Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Living Nightmare

I hit the sidewalk after my meeting and took out my phone. I had three missed calls from a number I didn’t know. As I stared at my phone in confusion another call came through from the same number.

“Hello?”

“Faith? It’s Tony.”

“Tony?” I realized it was Mike’s best friend, “Is…what’s going on?”

I could tell by his voice that something bad had happened. I don’t remember things very well in the immediate time after that. It’s all a blur. Tony told me I needed to come to the hospital right away. That there had been an accident and Mike was hurt. I hailed a cab but I don’t remember the ride to the hospital at all.

When I walked into the emergency room lobby, Tony was waiting for me.

“He’s in bad shape.” Tony said.

I looked around and all of Mike’s crew was there in various states of disarray. Tony was covered in smudges of soot and had a bandage on his arm.

“We need you to call his sisters. None of us know their phone numbers.”

I stared at Tony, not understanding for a moment.

“Faith?”

I pulled myself together.

“Yes. Of course. I’ll call Sarah.”

I didn’t have Maggie or Claire’s phone numbers but Sarah definitely would. My mouth was dry as I looked her name up in my contacts. It rang for what seemed like forever.

“Hello?”

“Hi Sarah, it’s Faith.”

“Faith, hi! I’m so glad you called, I wanted to tell you again how excited I am that you’re going be my sister! I can’t wait until the wedding! Can I go with you when you try on your dress?”

“Uh…yeah, sure, listen…Sarah…your brother’s been hurt. I think you should come down to the hospital right away.”

“How bad is it?” Sarah asked in a small voice.

“I…I haven’t seen him yet but…I think you should get down here as soon as possible.”

She hung up and I looked at Tony.

“Where is he? Can I see him?”

Tony went to get Mike’s doctor who pulled me aside into a private area. Mike had been asking for me since he arrived.

“Mike suffered severe burns over 75% of his body. I will take you back but I want you to be prepared for what you’ll see when you go into his room. We had to make incisions in his chest to help his skin expand so he could breathe. He has a lot of tubes going into his body. We’re trying to maintain his fluid volume and prevent infection as well as lessen the toxins in his body that are being released by the burned tissue.”

I looked at the doctor and swallowed.

“Yes.”

He turned to take me to Mike’s room but I stopped him.

“Is…will Mike recover?”

“The chance of survival for burns this severe over such a large part of his body is very low. We’re doing what we can to make him comfortable but, eventually, he will not be able to get enough oxygen to his body and will need to be placed on a ventilator. He will probably never come off of it.”

“How long does he have before…?”

“It could be a few hours or a few days.”

“Is he in pain?”

“The nerve endings in his skin have been destroyed, he can’t feel anything.”

“Does…does Mike know that he’s going to die?”

“He’s a firefighter. I’m sure he knows how bad this is.”

“Are you ready to see him?”

I took a deep breath and nodded. The doctor opened a door and I saw Mike on a hospital bed.

“We’re going to be moving him to the burn unit in a few hours.”

“Thank you.”

A nurse brought me a chair so I could sit next to his bed.

“Faith.” Mike said.

“Hey, sweetheart.” I said softly as I sat down.

I looked at his body and was stricken with fear. His skin no longer looked like skin. The smell made vomit come up into the back of my mouth. I swallowed it and took the rest of him in. Mike’s head, neck, and left arm and hand were the only parts of his body that looked human. Everything else was red and oozing. I wanted to be strong for Mike but my eyes welled up as I touched his hand.

“Oh, Faith, it looks worse than it is. I don’t even feel it. I’ll be fine in a few days.”

His eyes were pleading and I nodded. I held up his hand to my face and kissed his palm.

“Mike…”

“Listen…I….I’m gonna get better but…if I don’t, I don’t want to be put on life support, okay?”

“Mike…”

“Promise me you won’t let that happen.”

“You need to make sure the doctors know that.” I said.

“I will, but I just wanted to see you first. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

“Faith?” Tony had opened the door.

He motioned me to come over.

“I’ll be right back, okay?” I said to Mike.

“Sarah is here.” Tony said, “I think you should talk to her before she sees him.”

I nodded and headed back out to the lobby. Sarah hugged me.

“How is he?” She asked.

I pulled Sarah over to some chairs and we sat down.

“Sarah, Mike is really sick. I think you should talk to his doctor.”

“No. I don’t want to wait. Just tell me.”

“He has really bad burns. He’s going to die, Sarah.”

She started crying and I pulled her to me. I looked at the ceiling and took a deep breath.

“Can I see him?” Sarah asked.

I nodded and took her to Mike’s room.

“Sarah, he has a lot of tubes and monitors on, okay? But he can talk and he’s comfortable. Can’t feel any pain.”

She nodded and walked into his room. She immediately burst into tears and shuffled to his bedside.

“Hey, kid, don’t cry. I’m going to be fine!”

Mike put his hand on her shoulder as her body shook with sobs. I stood by the door and hugged myself. I sat next to her and Mike quietly while I picked the nail polish off my nails out of panic. I was trying so hard to keep it together for Mike. We sat like that for about an hour and a half until Sarah left to get some coffee. I told Mike I’d be back and followed her out.

“Sarah, we need to call Maggie and Claire. I don’t have their numbers.”

She nodded and handed me her phone.

“Can you do it Faith? Please?”

I nodded, took her phone, and dialed Claire first. It was a difficult call to make but Claire said she’d be on the first flight out. I stared at the phone for a few seconds before dialing Maggie’s number.

