Thursday, August 2, 2012

Marvelous Mike


I met Mike for coffee this morning. He was waiting for me outside a little bistro near Bruno’s.

“Mike?” I said approaching the tall, fit brunette standing nervously by a public mailbox.

“Faith?” He asked, his big brown eyes widening.

I nodded and smiled. We shook hands. I decided to wear myhair down and wavy, with a black and white patterned flowy top and simple blue jeans. I topped it off with a silver mod necklace and a pair of simple black and white polka-dotted flats. Mike was wearing a gray v-neck that accentuated him in all the right places and pair of dark-washed jeans. He held the door open for me when we headed inside.

I got an iced latte and he got an iced cappuccino and a giant bagel for us to share.

“Thank you for the coffee and the bagel.” I said as we sat down in a quiet window nook.

“No problem. I’m really glad you agreed to this, Faith.”

I asked Mike what it was like to work as a fireman. His dad and grandfather were both firemen and he’s been at his house for only two years. He told me about some of the guys he’s worked with and a few stories his dad told about fires before he retired. Mike is a year older than me and three sisters. I told him about my brother and about how I got Murphy. He doesn’t have a dog but they have one at his fire house. Her name is Dolly and he loves her.

“We got her when she was a puppy and I’ve been teaching her all sorts of tricks. I house broke her and made up her little bed for her. She’s a great girl.”

“What kind of dog is she?” I asked.

“A Dalmatian of course!”

We laughed. Mike has a really nice laugh, I feel like I could listen to it for hours. I was genuinely sad when I had to get to work. Mike offered to walk me the block down to Bruno’s.

“I had a really nice time.” I said stopping at the side door to Bruno’s.

“I’d…I’d like to see you again.” He blushed.

“I would love that. When are you free?”

“Well, I think it might be easier to schedule around your work than mine.”

“You’re probably right. Let’s see…Monday is my day off from both jobs, so we could do something then.”

“Monday. Okay. It’s a date.” He said. He smiled and we kind of stood there awkwardly for a few seconds.

I wasn’t sure if he wanted to kiss me and was working up the courage or if he wasn’t sure if he should kiss me. I smiled to try and give him a signal but I think he just got nervous. He leaned in like he was going to kiss me but I think he chickened out and we ended up hugging. It was a nice hug but…it would have been nice to get a kiss, too. Oh, well. I’ll just really have to turn up the romance on Monday. Mike said he’d plan the date and that I shouldn’t worry. I’m really excited.

7 comments:

  1. Cute post. Good way to end the week, but u can't wait until Monday to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post! Glad she's slowed down a bit from jumping in. I know it's just a misnomer, but when I read "brunette" to describe Mike, I laughed to think maybe Faith has a bit of a surprise waiting for her if this becomes an intimate relationship. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute post, Mike seems really nice. Now Faith go nice and slow with this one, I think he could really get his heart broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike seems like a real doll who could be a lot of fun for Faith. He also comes across as pretty vulnerable, though. And, yeah...Faith should definitely go slow, and be completely honest with Mike about any reservations she might have, and what she views as her intentions - from the very beginning. There are 2 people in any relationship, after all - regardless of how serious or casual it may be to one, the other, or both. It's not fair to lead someone on, even if it's unintentional through fear or reluctance to talk openly.

    Situations like that fiasco with the gentleman and his little boy (Teddy?) can (and should) be prevented. That wasn't pretty. Opinions of a guy doing anything similar to Faith (or any favorite female character) for ANY reason would be brutally and swiftly negative - regardless of excuses or mitigating circumstances (like being screwed up over another lover). No excuses for Faith, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Witchy, I thought the same thing when reading the story of Teddy and his dad. That's when I kept wondering when Faith wasn't in therapy! I'm so excited about this story line. I can't wait to see how Faith deals with a job she likes and a normal relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amesabelle, I thought the same thing. I guess when I hear someone described as brunette, I think of a female. Even though the term should be able to apply to both.

    Very sweet post. Looking forward to the next! mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol - I kept on thinking "You dont need to kiss so fast! Slow down!" lol..but he seems sweet!

    ReplyDelete