Monday, July 30, 2012

Going in Blind


I’ve been working day shifts at Bruno’s because I have the show to call cues for at night during the run and as I was leaving for the show tonight, I ran into Brad who was just arriving for his shift. Well, I ran into Brad and Angel.

I walked out through the back door and into a make out session.

“Oh!” I said awkwardly.

They broke apart and Angel smiled at me while she ran her hands up and down Brad’s arm.

“Sorry, Faith, didn’t mean to be in your way.” Brad said sliding over so I could pass by them without having to sidle next to the dumpster.

“It’s okay.” I said hitching my bag up on my shoulder and walking past.

I heard Brad mumble something and then the door to the bar close before I could feel someone’s hand on my arm. I turned around to find Brad.

“I’m sorry if that made you uncomfortable.”

I gave him a dirty look before turning on my heel and heading out of the alley.

“Come on, Faith!” He said.

I spun back around.

“I don’t know what you want from me Brad. I don’t care. Make out with your girlfriend, hump her in a movie theatre while I’m sitting right next to you, whatever.”

“She’s really into PDA.” He said trying to offer up an excuse. He put his hands in his pockets and looked down at his shoes.

“Okay?” I said crossing my arms over my chest.

“I’m sorry if seeing me with someone else is hard for you. I got that vibe from our night at the movies.”

“I won’t lie, Brad, my feelings were hurt, but not because you brought Angel with you. You and Cara didn’t tell me you were bringing dates. I felt like a third wheel the whole night.”

“Oh…Cara was supposed to tell you.”

“Yeah, well, she didn’t.”

There was an awkward silence.

“So…you’re okay with me dating Angel?” He asked sheepishly.

“Why wouldn’t I be? I told you to move on…and you most certainly did.”

“See, that right there! That attitude you’ve got. You clearly are not okay with it.”

I sighed with annoyance.

“Brad, did you ever think that maybe my annoyance has to do with me constantly running into you and Angel playing tonsil hockey? It’s gross. Quit it. You’re 27 years old, it’s a little late to act like a 12 year old boy, don’t you think.”

“Okay, fine. We’ll tone it down.”

“Thanks.” I said before leaving. I didn’t say good bye.

The show went fine last night and today was my day off. I ended up hanging out at home and relaxing. I was giving myself a pedicure while Murphy played with his favorite mousie toy when my eyes fell on the slip of paper on my desk Molly had given me. I penguin walked over to it (so I wouldn’t mess up my freshly painted toenails) and thought about whether or not I should call the number written on it.

“What the hell?” I said grabbing my cell phone and shrugging.

I took a deep breath and dialed it. And then I hung up after one ring. I took another deep breath and tried again. A man answered it.

“Hello?”

“Um…hi. My name is Faith, you gave my friend Molly your phone number after my apartment burned down.” I winced at what a lousy introduction that was.

“Oh…hi. I, uh, I’d given up on you ever calling me. I’m surprised you even bothered.”

“Really? Why?”

“Well, because picking up girls that you know because their home was on fire is usually not the best introduction for asking people out.”

We laughed.

“Actually, I just figured you had more stuff to think about what with your apartment burning down and your cat…” He said.

“Oh, that’s actually why I was calling. My cat was found. He’s happy and healthy and home with me. I found him a few weeks ago in a shelter.”

“Wow, lucky cat.”

“You have NO idea.” I found myself smiling, “But I wanted to thank you for trying to find him for me that night. I thought you’d want to know that he’d been found.”

“Thanks for letting me know. I’m glad he was found.”

There was a somewhat awkward pause on the phone.

“My name is Mike, by the way.”

“Oh. Mine is Faith.

“Yeah…you mentioned that.”

“Oh.” I said feeling myself blush.

“How are you doing after the fire?” He asked.

“I’m doing well. I found a new apartment and I’m back on my feet now. It was a hard thing to go through, but I’m past the hardest parts, especially now that Murphy has been found.”

“I’m really glad to hear that. It’s a shame that they still haven’t found out who the arsonist was that set that fire. I’m sorry about all of your neighbors.

“Thanks.” I said somberly.

“Look, do you, uh…you wanna grab some coffee some time?” He asked.

I smiled…I could practically hear him blush through the phone as he asked.

“I’d like that.” I said.

We decided to meet for a coffee date on Thursday in the late morning. It actually took a lot longer than I expected. My work schedule is pretty hard to work around with a normal person, but Mike is a firefighter and has an even weirder schedule than I do. I’m really looking forward to this date.

8 comments:

  1. Mike seems sweet, just take it sloooowww Faith!! And Brad really seems to be trying to make Faith jealous. I'm not liking him much anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to dip your toe in rather than diving in head first Faith. That's progress. I'm interested to see how this date goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. I don't know how I feel about Brad. I did think at first that he was trying to make Faith jealous (movie post), but a commenter on that brought up a good point: he and Angel were really demonstrative outside that restaurant Molly saw them at, and he had no idea they were being watched by anyone Faith knows. So, he very well could be telling the truth about all the PDA. Either way, he must have widely varying tastes to go from Faith to the goth(?)-type Angel. Also, while it IS uncomfortable watching 2 people all over each other, Faith came off a bit self-righteous and uppity to me when she was scolding Brad about being too old for his actions with Angel. It seemed like more of a way to slam him than anything relevant to her point (lots of people get physical in alleys, backrooms, restrooms, etc. - of all ages). He seemed genuine about not wanting to upset her; it's not like he was crowing about it or being smug or whatever - he was nice. I get that it makes her uncomfortable, but that's the breaks; maybe Angel is his idea of getting over things for now. Plus, I remember Faith and Brad initially making out in the back room of the bar, with Cara walking in on them, and Faith wasn't critical of THAT, so this seems like typical behavior for him (getting physical wherever, whenever, including at work). I think she actually is jealous, and is taking it out on Brad a bit, even though she initiated the current situation. Maybe the fireman-hottie will change her outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Witchy you are so insightful. Rereading yes I agree Faith came off a bit harsh probably meaning she is jealous. Still don't like the movie incident. But they should have let Faith know they were taking dates, that alone makes for an awkward situation. On a different topic please send prayers, well wishes or whatever you believe to my niece whose mother just died from a car accident she was only 49.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I will definitely pray for you and your family.

    Witchy- I always love your comments because they are so GOOD!! I'm very interested in seeing where this goes with Mike. Hopefully we'll see a normal guy who is drama free. I wonder if Faith will know how to respond to this type of relationship?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweetlara, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Separation of any kind - especially when a loved one passes - is anguishing. I'm sending you and your's prayers and wishes for comfort and peace, with hope for blue skies again very soon. Please feel free to gab about whatever you want, especially if you're feeling down or lonely or whatever. I'm sure Del won't mind...plus you can email me if you'd rather. Take care.

    Star...thanks! In the past, some of my comments have occasionally ruffled a few feathers (probably because I tend to say exactly what I really think about characters and their behavior), but we're all entitled to our opinions, yes? It's just fiction, after all, but even popular characters we love aren't perfect. Did you ever comment on the old Bedroom Blog when K. was the main character? Your name is familiar to me. Too bad that blog went by the wayside...lots of potential there. Cosmo could have just gotten another author to write it, you know? We have Del's blog, though, which is pretty great. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Witchy and Star. Speaking of BB, I gave up on the new one. Just wasn't the same you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love that Murphy came back...I havent seen my kitty since January and I miss her terribly ...lucky Faith..! :)

    ReplyDelete