“Hello?”

“Maggie, hi, this is Faith. I’m using Sarah’s phone to-”

“Why are you calling me? To gloat over the engagement?”

“No, Maggie, you need to-”

“I don’t NEED to do anything, Faith.”

“Maggie, please, listen to me, Mike is sick, he’s-”

“Maybe he regrets proposing.”

I wasn’t sure why Maggie was being SO hostile and nasty but it was definitely clear she didn’t approve of Mike proposing to me and was probably pissed that I was wearing her dead mother’s ring.

“There was an accident and Mike is in the hospital. He’s very sick and you should come down here right away.”

“What do you mean there was an accident!? Why didn’t you say something!? I’ll be there soon!”

She hung up and I gave Sarah back her phone. When we got back to Mike’s room he told Sarah the same thing he’d told me about life support. She started crying and shook her head.

“Sarah, listen, I don’t want to be kept alive like dad was. On machines and in pain. If I get that bad just let me go, okay?”

She nodded and wiped away tears. Several nurses came in and got him ready for transfer to the burn unit. A nurse showed us where to sit until Mike was situated. A few minutes later they took us into his room and I was startled to see that he had a breathing tube in his mouth. With a sinking feeling in my gut I realized Mike didn’t tell any of the hospital staff about his wishes. The doctor walked in and I pulled him aside.

“Why is he on that?”

“It’s just to make it easier for him to breathe. In a few minutes, he’ll wake up and you’ll be able to talk to him.”


Just as the doctor finished talking, Maggie walked into the room.

21 comments:

  1. Poor Mike but something tells me that Faith is going to use this as a way out of the engagement she doesn't really want, which is a cowards way out and I understand she tried to tell Mike she didn't want it but still.

    http://doespixidustwork.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I agree with you. While she did need to talk to him she also didn't know this was going to happen so I don't think if he dies it's a cowards way out.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I didn't see that coming. This is right up there with Anna's death. I was not a fan of Mike, but this is so very sad. I am afraid of how Maggie is going to react.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not okay with this! Mike and faith are not right for eachother right now but he loves her and faith wasn't ready for marriage and she needed time but she could have gotten there, im rambling im upset! I want faith to be with adam but i don't want mike to die, everything sucks im sad, his family does not need this! This is ridiculous both parents now mike, i feel so sad for Sarah! Del i demand you to fix this!! ...love your writing and your blog but you're breaking my heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy shit! I don't want them together, but I dont want him dead! It"s too much, TOO MUCH! Fantastic writing though, this is one of the few times I've felt something with any blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....coming from someone that will be training to be a firefighter...reality just slapped me across the face of the danger. Still gonna do it, but still! I'm not as sad as with Anna's death...that one I bawled my eyes out. But this is still so freaking sad. Especially because this kind of thing happens every day with firefighters. And I disagree with one of the comments above, I don't think it's the cowards way out for Faith. She didn't have the opportunity to talk to mike and it's not like she set the fire causing the accident. What will suck for her is if he lives and then feels like she has to stay with him during recovery, lest she look like a horrible person. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmmm. I still feel nothing for mike. This post made me feel nothing. Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faith is now going to have to go head to head with Maggie regarding taking him off the ventilator. Faith will want to respect Mike's wishes not to be on it and I'm sure Maggie will push to keep him on it.

    It will also be interesting if Hayley comes by to see him. Not sure if his sisters know about her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feels like this story just jumped the shark........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did right? Kinda feels like a cop out on the writers part. No offense she is a terrific writer, but this just feels sloppy. No resolve just faith now trudging along in guilt for not being 100% sure she wanted to marry mike for justifiable reasons. But its all thrown out the window now. She's a bad guy no matter what.

      Delete
    2. Oh, give me more credit than that. I have SO many more sharks to jump than this one.
      -del

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend! I'm just disappointed. I was looking forward to faith asserting herself with mike. And growing. And telling Maggie off. But she can't do it now. Mike is dying how heartless would she be if she did that? And yeah she will probably still tell off Maggie but with the safety net of knowing she won't ruin her relationship with mike. And now we won't know if that's the only reason she finally stood up for herself :(
      I think you are an amazing writer and I've enjoyed your story immensely! Xoxo Stacy ( 2nd anon FYI)

      Delete
    4. I'm not offended. I'm glad you enjoy the story. Hopefully you'll still like it after the next post.

      ;)

      -del

      Delete
    5. Oh goodness is faith going to marry mike on his deathbed??? Ahhhhh!!!! Lol

      Delete
    6. This is exactly what I was thinking....

      Delete
    7. I'm hoping this is a bad dream Faith is having but somehow I don't think this is the case.

      Delete
  9. I hope that Mike does wake up and is able to voice his desires. If he doesn't and Maggie disagrees, would family decisions trump a fiancée's? Even if Sarah corroborated Mike's wishes? Very sad. mum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike isn't sick, he's injured. Semantics, I know, but still. When she called Maggie to talk and his sister started in on her, it was the perfect time for Faith to find her freaking backbone and tell her to zip it, but she didn't. And unfortunately that made me lose more respect for Faith. More so than accepting a ring from someone she knows she can't marry. Ugh. I've never said this before, but I hope this storyline doesn't get dragged out. Maggie's going to fight on the DNR he verbally expressed, because she's the guy who would.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope this is a dream. I am not a Mike fan like that but this shouldn'tbehow they end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been a fan of Mike but I don't like the idea of him dying like this

    http://are-they-worth-it.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete