Friday, February 20, 2015

End of The Road

“Who the HELL allowed this to happen!?”

Maggie was yelling at Tony and all of Mike’s friends in the burn unit’s waiting room. She was absolutely distraught and taking it out on everyone around her. It got to the point where the hospital staff threatened to call security unless she left Mike’s room until she calmed down. Incidentally, calming down was the opposite of what she was doing in the waiting room.


“Maggie, it was an accident.” I said.

She rounded on me, her eyes wild.

“And why are YOU even here!?”

“Sarah, can you talk to her?” I asked.

Sarah was standing in the corner, crying and chewing on her nails.

“M-Maggie, just STOP!” Sarah said.

Maggie went off and started yelling even more but Sarah grabbed her and pulled her into a hug.

“I know you’re upset but yelling at everyone isn’t going to help Mike. You’re just wasting time you could be spending with him. He doesn’t have much left.” Sarah said.

Maggie started sobbing, threw Sarah off of her, and composed herself. She walked out of the waiting room and into Mike’s room. We decided to give her some privacy and let things de-escalate. I sighed and rubbed my face. It was the middle of the night. Claire had landed and was going to arrive any minute. I hoped her presence would calm Maggie. I decided to grab some coffee.

“Here.” I said sitting next to Maggie and handing her the extra cup I bought.

She stared at it angrily before accepting it. Mike wasn’t awake. I tried to avoid looking at him, every time I did, my heart broke all over again.

“Sarah’s asleep. She’s in the waiting room sleeping on a couch.” I said swirling my coffee.

“I appreciate that you called me so I could be here but I think it’s time you left. My family and I can handle this together.” Maggie said.

I was confused and didn’t understand what she was saying at first. When I did make the realization I was indignant, but held back my emotions.

“Maggie, I have every right to be here. Mike is my fiancé. I love him just as much as you do.” I said it quietly and as placidly as possible.

I didn’t want to rile her up again but I couldn’t believe she was telling me to get out.

“We don’t need you here, Faith.”

“I think Mike would want me here. He was asking for me in the ER today.”

“Well, he’s seen you,” she sniffed, “And now you can go. I’ll make sure Sarah updates you when he’s discharged.”

I looked at Maggie like she’d electrocuted me.

“Maggie…you spoke to the doctors. You know Mike doesn’t have much time. He’s never going to be discharged. He’s…Maggie, he’s dying.”

It hurt to say it again.

“I’m going to get a second opinion. What do they know, anyway? Sarah said he was talking, earlier. 

When they remove this thing he’ll be fine.”

“Maggie.” I couldn’t believe her denial, “He’s not going to survive this.”

“See? This is why you should leave. Mike doesn’t need any negativity right now.”

“I’m not leaving, Maggie.”

Sarah walked in and we both stopped talking.

“Um…is something going on? Is Mike okay?” She asked.

“He’s fine for right now.” I said giving her a reassuring smile.

“Claire is here. I thought one of you would want to talk to her before she sees him.” Sarah said.

Maggie stood up and put her arm around Sarah as they walked outside. I looked at Mike sadly and desperately wished he was awake. There was so much I wanted to say to him. I held his hand and let a tear slip out. He moved his hand to wipe it away, when I looked up he was staring at me.

“I love you.” I said.

He nodded.

“I’m so sorry this happened. I thought we’d have more time together.”

He squeezed my hand. I sniffled and smiled through my tears to try and be positive for him.

“But, hey, your sisters are here. All three of them. Claire just arrived and should be in soon to see you. It’s so great that you’re awake to see them.”

His eyes lit up and my heart broke again.

“I’ll go get them, okay?”

He nodded and I got up. When I stepped outside his room Maggie and Claire were talking. Claire was teary as she listened to Maggie.

“…but I’m going to get a second opinion. When he’s discharged he can live with me until he completely recuperates.”

“You guys, he’s awake.”

Claire practically ran into the room and to Mike’s bedside. I decided to give them some privacy as a family. I went to the waiting room and sat down next to Tony.

“What happened, exactly?” I asked him.

Tony’s eyes were swollen.

“We were at this apartment fire. We got the mom out and two of her kids out but then she started screaming about her third kid. Mike went in to go find him and the ceiling collapsed. He was trapped between burning beams. I pulled him out, but it was too late.”

I listened numbly.

