Thursday, July 26, 2012

Movie Madness


Tonight was the opening of the show! There was an opening party afterward. I made a brief appearance before heading to meet Brad and Cara for the movies. When I got there, there were four people instead of two.

“Hey guys.”  I said walking up to them.

“Oh, good, you’re here! Let’s grab our tickets.” Cara said grabbing my hand.

“Cara, calm down, we have 30 minutes before it starts.” Brad said laughing, “Faith, that’s Cara’s boyfriend, Liam, and this is Angel, my girlfriend.”

“Wha-uh-oh.” I said feeling like the loneliest person in the world and quite possibly the biggest third wheel ever. I shook Liam’s and Angel’s hands before Cara dragged me to the ticket booth.

Liam is a young twenty-something guy with short brown hair. He’s about four inches taller than Cara and was wearing a brown suede jacket, light jeans, and a batman t-shirt. Angel had long black hair, really pale make-up, and was dressed all in black. Her lipstick was black and her eye makeup was all black, too. She had a nose ring, a lip ring, and safety pin going through her industrial piercing on her right ear. She was wearing huge black platform shoes that laced up all the way to her knees with skull-patterned laces. I wasn’t surprised that Brad would date someone like that, he’s into the alternative scene and also dresses in primarily black things. I wasn’t as shocked by her appearance at the PDA they were sporting. I glanced at Liam while Brad and Angel basically tried to swallow each other, he was visibly uncomfortable.

“You could have told me you guys were bringing…people.” I said when Cara and I reached the ticket kiosk.

“What? I thought Brad told you...or maybe I was supposed to…whatever! You’re here now, so let’s grab some popcorn!”

I tried to pretend like I was happy and excited about the movie but it would be a big fat lie to say I wasn’t hurt a little bit (or a lot, really).

I ended up sitting next to Brad and Angel in the theatre and that was…uncomfortable. They made out the entire movie and the slurping sounds made me lose my appetite for my overpriced popcorn. At one point Brad kept bumping into me because of how forcefully Angel was pushing herself onto him. I couldn’t wait until the movie was over so I could leave.

When the credits finally rolled up, we all walked out as a group.

“That was a great movie!” Cara said.

“Yeah, it was.” Brad said.

I had to stifle a derisive snort. I’m surprised Brad even knew the name of the movie considering how absorbed he was with Angel the entire time. When I got home, Molly noticed that I was annoyed.

“What’s up? What happened?” She asked as Murphy came running to me.

I picked him up and then plopped down on the couch next to her.

“Cara and Brad brought dates.” I said glumly while I stroked Murphy.

“Ouch.”

“Yeah. They didn’t tell me so I was the third wheel the whole time. And you were right, Brad has a new girlfriend.”

“Are you okay?” She said gently.

“You know…I am. I really am. I’ve seen Brad in a new light and I didn’t like it. At all. I think tonight was just what I needed to get over whatever it is that we had. I hope he and Angel are very happy.”

“Angel?”

“Yeah.”

“Well that’s fitting, kind of.”

“What? Why?”

“Because isn’t Angel an old television character who was a vampire? She kind of looks like one, so…”

“Molly that’s a terrible thing to say…Even if it is true.” I smiled.

“That’s my girl.” She said giving me hug.

“From now on, I only want to go to the movies with my girls.” I said.

“Understandable. We’d at least tell you if we were bringing dates.”

“You know, I felt really lonely at first but then I realized that there was no reason for me to feel lonely. Sure, I didn’t have a date to make out with throughout the whole movie but I was with two of my friends. So that’s one thing to keep it all in perspective.”

“Faith?”

“Yeah?”

“Who would you have brought if they’d told you to bring someone?”

“You, duh. Maybe Adam, I know he’s a fan of Batman.”

That was a lie, though. I was already with the person I would have brought. The problem was that he brought someone else. But I am really over him now.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm getting old, but isn't kind of rude to make out like that at a movie when you are with a group of friends, especially a friend you just resently had a thing for??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-huh, Sweetlara. Now that Faith has been honest with herself, maybe it's Brad's turn to quit playing games with himself also. Unless that's his usual behavior (practically dry-humping Angel in public), it seems like he was trying really hard to appear into his date. He didn't come across (before) as being so tacky, though; seems like he's trying to convince both himself and Faith that he's over whatever they almost had. Unless he's just more juvenile than I'd noticed before. I think it's annoying when any couple puts on a show in public, though (felt that way even as a teenager)...so maybe I'm biased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've thought he would've had more respect for Faith (and maturity...if any of my friends...anyway) to put her in that ackward situation. Since he couldn't take his eyes off of her at the restaurant her roommate saw them at, I doubt it was a show for Faith. Now that she has found her backbone again, had Murphy back and has friends who have her back again, I would love for a mature, stable gentleman (who happens to be sexy and problem free) to help guide her into a HEALTHY love and sex life (aka no pills or cheating).

    ReplyDelete