Monday, October 7, 2013

Rude Awakenings

I spent the morning brushing Murphy on our balcony, cleaning, and making a grocery list. It was a lazy Sunday and things have calmed down quite a bit for me now that I’m no longer looking for work. I’ve decided to work at Bruno’s until New Years’ to cash in on the holiday money in an effort to replace the large investment check I had to write for The Glass Penny and put a buffer in my checking account but after that, I’m out. I’m feeling pretty optimistic about it.

I was looking forward to grocery shopping. I found this yummy-looking tortellini bake recipe online and wanted to try it. Supposedly it only takes 20 minutes to cook and you all know how much I love Italian food.

“Ready to go, Molly?” I asked. I put the list in my purse and went to open the door. The smile on my face disappeared immediately.


“What are you doing here?” I asked angrily.

“Oh, nothing. I just wanted to let you know that my partner and I will be in the area if you see anything suspicious.” Detective Geordi gave me a facetious smile, “Please feel free to take my card and give me a call if you see anything…or change your mind about confessing to arson.”

He handed me his business card and walked away, whistling a jaunty tune. Molly had seen and heard the whole thing.

“What was that about?” She asked as we left.

“They still think I burned down Eddie’s theatre. I can’t believe this. I’m going to call Shelby as soon as we get back. This is harassment!”

We walked to Molly’s car and she was quiet until we got in it.

“Well….did you?” She asked.

“Did I what? Are you seriously asking me if I committed arson!?” I was livid.

“Obviously, Faith, your alibi doesn’t seem to be as rock solid as you thought it was if they are basically following you all over town and surveilling our apartment. And no one ever actually asked you if you did it.”

“Molly, I did NOT light Eddie’s theatre on fire! I can’t even believe that you’d think I was capable of doing that!”

“You were pretty angry with him…” She said turning out of the parking garage.

“MOLLY! I did not burn down his theatre! I was at work!”

“Well, obviously, they have more on you than you think they do. The police don’t just follow people without good reason or evidence, Faith!”

Molly was irritated.

“You mentioned you got into it with Brad over him giving you an alibi for your apartment fire, do you think he could have lied to make it seem like you WOULD do this kind of thing? Just how short with him WERE you?” She asked.

I know I was rude to Brad but he wouldn’t try to get me convicted of serial arson for not wanting to catch up with him, right?

“Molly, that is outrageous! Brad would never…”

“Well, I suggest you figure SOMETHING out because I am not really enjoying the cops showing up at my apartment whenever they feel like it, okay?”

I sat back in my seat and let out a deep breath. This was our first roommate fight since moving in together and it had taken me completely off-guard.

“Molly, what is the problem? Why are you so angry? It’s not like the police want to question YOU!”

Molly looked at me indignantly.

“You have NO idea, do you?” She asked angrily.

“About what!?” I held my hands up at my sides.

“Faith…I have been risking my career for you! The only reason you were offered the position for The Glass Penny a second time was because I basically told Zeke and his rich old lady friend that if they didn’t offer you a contract I wouldn’t do it. They didn’t WANT to offer it to you because they think you burned Eddie’s theatre down. EVERYONE thinks you did it, not just them. Ashley and Nick and Riley…none of them wanted to work with you… I am the only one who has been defending you and you’re acting like this arson business with the cops isn’t a big deal!”

“I…oh.” I said. I was incredibly hurt. “Molly, I…I’m sorry. But I don’t know what to do here. It IS a big deal but I didn’t do it. I guess I just figured that would be enough for the police to leave me alone. I mean…I gave them TWO alibis…what else am I supposed to do?”

She pulled into a parking lot at the grocery store and parked the car.

“Why don’t you call Mike and see if he can help exonerate you or something?”

“You know why I can’t call him.” I said quietly and looked down at my hands.

“Well, maybe you need to ask yourself what you would like to do more: go to jail or call Mike.”

She slammed her car door and walked into the store.

The trip and subsequent ride home were filled with an icy silence. I tried to apologize to her again for being such a pain in the ass but she didn’t want to hear it. I put the groceries away when we got home, left a message for Shelby at her office, and started to make dinner.

“I’m staying at Calvin’s for awhile.” Molly said as she came out of her room with a duffel bag.

“Molly, please, you don’t have to leave…”

“I just want some space, Faith, okay? Just leave me alone for a bit.”

I was hurt but I nodded. I understand Molly’s frustration and anger and I wish this all wasn’t happening. I don’t want to lose Molly as a friend so I sat down at the dining room table with my cell phone and took a shaky breath.


I had a very important phone call to make.

32 comments:

  1. WTH? Molly seemed super harsh out of nowhere. It seems like Faith is finally getting it together...there's def more to this story.

    An extra post this week would not be a problem, Del! LOL! mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the extra post!!! Mum, do you remember me? Author of Macyn? I'm finally publishing via smashwords! The story is different now, but similar. http://slstacker.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Stephanie!!! I remember you, how is everything?? How are things with your husband?? You should email me and update me on everything, one day you were there and poof you were gone again!!!! austinsmomca@hotmail.com

      Delete
    3. Stephanie! So good to hear from you. Like Sweet said ...poof, you were gone. You had mentioned some turmoil going on. I pray things are better for you. Will go find you at the new blog. YAY! You made me smile today!

