Sunday, August 12, 2012

Boy Talk


I had lunch with Adam today. He’s been getting a lot of freelance work writing on crime. He’s had a lot of mass shootings to write about lately.

“Doesn’t it get depressing?” I said while eating my grilled chicken salad.

“Yeah, but you cope eventually. The worst is having to interview parents of little kids that die. Those are my least favorite interviews to write.”

“Do you like freelancing? I don’t think I could do that. I need the security of knowing I will have a paycheck. Plus I hate applying for jobs and freelancing seems like that’s all you do outside of work…look for the next way to pay the bills.”

“It’s definitely not my favorite type of work. I miss the security, like you said, but I also have a level of freedom that I didn’t have before. You’ll probably freelance though, you’ll get to experience it in all its glory, too.” He said sipping his water.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Well, are you going to keep up the stage managing thing? Because if you are, you’ll probably end up freelancing. My understanding from friends is that freelancing is basically the foundation of booking theatre jobs.”

I was struck by what he was saying. I had really never thought much about it. I’ve been so distracted lately with dating Mike and the show and work and Murphy that I didn’t even think about what I would do once the show closes. If I want to keep stage managing I’ll need to start applying now to a bunch of different places.

“It’s great about Murphy, though.” Adam moved on.

“Yeah, it was a miracle. If I hadn’t been sent to that shelter on that day I never would have found him. It’s amazing to me that he was relatively fine and came through the whole ordeal of being in a fire, living on the streets, and then being put up for adoption only to be found by me a second time.”

“It’s a shame that they still haven’t found anything out about who set that fire. I imagine the trail is cold at this point.”

“Yeah. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve stopped looking into it altogether.”

We finished up lunch and Adam told me about this new girl he’s dating. They’ve been dating for about three months and he seems pretty happy right now. I didn’t tell him about Mike. Mostly because Mike and I are only dating right now and also…it just felt weird to tell him about it. Like I’d be rubbing it in his face that I didn’t choose him even though we both have feelings for each other.

6 comments:

  1. Still not used to thinking of "Stormy" as "Adam." Anyhoo, Faith seems to regularly find herself in the position of having complicated feelings and relationships with several guys at once, or at least overlapping. Like, while the whole mess with Sean was brewing along, she and Stormy had the undercurrents of whatever she's talking about here (and, she refers to "having feelings for each other" in the present tense in this post, which wouldn't be a positive addition to Adam's happy relationship with his current girlfriend). I don't remember what Faith's exact feelings were for the guy with the little boy...just that she was fond of him and felt guilty, and he was mixed in there with Sean during the same time frame. There's also the charged situation with Brad that's so recent, and we'll have to wait and see if something significant takes off with the fireman. Seems exhausting to me to have your emotional/romantic focus scattered so much. Overwhelming. Plus, how would you differentiate platonic friendships from romantic ones when they overlap like that all the time? Guess it's more interesting that way in fiction. Weird to think that there's also "real-life" people who live in those types of soap operas regularly; hard for me to relate. Interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope Sean isn't the one that started the fire or anyone that Faith knows that would be really hard on her. I think she had enough guy problems for now. Happy that Adam is dating and that he seems happy. Can't wait to see whats in store for Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also feel like we're going to be shocked when or if we find out who set the fire and I'm also nervous that it's going to be Sean. Fortunately Faith is a fictional character because I don't know how a real person could handle the stress of her life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Witchy, it took me to the end of the post to figure out who Adam was lol. And I agree it would be tiresome to have feelings for several men like that. At least Faith is using her head. And I think the fire was directed to Faith someone she knows. I keep thinking Sean because of Murphy, he wouldn't have wanted to hurt Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it was Sean's baby mommy. Or what about the whackadoodle who Stormy (I WILL NOT CALL HIM ADAM)was dating when they were roomates? I hope there is more to come on it. The fact that it was mentioned again makes me think it will. mum

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is years old, I am a first time reader, started at the beginning a couple of weeks ago. I just wanna say that it looks apparent to me that someone has it in for Faith. I am still not convinced that the flowers and condolences card were from Kevin. We still do not know who broke into her place, and didn't steal anything, but broke the vase (obviously that was personal, not random), and the fire is super sketchy, a one time arson, plus her cat was not in the fire! Someone had to take Murphy's chip and put it in another cat. They took Murphy before setting the fire is my guess. I hope we find out soon.

    ReplyDelete