Thursday, September 25, 2014

Dark Elephants

Things at The Glass Penny have been going well. We’ve been discussing the possibility of instituting an internship program for the summer in 2015. Having interns would help keep our costs low and we could offer several different internship positions in a variety of theatre jobs. I’m excited about looking into this more and getting it off the ground, hopefully.

“I could have my own intern for our summer show! It’ll be so cool to be able to teach someone else what I do.” I said.

I was at Mike’s apartment sitting at his kitchen table, telling him about my day while we ate dinner together.

“That’s awesome.” Mike’s enthusiasm didn’t match his words.

He’d been more reserved lately and I wasn’t sure what to say. It felt like Mike wanted to say something but never did and it was a giant elephant in the room. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to address it or not because I wasn’t sure what was going on with him. After dinner we sat on his couch and watched television.

“Do you want to watch Project Runway?” I asked excitedly.

Mike gave me a mock disgusted look.

“No way. Let’s watch Bar Rescue.”

I shrugged and snuggled up to him on the couch as he changed the channel.

“This show grosses me out. It makes me never want to leave my house again.” I joked.

Mike gave a quiet snort to show that he’d heard me and I just couldn’t take it anymore.


I sat up and looked at him.

“Is something bothering you?” I asked him, “You’ve been kind of…distant ever since you told me about Hailey.”

Mike made the face he makes when he’s choosing his words carefully but then he shrugged and shook his head.

“Mike…” I said with a hint of pleading in my voice.

He shut the television off and looked at me.

“It bothers me that you thought I was cheating on you with Hailey.”

I raised my eyebrows at that and closed my mouth. I didn’t want to say anything reactionary without thinking.

“It bothers me that that was the first place your mind would jump to when you saw me with a woman other than you.”

I nodded slowly and acknowledged the words that Mike wasn’t saying. The words that he wanted to say but wouldn’t.

“Because if one of us has the right to suspect the other one is cheating it’s you…” I said quietly.

“Yes!” Mike shouted.

I took a deep, shaky breath and nodded heavily.

“You told me that you had moved past that; that it wasn’t going to be a problem this time.” I said trying to keep the shame out of my voice.

“That was before you had the audacity to accuse me of cheating on you!”

All the anger that Mike had been holding back for the past two weeks came flooding out.

“Mike, you were lying to me about where you were and who you were with…what else was I supposed to think?”

“You could have just trusted me.”

My eyes narrowed.

“Trust that you were lying to me about the time you were spending with someone else? Do you even hear yourself? I’m not going to blindly trust someone who lies to me. What was I supposed to do? Just pretend that I hadn’t caught you in the lie?”

“I didn’t make accusations toward you when you told me you called your ex-boyfriend to try and get back together right when we started dating again!” He said.

“I also didn’t lie to you about that. I told you about it!” I said.

A tear slid down my cheek and I angrily wiped it away while Mike sighed.

“You wanted to know what was bothering me and now you do.” He picked up the remote and turned the television on to signal the end of this conversation.

I stared at the silhouette of his profile against the changing light of the television.

“Mike…I…”

My instinct was to apologize but I don’t feel like I did anything wrong demanding that my boyfriend stop lying to me about the time he was spending with another woman. I shook my head.

“I have to go to work.” I said getting up and putting my shoes on.

“You should probably sleep at your place tonight.” Mike said as I started to leave.

I looked at him and nodded with irritation before closing his door and walking down his hallway alone.



(Author's note: At some point over my hiatus I broke a million pageviews for this blog (counting from when it started five years ago). WOW! -del)

17 comments:

  1. yeah.. they're not going to last....

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh :( Mike shouldn't have lied, or held in anger, I feel like this only dragged things out more.

    Congrats on the million pageviews, Del!

    http://sluttyisthenewblack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have trusted me as I was lying to you!

    Uhm, that's not how it works Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. R u trying to make the Team Mike peeps dislike him and then bring Adam back into the picture? Just a thought....mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - @nylonlover69 on Twitter/IGDecember 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM

    Mike, it bothers me that instead of telling your girlfriend that you discovered that you have a half sister and that you were meeting her on multiple occasions when you said you would be somewhere else, you kept mum about it and now feel "offended" because she justifiably thought you were running around on her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally on Mike's side here. When Faith jumped to conclusions a few weeks ago, I knew she was barking up the wrong tree.

    If anyone has a cheating history here, it's Faith. She cheated on Randy with Sean. She cheated on Mike with Brad (okay, fine.. a little grey area here). And then she calls up Adam asking him to move back while she's still dating Mike. What the hell is wrong with this girl? She doesn't know what she wants and she'll only end up hurting Mike (again!) in the long run. Mike is a really great guy and he deserves to be with someone other than Faith as she'll only screw him in the long run (it's what she does best).

    I'm so annoyed with this girl. She just can't seem to apologize when she's in the wrong. I went back to the post where Mike found out about her and Brad and not once does she say the words - "I'm sorry". She says that it was a mistake but she never actually apologizes. Very very irritating woman.