      Delete
    4. I remember Macyn (can't remember what happened though). Loved reading it. Will head over to your new site.

      Delete
  2. Molly is being a terrible friend. If she actually thinks Faith burned down Eddie's she's crazy. Faith was at work the entire time and everyone vouched as much at her job. Molly needs to pull her head out of her ass and quit being such a drama queen. Police harass people for no reason all the time. Especially when they don't have anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being at work at the time of the fire with a witness is a rock-solid alibi. Why would they still be after her? It was pretty clear when the police questioned her the first time that she had no idea Eddie's theater had even burned down. Frustrating. And Molly is not being compassionate at all. She shouldn't have to be convinced that Faith isn't an arsonist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I do not see why her alibi isn't soild. How can everyone think she burned down Eddie's theatre. Sounds like an immature lot that jumps to conclusions. Molly's reaction really confuses me but maybe Molly is just projecting because she is guilty?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly is being a Bitch. Where did that come from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Molly might be the arsonist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I agree Molly is not being a good friend right now. I wonder if she really is telling the truth about everyone thinking Faith burned down the building.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mystified about Molly's reaction. Doesn't make any sense that she'd seriously question Faith's innocence; besides the fact everyone's pointed out regarding her work alibi, close friends normally won't even entertain thoughts like that about each other. Also, while it's great that Molly was loyal enough to insist Faith be included in the new Glass Penny deal (if that's even true), she didn't *have* to do that. She's acting like Faith twisted her arm or something, when Faith didn't have any idea what was going on. All this sudden resentment is baffling. Hopefully, Shelby will step in and get the cops to back off; they're applying pressure because they don't have any other directions to follow up on. Would love to see Shelby aggressively apply the legal system in Faith's best interests; that'd be fun reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arsonists can use delayed timing devices to set a fire after they've left the scene. So alibis in arson cases aren't always proof of someone's innocence.

      Delete
  9. I think Molly's been talked to by the police & Faith doesn't know about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering the same thing. She mentioned they keep stopping by asking questions, when as far as Faith knows they've been there once to take her in for an interview and this second time to leave a business card (and snide remark). Hardly qualifies as "keeps stopping by" since Molly was only around this one time. I can't wait to see what has her in a snit.

      And agreed about the fact that Faith had NO idea she had to wrangle any support for her to be included in the second theater deal - that's not a rational reason for her being upset.

      Delete
  10. I know Faith has been a pain in the ass the past year or so. With the whining and constant victim mentality. But this is not one of those cases. I really want her to let Molly have it with this latest turn of events. Faith has worked really hard to get her self together. She took the mature route and kept looking for work after she was blacklisted. She cut Brad off, she is making progress. So I need Faith to point that out to Molly. Even though Molly has given tough love when needed before does not give her license to act like a raging Bitch whenever she feels like it. And to be honest what kind of friend even suspects something like that from someone they love.

    My respect for Molly went down a whole lot with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and one more thing. I really love the blog. The story and I think you are a awesome writer. One thing that is really bugging me though is why is Faith the only one getting any kind of flack for the glass penny situation? It doesn't really make sense. No one else is a suspect when there were like 10 people involved in this deal that also got screwed. The old lady, Zeke. I mean I get it makes the story more interesting but I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because she was the only one Eddie worked to blacklist in the theater community and because she, sort of, confronted him about it. But you're right, it could be any one of them and Molly WAS one of them.

      Delete
    2. But I don't get that part either. Why was Eddie only angry at her. She didn't orchestrate the deal. Why would Eddie only finger her to the police??

      Delete
    3. That may be the key to the whole thing??

      Delete
    4. I think she was the only one he COULD blacklist because she was new to the community and hasn't fullly established her professional reputation (which isn't true because anyone who worked with her could vouch if necessary). He fingered her because that gives her motive to be angry enough to retaliate.

      Delete
  12. I bet you Molly is the one talking crap about Faith to everyone, not defending her like she says she's been doing. I can see where Molly is the potential arsonist in Faith's apartment and Eddie's theater. Something isn't right with Molly, especially to flip on Faith like that. I hope I'm wrong about Molly and that maybe she's just really really stressed. AH! I cannot wait to see what happens in the next post this is gonna be huge and hopefully not the end. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you think Molly has always been jealous of faith? Wow. I am really really curious as to where this is going. and I really hope that this is a clue to what is going on and not just the gateway to call Mike. It is way too out of character for Molly just to be a plot point. So please please let there be an ulterior motive for Molly's anger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep checking just in case a post pops up...I am obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @beautiful-- I've been checking it all day since I got up lol

      Delete
    2. Dido! And it's still not up

      Delete
  15. Del u know we worry when there isnt a new post without you at least telling us whats causing the delay,
    Renee Marie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope everything is ok...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Del are you alright? Hopefully its just school / essay / exam related and nothing bad! Hopefully you will update us soon?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please? It's too much going on and we are getting worried!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete