Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Conspiracies

“Ow! Let go of my arm!”


Brad whirled me around into the alley where my apartment building keeps the dumpsters.

“What the HELL is wrong with you? Who just stalks inside dark alleys waiting for people?!” I was pissed, mostly because of the trying day I’d had and also due to Brad’s COMPLETE lack of awareness about how terrifying it is for a woman to be grabbed by a dude and pulled into an alley.

I pulled my arm away from him and seethed.

“Why are you here?” I asked angrily.

“Because I just got had a message left on my phone from the cops asking me to call them back about YOU! What did you DO Faith?”

“I didn’t DO anything, Brad! It’s a misunderstanding. They’re probably just calling you to confirm my alibi.” 

I rubbed my arm.

“You didn’t, like…you know…”

I stared at him blankly.

“Like, get an illegal abortion,” he lowered his voice, “did you?”

My eyes got wide and I hit him with my purse.

“NO! I did NOT. I cannot BELIEVE this is happening to me right now.” I leaned against the brick wall of my apartment building and closed my eyes so I wouldn’t start crying.

“Well, what else could this be about?” He pressed.

I rolled my eyes and sighed.

“The night my apartment building burned down.”

“Why are the cops checking alibis now, that happened over a year ago?”

“I know. Look, it’s a long story and a huge misunderstanding. Just tell them I was with you that night and we can all move on.”

“Wait, no. You don’t get off that easy, okay? I was just called by the police, you need to tell me what’s going on!”

“Brad, it has, literally, NOTHING to do with you. Just tell them we were having sex and move on!”

I went to leave and he grabbed me again.

“I swear to GOD, Brad, if you grab me like that ONE. MORE. TIME. I will call the police! Jesus!”

He held his hands up in surrender.

“What is going on Faith?”

I was reminded of why Brad and I would never have worked out. He was just too damn annoying and never took “no” for an answer. I sighed and gave up trying to keep my business private.

“My ex-boss’s theatre was burned down last night and since we didn’t end on good terms they wanted to interview me and then they brought up the fire that burned down my apartment building, okay? It’s all just a big misunderstanding. Just tell them the truth about where I was and what I was doing with you and LET IT GO.”

“Do…do you need me to give you an alibi for last night?” He asked.

I gave him a dirty look.

“No. I was at work, lots of people saw me. Just tell them I was with you the night  my apartment burned down…cause I WAS, and they’ll leave you alone and you will never have to think about me again, okay?”

“Okay.” He said.

“Are we done?” I asked impatiently. I wanted to get home and try to figure everything out.

“How…how are you?” He asked.

I rolled my eyes and scoffed. I admit it was rude but Brad was supposed to be in the past and that’s where I wanted him to stay and him showing up out of nowhere was the absolute opposite of what I needed at this particular moment.

“I’m fine, Brad. Now go home, call the police, and tell them I was with you. GoodBYE.”

I spun on my heel and walked out of the alley.

“You don’t think it’s weird?” He yelled after me.

“What?”

“That there are now two fires connected to you?” He walked up to me.

“I honestly haven’t thought about it, okay? And even if I had, Eddie’s fire has NOTHING to do with me whatsoever.”

He raised his eyebrows.

“Okay.”

 He left me standing near my building’s entrance. I’m sure these fires are just a coincidence. Brad has no idea what he’s talking about, he’s just being creepy and weird. Plus, there were several other fires prior to mine and those had nothing to do with me, either. Eddie’s theatre burning down really sucks but there’s no evidence that that had anything to do with me and neither does the fire in my apartment building. 

11 comments:

  1. I can't stand Brad just as much as the next girl but geez, do you really want to be so bitchy to your only alibi?

    --Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I was thinking kind of the same thing Beth. Also, I thought that Stormy or Mike had spoken to Faith about a string of fires being connected?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but that doesn't mean they're connected to Faith, right? I vaguely remember someone saying that the same accelrant had been used in all the fires but that doesn't mean it has to do with Faith. It could have been a coincidence that this serial arsonist or whatever has set fires in two places connected to Faith.

      It totally does have to do with Faith, though. The coincidence line of reasoning she's trying to convince herself of is just not true. I think we all know that, we just haven't been given any clues as to how or why any of it has to do with her. At least not yet.

      Delete
    2. I didn't say that they were connected to Faith. But she's talking as if a connection between fires has never occurred to her. I don't know how many fires anyone else has experienced in their lives, but I've been affected by zero (luckily). If two places I'd been involved with had burned down within a year and a half of each other and my firefighter boyfriend had told me he had investigated a string of fires that look like work of a serial arsonist, I'd start asking questions about the locations of the other ones that had happened. Hopefully she does, you know?

      Delete
    3. BTW, Brad just keeps showing how much of a dolt he is, huh?

      Delete
  3. Eh, even if he lies there is still the video footage that clears her. Not to mention she was at work during the theatre fire. They've got nothing. I can't really blame her for not wanting to give Brad that inch to worm his way into her life again. Although I might have been a "tad" nicer, more like ice queen polite distance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's all going to come back around to Kevin. That was his name right? The dick of a boss that gave her all the trouble before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was his name. It could also be his ex-wife, Hannah(?) Maybe she blamed everything that happened between Faith & Kevin (and the demise of her brief marriage to him) on Faith. Or, what about the woman Sean slept with - Karen - and got pregnant? Maybe she's a weirdo. My other thought was that Elise from a while back (the model friend that got kicked out of Faith's core group of friends after coming on to everybody's boyfriends and wigging out at a party). I thought I remembered Faith saying something about her screwing around with various heavy-duty drugs or something, and she acted pretty irrational and vindictive on a couple of occasions before her friends decided to quit associating with her. Faith was the one to confront her with their friends looking on; maybe Elise has some crazy vendetta against her.

      Faith just doesn't get a break from all the madness, does she?

      Delete
  5. Also, I thought about Kevin, Sean, and Mike as possibilities, but they just seem *too* obvious; so does Brad. I guess that sweet neighbor with the little boy (they moved away quite a while back) could be yet another direction. Maybe he was more disturbed than we or Faith knew when she screwed around with Sean while they were going out? There's so many possible storylines for this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Stormy's gf is more than Stormy's gf. It just seemed odd she had the same purse that Faith lost in the fire. I don't know what, but she definitely has more to do with the fire than just being Stormy's gf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED catching up on alllllll of the stories...Holy Moly a lot has happened! As for the fire, I think it sounds like a man doing it, but I am always wrong about these things! LOL - all I know is that I am waiting to see what is happening next!!!

    As always, awesome writing and I cannot wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete