Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Cold Shoulders

“I don’t know what to do.” I said into the phone.

“Have you tried calling him?” Penny asked.

“I don’t know what to say to him.”

Mike and I hadn’t talked since our fight and I wasn’t sure what to do. I didn’t feel like I did anything wrong and I wasn’t sure what he exactly he wanted from me. I’d asked Zoey for some advice a few days after and she wasn’t sure what I should do, either. Penny was trying but her ideas were the same ones I had been going over and over and deciding against. After five more minutes I sighed and we said good bye.

“Trouble with Mike?” Molly asked from the breakfast nook.

It was inevitable that Molly was going to find out about this since she was my roommate. I know she doesn’t like the fact that I chose Mike over Adam and it’s caused us a lot of tension so there was an unspoken rule that we just wouldn’t talk about it. Apparently, Molly was ready to break that rule. And to be honest, so was I because I needed advice, badly.

I sighed and got up to get some coffee. She was reading the paper but put it down when I sat across from her.

“Mike and I got into a fight.”

I told her the whole long story and then waited for her input.

“Okay.” She said and then went back to reading her paper.

“That’s it? You have nothing else to add?” I asked with confusion.

“I do have more I want to add, but I don’t think you’ll want to hear it, so I’m keeping it to myself.” She said matter-of-factly.

I sat up straighter and debated on whether I wanted to hear what she had to say or not. Curiosity got the best of me and I wish now that I had just gotten up and walked away.

“No, tell me.”

“Mike doesn’t trust you, Faith. And he can say he’s move on from you cheating all he wants but his actions speak louder than words.”

I stared at my coffee cup and she continued.

“The truth of the matter is that Mike was never in love with you. He was in love with an idea of you he had in his head and he wasn’t willing to see past it. When he was forced to because you cheated on him? He told himself it was a fluke in this perfect idea he had of you. But you keep cracking this façade he’s made for you whether you realize it or not. And maybe you’ve realized this or maybe you haven’t but you like pretending to be the girl Mike thinks you are. It upsets you when you can’t.”
I shook my head angrily.

“That’s ridiculous.”

“Is it?” Molly looked up from her paper, “Faith, you waited to tell Mike about sleeping with Brad for the very obvious reason that it was going to hurt him but also because you knew it was going to shatter the image Mike had of you. And it did. That’s why you took him breaking things off as hard as you did: because you did something terrible and you wanted to pretend that you weren’t capable of that. Just like Mike believed.”

“Come on, Molly. I’ve seen Mike at his worst and he’s seen me at mine. He knows exactly who I am.”

“How can he know who you are when you only let him see the sides of you that you want him to see; the sides of you that you know he likes?”

I made a scoffing sound.

“Mike and I are very honest with each other. Since we got back together, there isn’t a single thing I haven’t talked to him about. He knew I was coming out of a serious relationship. He knows-”

“Does he know who that relationship was with?”

I said nothing.

“Does he know that you started dating Brad almost immediately after he dumped you?”

Silence.

“Does he know you were pregnant with Brad’s baby?”

“How dare y-”

“No, how dare you!” Molly set her paper down angrily and leaned slightly forward towards me across the table, “You think you’ve turned a new leaf. You think that you’ve got this awesome clean slate start with Mike but you don’t, Faith! Wake up and realize it! You should not be dating him. He doesn’t know who you are anymore and you’re pretending like he does! Mike doesn’t trust you because he shouldn’t. You are in love with someone else and you are pretending like you’re fine! You are showing Mike the façade he wants to see and the reason you don’t know how to handle this fight between the two of you is because you don’t know how the Faith that Mike thinks he’s dating should react!”

“You don’t know anything!” I stood up and walked toward my room, “Mike knows who I am and he is falling in love with me all over again.”

“Okay. Then tell him that you got an abortion and see how he responds when you add another crack to his idea of you.”

I spun on my heel with rage coursing through me.

“Fuck you, Molly!”

I slammed my bedroom door and spilled the mug of coffee I was holding all over my hand.

“Dammit!” I shouted.

Sasha whimpered on my bed and I sat against the door and started crying. Molly was wrong. How could she be right? She knew nothing about my relationship with Mike now. She doesn’t know how he and I interact together and she has no idea how I act when I’m around him because she’s made it impossible for me to let her into what is going on with that part of my life. I sat against my door and felt exhausted. Feeling judged constantly by her was getting to be too much. I’ve felt like I have to walk on eggshells around her whenever we’re both home at the same time. When I came out of my room a few hours later, Molly was gone. She’d gone over to Calvin’s again.


A few days later, Molly knocked on my bedroom door.

“Come in.”

“Hey.” She said sadly, “Can we talk for a second?”

I nodded and she sat on my bed.

“Faith…I can’t keep doing this.” She sounded tired.

“Me, either.”

“I’m going to move in with Calvin. I’ll be out within the week. I just think that this living situation isn’t working anymore and I like having you as my friend…so for our friendship, I think we need to stop living together.”

“What?” I was hurt and sad. I’d been living with Molly for years.

“I just think it’s time, plus Calvin has been hounding me to move in with him. I already spend 90% of my time at his place anyway. It just makes more sense. And it’s closer to work…”

She looked up at me with guilt in her eyes.

“How long have you known that you were going to move out?” I asked quietly.

“About a month.”

“You’ve been planning this for a month and you’re only now just telling me!?”
I was hurt and frustrated and upset. She was giving me a week to figure out what I was going to do when she could have given me more time. I can’t afford our apartment by myself and there’s no way I could find a reliable roommate within a week OR find a new apartment and make plans to move in a week, either.

“I just think we both need our space and I wasn’t sure how to tell you.”

“Molly, just get out. I don’t care anymore.” I said angrily.


Not only did Molly drop this huge bomb on me but she also did it at the last minute. I can’t believe her!

13 comments:

  1. She is dead right about the Mike thing, but it was dirty of Molly to only give her a week's notice to figure out living arrangements

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly does have insight usually that Faith can't see, but her delivery could be improved upon. I don't think she or Faith would be easy people to live with, but she really should have given her more notice--like a month's notice, at least. I still feel like Faith's friends are all really judgmental.

    http://sluttyisthenewblack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd rather have a friend who called me out on my shit than someone who said only what I wanted to hear. I'm glad Molly said those things... yes, they were extremely harsh but it was necessary. Faith is lying to herself and to Mike. She's obviously still in love with Adam and the fact that she's mad at Mike for lying to her is so hypocritical. Therapy is obviously not working for her.

    On the other hand, Molly should probably have given her proper notice about moving out. One week is really no time to find someone else.

    I really hope that these two can repair their friendship but I think it's going to take a long time to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this blog over ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a new post, the dates don't match because she is keeping with the timeline of the story.

      Delete
  5. I feel for Faith but at the same time she needed to hear the unfiltered truth, no matter how bad it hurt. I don't agree with Molly giving Faith last minute notice about moving especially when she had known much longer but then again I imagine Molly has been playing out the best way to have this conversation for weeks.

    On another note, thanks to anonymous for explaining the date discrepancies. I was going crazy about that but it makes sense now that you say it!

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that was ugly. Don't know why Faith tells Molly she wants her real opinion, when really she *doesn't*. Molly did warn her that it wasn't anything Faith would want to hear. It's rare that anyone really wants the unvarnished truth. On another note, though, I can't believe Molly would wait until the last minute to let Faith know she's moving out. *That* was really negligent...and kind of bitchy. How's Faith supposed to make the best out of that situation (no roommate), when she has practically zero notice? It's almost like Molly just doesn't care what kind of circumstances Faith winds up in. Trying to figure out how to tell her is just an excuse for Molly's extreme inconsideration. I'd be pretty pissed if I were Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was harsh, but completely necessary. Its not Faith fault, nor Mike's, that they simply grew apart and are not the same person(image) they knew before. Although i do think that Molly didnt need to mention the abortion or that chapter of Faith's life. From what I remember(correct me if im wrong) didnt Faith date Brad because she wanted to punish herself - or something along those lines? She didnt want to be with him at all but thought that since she cheated with him, she has to suffer the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa Molly how long have you been waiting to let that one out? Lol she jumped at the chance and ran w it. Too far in my opinion lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. oohhhh my gosh. I mean clearly Molly was harboring those thoughts for awhile, and given the opportunity she opened the flood gates. While I do think some of the stuff she said was a little harsh, Faith definitely needed to hear it from someone who wasn't going to sugarcoat. I DO think that shes just going through the motions with Mike and has this idea of how things are supposed to be, not how they really are. Regardless of what she says or is trying to convince herself, I think we all know shes not over Adam. However, I think its super shitty that Molly only gave her a week to figure out the living situation...I get they weren't on the best of terms so they probably weren't talking much, but seriously. You've been friends for how long...show a little decency.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely think it was time that Faith heard what Molly said. I wonder if the decision to move out within the week came because of that situation. I would think that even if she wanted to move out she would have given decent notice, but now that the conversation escalated to the depths it did, it just pushed Molly out the door......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I can relate to Molly. I often have friends get mad at me for expressing my opinion. Especially my more emotional friends. It's not that I don't love them, I love them too much to see them hurt anymore. And I think Molly gets pegged as this bad guy for poor delivery when she's just at her wits end. I feel for her. And Faith. She's just so lost.

    ReplyDelete