Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Discussions

I found myself sitting across the table from Mike, staring at him icily. How we got here, I’ll never know. Things seemed so great and yet, here I was, confronting my boyfriend about cheating on me. I’d hoped I’d never be in this situation again, and I’d never thought it would have been with Mike but here I was, waiting for him to explain himself.

After I left the morning after I saw him with that other woman, Mike could tell something was up. He sent me a text asking where I disappeared to and I gave him an excuse about needing to run some early morning errands for work. He seemed to buy that explanation but the reality of it was I needed someone to talk to and I needed some times alone. Molly was out; she couldn’t be objective about this. Zoey was out for the same reason. And that’s how I ended up talking to Penny over her lunch break a few days later.

“So…he lied to you?”

“Yeah,” I stabbed my chicken salad, “he said he was at work.”

“Faith, are you absolutely sure he was on a date with her?”

Penny’s question was fair but I just couldn’t see any other scenario and I told her so.

“If it wasn’t a date, why did he lie?”

“Men lie all the time. Maybe he lied because he knew it would bother you?”

“But it wouldn’t have. And I feel like Mike would know it wouldn’t have bothered me. He’s allowed to hang out with whatever friends he wants. I’ve never banned a boyfriend from having friends. I’ve never been that girl. Why would Mike think that I was?”

Penny gave me a helpless look and shrugged.

“I don’t know what to do.” I sighed.

“I think you need to talk to him and get the full story. It’s going to suck, but obviously it needs to happen. And the sooner the better.”

I knew she was right. It was just not a conversation I wanted to have with him.

“You have to be tactful about it, though,” Penny took a sip of water, “you can’t just go in there pissed off and start accusing him of cheating on you. You need to let him have the opportunity to tell you on his own.”

I nodded but that sounded like a pretty difficult task. If someone doesn’t want to admit to cheating, they’ll put off telling you for as long as possible. I would know…

Fast forward to later that evening and I found myself waiting for Mike to get home from work across the street from his building. When I saw his car pull up, I realized he wasn’t alone. That same woman was in the passenger side of his car and I wondered if he’d even been at work at all. He pulled into the underground garage and I stood on the sidewalk feeling a range of emotions from anger, rage, sadness, and shock. I stood there for a few moments and took some deep breaths. I knew I needed to be calm, that Penny was right and I couldn’t just start accusing him of anything. I reminded myself of that as I walked across the street and into his apartment building.

His face when he opened the door looked caught off guard.

“Hey,” I said trying to sound bright, “I was in the neighborhood and thought I’d stop by.”

“Oh…uh…” Mike’s eyes shifted as he stood in the opening of his front door.

“Is something wrong?” I asked.

“No…I just have some company over right now.”

I gave him a confused look and he sighed before stepping aside to let me in. The blonde woman was sitting on his couch. I looked at her and then to him and then back to her.

“Hi, I’m Faith.” I held my hand out as I approached her and she shook it after she stood up.

“I…should go.” She said grabbing her coat, “It was nice to meet you.”

She disappeared and Mike and I were left alone in his apartment.

“Um.” I said, “Who was that?”

“Faith, you should sit down.” He said quietly.

I hadn’t really believed that Mike had cheated on me until that moment. I wanted to believe everything was okay and that there was an explanation but it was such an odd exchange and he looked so…sad and nervous as he sat across the table from me. I stared at him angrily and that’s where I found myself this evening. The seconds ticked by and Mike wasn’t saying anything.

“Who is she?” I asked.

Mike rubbed his knees with the palms of his hands and refused to meet my eyes but he still didn’t say anything. I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Are…are you sleeping with her?” I asked quietly. The amount of hurt and betrayal in my voice surprised me but I couldn’t help it.

“What? No!”

“Then who is she, Mike? Why are you acting like this?”

“Faith…her name is Hailey. She’s…she’s my sister.”


24 comments:

  1. Ooooh, did not see that coming. Did his father have an affair?

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see a post!!! I had a feeling he was innocent, a sister, how intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How excited was I to see this posting!!! And yes I knew Mike was innocent, so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post! What a great surprise

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to see new post and that Mike wasn't being shady. I love them together. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why they don't work together, she even talks about pushing forward with him and still in love with someone else.

      Delete
    2. Well, then she either needs to get back together with Adam or leave Mike. She can't keep stringing him along and that's what she's doing.

      Faith has really been disappointing me lately. She doesn't know what she wants and she'll just hurt people along the way. Look at what's happening with Mike. She's accusing him of having an affair and of course, he isn't because he's not that kind of guy.

      I don't think she deserve either of these guys. They're both too good for her.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful surprise to see a post! :) Have missed this blog a tonne! :)

    http://mycautiouslyoptimisticstory.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. first, Yaaaay a post :D

    I had a feeling Mike wasnt cheating, it wouldnt have been logical to ask her to be exclusive if he was. And a sister! wonder whats the story there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterOctober 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM

    Wait, what? His sister? If she and Mike were spending so much time together, why would she bail so quickly instead of sticking around? I'm not buying this just yet...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Color me intrigued!!! So happy you posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hate hate hate her and Mike together it just feels forced. Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This relationship has no romance, just feels like two depressed people together makes me sad

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was nice having a post! As much as we understand, Dec is so far lol. Hoping eventually her and mike split, feel like they are forced

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to see a post, at first I didn't notice it because it said September on the homepage but I think it was just posted recently because I do check back from time to time. Anyone else notice the same thing or am I going crazy?

    I also don't like Mike and Faith together. I hope Adam comes back into the story, I feel like that is the only man who truly understands Faith.

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thing happened to me. You're not losing it!

      Delete
  14. Ugh. I knew Faith was jumping to conclusions again. Leave her, Mike, Leave her now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eeeekkkk such a nice surprise!! Thank you!! And even though he isn't cheating, I still dont think they're right for each other. Can't wait for December :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adam adam adam!!! Please bring him back. Although I guess if he came back it would never be the same which would be disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that would be a good though? If it were different?

      Delete
  17. HO ho !!!! Now there is a surprise!!! Loved seeing these little posts before December! Thank you very much!!!

    I dont always comment, but I read alllll the time - thanks very much for taking time out of your studies and your crazy schedule to do these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nearing to Dec! Can't wait!

    And really hope to see Adam back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's officially December in Australia!!! Can't wait for the next installment hahaha hope everything has been going well with you over your writing break :)

    ReplyDelete