“Was the kid okay?” I asked after a long pause.

“He died. They found his body after the fire was put out. He was hiding in the kitchen pantry with the dog.”

“Tony…have you been in to see him yet?” I asked suddenly realizing that maybe he hadn’t.

“I got to talk to him before you got here. We all did.”

“That’s good.” I nodded.

And then suddenly I just couldn’t keep it in anymore. I started sobbing and Tony pulled me into him. We sat like that for a long time until I sat back up and wiped my eyes.

“I’m sorry.” I said feeling embarrassed.

“Hey don’t apologize.” Tony said, “This…fucking sucks.”

I nodded.

“Faith? Something’s happening.” Sarah said from the waiting room entrance. She was as white as a sheet.

I hurried to Mike’s room but Maggie and Claire were standing outside of it.

“What’s happening?” I asked.

“They’re intubating him.” Maggie said, “He can’t breathe on his own anymore.”

“What?” I said, “He doesn’t want that! Tell them to stop!”

I ran past her into Mike’s room.

“Stop! Please! He doesn’t want this! He said no life support!” I said.

The doctor looked up with confusion.

“Do it.” Maggie said after following in behind me, “I’m his sister. I’m his family. She isn’t.”

The doctor continued.

“Stop!” I turned to Maggie, “He specifically told me this isn’t what he wanted.”

When I looked back to Mike the doctor was finished and there was a machine breathing for him. I felt like I was going to throw up.

“How could you do that to him?”

“What? Save his life?”

“Maggie his going to DIE. He doesn’t want his suffering to be prolonged!”

“I see, so he only told this to you. How convenient. I never liked you, Faith, but I never would have thought you’d want to actually kill my brother.”

I had no words. I shook my head and stared at Mike.

“If you don’t leave, I’m going to have them call security.” Maggie said.

“What!?” I rounded on her.

I hadn’t noticed Claire or Sarah come into the room.

“Maggie, Faith has every right to be here.” Claire said with disgust at her sister’s behavior.

“And she’s not lying.” Sarah said, “Mike told me he didn’t want this, too. This isn’t what he wanted, Maggie.”

I’m not going to let him die.” Maggie said, “And Faith is not part of our family.”

“You weren’t here when daddy was dying! You don’t know how agonizing that was to watch! Mike does. He didn’t want that for himself.”

Sarah was breathing hard, it was the first time I’d ever seen her yell at Maggie. It was the first time I’d ever seen anyone yell at Maggie. Maggie’s face looked like she’d been slapped. She stood there speechless but blinked and took a deep breath before surveying all of us.

“So…all of you want to kill him? FINE.”

She left and came back with the doctor who, honestly, looked terrified of Maggie.

“Go ahead. Turn it all off.” She said angrily.

“Wait.” Claire said.

She sat next to Mike and motioned for me to do the same. I sat next to him and held his hand, Sarah sat next to Claire and hugged her. Maggie Crossed her arms and stood at the end of his bed, glaring angrily. Claire nodded to the doctor and they started turning off all of Mike’s machines. My hand shook holding Mike’s as I prepared myself.

He died fifteen minutes later surrounded by his family, peacefully. Claire, Sarah, and I hugged each other when it was over but we were interrupted by Maggie.

“I hope you’re all happy.” She said angrily, “Faith, you killed him.”

“I did NOT, Maggie! How DARE you! This was-”

“What he wanted. Yeah, fine. Don’t worry about the funeral, Faith. You are not welcome to come.”

“Maggie!” Claire and Sarah said together.

“Shut up!” She barked at them, “If you come to his funeral I swear to GOD I will have you arrested for harassment! Have a nice life! I hope you can live with yourself!”

I looked at Claire and Sarah. They were defeated and exhausted and gave me sorry looks but said nothing. I looked back at Maggie and refused to cry in front of her.

I took a deep breath and walked over to Mike’s bedside. I kissed his forehead, wiped away a tear, and then held my head up high and walked past Maggie out of the room.


