Friday, April 12, 2013

Four Little Words


I got over my double illness just in time for allergy season. Joy. 

Because of my bad allergies, I’ve been pretty irritable lately and Brad has noticed. Before the show tonight, he insisted we go out to dinner together. I was not interested.

“Come on Faith, we barely ever get to spend time together outside of my bed.”

“Brad, I told you, I am too busy getting stuff ready for the show. I don’t have time to go to a restaurant and eat with you.”

“What could you possibly have to do?” Brad laughed.

I gave him a dark look.

“Do you think that being a stage manager is easy? Like I’m just lying about being busy? I have to unlock the theatre and dressing rooms, go through safety checks and headset checks, check in all the props, talk to the costumers about things that needed to be fixed to make sure they did it, I have to-”

“Okay, sorry I asked! Geez!”

“You don’t respect my job, do you?” I asked quietly, “You think it’s just a temporary thing I do because, what? I’m bored?”

“No, I-”

“You know what? I have to go.” I stormed out of his apartment and headed to the theatre.

I was really upset, probably more so than I should have been but I was.

It was about an hour and a half from opening for the audience when Brad showed up. He knocked on the booth’s door.

“What?” I asked angrily.

He showed me a picnic basket and gave me puppy dog eyes.

“I brought you something to eat. It’s not much…just peanut butter and jelly.”

I sighed and motioned for him to sit next to me in Zeke’s chair (Zeke had not arrived yet).

“I’m sorry.” He said, “I do respect what you do I just….I miss you.”

“I know. But I’m always going to be busy, Brad. This will always be what it will be like for me as a stage manager.”

Brad handed me a sandwich and a juice box which made me giggle, then he took out a sandwich of his own and we sat and ate together in the booth. It was actually really nice until he went and ruined it.

“This is good; you should make dinner more often.” I joked.

“I think I’m going to get promoted to manager at the record shop soon. Phil has been hinting at it.”

“That’s great.” I said.

“It’s made me think…”

“About what?”

“I don’t know, about life and stuff? It’s like I’ve got this upward momentum and it’s made me realize what I want to prioritize in life.”

“Like an air conditioner?”

We laughed.

“No…you.”

I stopped eating mid-bite and stared at Brad in horror.

“Faith, I love you.”

Shit.

4 comments:

  1. ruh roh shaggy!

    Faith needs to stop this nonsense. Don't drag him along. Tell him you don't feel the same, and end it. Stop using the excuse you don't have the energy to deal. Tell him it's over, you don't have the feelings and if he's pushy tell him to leave you alone for good. Enough of this.

    Great way to end the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either he loved her before any of this nonsense began and has NO self-seteem or he's delusional. Although he wouldn't be the first to mistake lust for love. She needs to cut this short unless she's started to have feelings for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faith needs to grow up and tell him it's over. She is being very immature. Although I don't like Brad, he doesn't deserve to be treated like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith has put off telling Brad it's over because she doesn't know how she really feels. She's *always* reacted strongly to him, (and not just when they were fighting, or having sex) - from the very beginning. In her own words here, "I was really upset, probably more so than I should have been but I was." Her feelings must run deeper for him than the surface details of their current situation suggest. Faith would be indifferent - or merely annoyed for a second or two at most - at the suggestion that Brad thinks little of her career if she truly didn't care. I know I couldn't care less what someone thinks of me if my emotions aren't engaged with that person. Again, if she really wanted him to go away and leave her alone, this charade would have been over almost before it started. I don't think Faith truly sees Brad as just a pest complicating her life; she's conflicted about her real feelings and is very confused about that. That's an extremely hard place to be in - indecision.

    ReplyDelete