    Del - this rant just shows that you are fantastic writer. Please keep writing till you are old and gray :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to respectfully disagree :)

      It doesn't matter if she has the cheating history or not. The point is, he was meeting another woman and LYING about it to her. and she caught him lying while meeting another woman. Even if he's never had any cheating history, that's still bloody sketchy. And I think Faith handled it nicely. Put it out there by showing up when she knew the woman was there, and just letting Mike explain. And she didn't accuse him of cheating. She asked him if he was. It was a question. He answered it and she believed him right off the bat that he wasn't lying in his answer to her.

      Whether or not she apologized for cheating before has nothing to do with this scenario, and she had no reason to apologize for thinking he was cheating. Anyone without a history (me, I have no history of cheating and have never been cheated on) would have completely thought what she did. Mike has no right to throw that in her face when he is clearly in the wrong here in my view. he was caught with another woman, and lying to his girlfriend about it.

      K

      Delete
    2. If we're talking about people lying over here, isn't Faith still lying to Mike about being over Adam? If at the end of the day, she breaks up with Mike and goes back to Adam and says "Oh Adam, I never stopped loving you.. blah blah blah", then she's the biggest lier out here. Why is she stringing along Mike? That's extremely hypocritical of her accusing him of lying when she's been lying to him all along about her feelings for Adam.

      Delete
  7. When someone tells you that they forgive you, that means that they forfeit the right to bring up past mistakes in future arguments. That Mike can't see how his behavior would appear shady to someone who doesn't have the context to fairly evaluate it makes me think that he's playing martyr a little bit with the way things ended with Faith last time.

    I don't believe "once a cheater, always a cheater", that's just a convenient way to place someone in a safe little box that makes you feel comfortable. People make mistakes for different reasons. I'm not saying that there aren't habitual cheaters out there, but I think the motives there are different than Faith's were when she was making really poor decisions. I'm still hoping that Adam comes back into the picture - she and Mike just don't feel right together. At all. He has hardened and it's unattractive, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Adam goes back to Faith after the way she has treated him, then he must be the biggest fool out there. But then I guess that's why they probably would work together.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Well, I'm not sure that they would work together now with the choices that Faith made regarding him either. It seems that she makes these decisions thinking they're for the best, but really she's being a coward. I think she should have tried the long-distance thing with Adam - he genuinely brought out the best in her. But what is going on with Mike is REALLY not working, in my opinion.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on 1 million views! I really liked Mike and Faith together previously but it just feels so different now- forced and lackluster. I think they both need to move on.

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Faith. Mike hid his half-sister from you because he probably wanted to get to know her better.. it's not like he was keeping his mistress in a secret condo. Mike... run run run far away from Faith. This girl is a crazy mess and she doesn't know how to stop jumping to conclusions. I think only Adam can put up with her bullshit. No other guy deserves this mess of a girl.

    Faith needs to stop blaming everyone for stuff. Mike is not the kind of guy to cheat. And he's right... she's the one who cheated in their relationship and she actually has the audacity to accuse him? It's actions like these that make me feel sorry for Mike. He shouldn't have to put up with this rubbish and he should end it with her immediately. Then she can go back to running after Adam again and ruining his life as well.

    This girl is a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back, Del! Congrats on the 1,000,000 views!

    Regarding Faith & Mike, any 2 people with their complicated history are in for a bumpy ride once they start getting serious again. It's human nature to be both suspicious (Faith's part) about your partner lying, as well as for the partner who's *actually* been cheated on (Mike's part) to be ticked off about being accused of doing something he didn't do, (which just happens to be the very thing his suspicious girlfriend *did* do that punctuated their relationship the 1st time around). They both have natural reasons for reacting the way they are here. Lying is a no-no under any circumstances, in my book...so that's Mike's bad. But, it's unfair and unrealistic to expect Mike *not* to still ponder Faith's former cheating, when cheating is the subject of their current hassle. Sure - forgiving means forgiving and moving on. But, it's a huge issue - very complicated - and most people don't ever really forget. They especially don't forget when the person who's suspicious of them is the same one who cheated in the 1st place. Anyone in Mike's place would get hot-n-bothered over that. It's a natural and understandable reaction - no "right" or "wrong", really. Issues involving cheating take time and trust to fully heal; Mike & Faith have just barely agreed to get serious again. Faith should tell him not to be keeping any more secrets, though - and especially no more lying. Lying is a deal-breaker. Not a fan of these 2 overall, though. They don't speak the same language like Faith & Adam used to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always seen Faith and Adam as best friends and have never been sold on them as lovers. It just seemed so forced.

    I feel like Mike is a better guy for Faith. But I guess only Del knows the final outcome. :)

    Also, am I the only one who is dying to know what Sean is up to these days? They still live in the same city so I'm wondering what would happen if they bumped into each each other.

    ReplyDelete