22 comments:

  1. What a bitch! I don't care if she's grieving that's no excuse to be like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie's attitude towards everyone is only going to alienate her from everybody. The family has seen so much tragedy, they need each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally have no words for how awful of a person Maggie is. Who talks to people that way and thinks that it's even remotely acceptable?? Ugh. Poor Faith. POOR MIKE! Hopefully he wasn't able to hear what was being said. -- but seriously, this blog is breaking my heart right now. And also, thank you SO much for taking the time to get the blog caught up. You and your writing are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Sarah and Claire stand up to Maggie for Faith's sake regarding the funeral. She is his fiancee and that makes her family. She has every right to be there. What kills me is I am sure the next conversation will be Maggie screaming to get the engagement ring that Mike gave Faith back.

    I think Maggie has serious psychological problems and needs professional help. Too bad her symptoms are causing her family so much pain.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was hard, I hated the relationship between her and Mike and never felt they were in love. But I didn't want this to end them by him dying...I don't know I just feel weird about this

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wish Mike was written off in a different way since it has been clear the he wasn't part of where the story was heading. I feel like Mike's character was crapped on for the most part since they got back together(because we hear things from Faith's p.o.v) and then he was simply cut. I really wish it hadn't ended here and like this for Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry but this doesn't make sense. At the end of the last post they already put a breathing tube in. (I just reread it to confirm). So he already had one in And now they're putting one in again? That doesn't make any sense. There was nothing about them taking the first one out so why are they then inserting ANOTHER one? That's not how it works....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe del meant a oxygen tube last time, like a nasal cannula or maybe del isn't a doctor or nurse or maybe didn't have the misfortune of having to learn about life support and respirators

      Delete
    2. But then why write about it if you don't do your research. Honestly this whole situation doesn't make sense. If he was that badly burned he wouldn't have ever been able to see anyone (serious infection control risk) and they would have intubated him in the ambulance. Sorry but it's so hard to believe when you don't even write it the correct way. And he would be able to talk it he were on O2 no matter what kind (nasal cannula or face mask) I don't know this whole post was just wrong on the medical side

      Delete
    3. but she is in the medical field - she took the MCAT and is either in medical school or applying to it and doing some sort of school work related to the medical field. which is why i'm like wtf? this doesn't make sense and she knows better. she's a fantastic writer and this storyline and the specifics are the first time i'm disappointed in the blog.

      Delete
    4. You can intubate someone in advance of putting them on a ventilator. The tube from an intubation just provides the open airway; the ventilator actually breathes for the patient, so the post makes absolute sense.
      Sara
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracheal_intubation

      Delete
    5. Yes absolutely but you cannot talk while intubated and he would not have any visitors just going in and out if he were a burn victim because he would be immediately rushed to the ICU and honestly don't Wikipedia anything....it doesn't give the most accurate information hah

      Delete
    6. And intubating him would go against his wishes to not be on any life preserving means so he would have never been in this situation post his conversation with Faith.

      Delete
    7. Mike didn't talk with the breathing tube. Faith talked to him, and he responded non-verbally (squeezing her hand, his eyes lighting up when he heard his sister was there, etc).

      I can't speak about the special burn victim circumstances, but breathing tubes don't necessarily mean life support. Patients getting surgery, and those people that are in critical condition but not beyond the point of survival, get them as well. I think Mike meant that if it got to the point where he flatlined, or would never be able to be off the machines, he didn't want that.

      That's how I read it anyway...

      Delete
    8. You absolutely cannot put a breathing tube down someone's throat and not have them hooked up to a ventilator. You cannot breathe with a tube in your throat and no bagging (giving oxygen) or being hooked up to the ventilator. He would never have a tube in and not be hooked up to a ventilator.

      - an ICU RN

      Delete
    9. It's fiction, people. Relax.

      Delete
  8. Lazy writing. That's all I'm going to say about this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. " Well that escalated quickly!" - Ron Burgundy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is insane. It has to be a bad dream. mum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope so. I just feel his ending was wrong on many levels maybe if Del explains maybe we would understand but maybe not. I liked Mike the first go around but I knew inside he wasn't probably going to be end game since that was her first mature relationship. I felt he was the set up guy for the one but this should not be his ending and his family dynamic is tragic. I am confused.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Del enjoys breaking people's hearts especially mine, Faiths entire life has been one f'd up heart break after another, always keeping us on our toes, .. i think i have trust issues now from this blog lol jk ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chris - @nylonlover69 on IG/TwitterJuly 15, 2015 at 3:39 PM

    Wow... a lot has happened in the last few weeks while I've been swamped at work and on vacation.

    ReplyDelete