

“Yes?”

“Could…Would it be….I’d really…” he stopped talking and walked toward me and held my hand. Then he kissed me and things became very heated. We disconnected from each other when a gaggle of children trick-or-treating walked by. We smiled at each other and started laughing. He said good night and I watched him walk away in his ridiculous pumpkin costume. Mine was way better.

No comments:

Post a Comment