Friday, March 18, 2011

Agreements

I stared at Sean kneeling in front of me with complete shock on my face. A few seconds passed and slowly turned into an uncomfortable silence. Sean’s face showed surprise, recognition, and then sadness at my silence and terrified expression.

“Oh,” he said quietly, lowering the ring box, “I see. Uh. Forget I ever asked.”

He stood up and continued packing his suitcase in silence while I just sat there not knowing what to say. After a few more, extremely awkward moments, Sean announced that we needed to go to check-out and pack the car. I quickly zipped up my suitcase and followed him out of the room to the lobby. While he checked us out I loaded the car, got in the passenger seat, and waited for him to get in the car.

“Sean, listen, I-”

“We don’t need to talk about it.”

“You didn’t even let me answer you.”

“Your silence was enough, Faith.”

“I don’t know what to say. You took me off guard, Sean. Like REALLY off guard. Don’t I get some leeway here?”

“Are you really surprised?” He asked while starting the car, “We’ve been together for almost a year.”

“Yeah, and we’ve been going through a lot of rough stuff for months! You never gave any hints; we’ve hardly talked about this subject in detail. Am I supposed to read your mind? Was I supposed to see this coming? Are you doing this because you’re worried about leaving for the tour?”

“What? No!”

“Are you sure? I know that you’re really unsure of how things will go with the distance, Sean, but we will get through this. You don’t need to do something like this just to get a commitment from me. I’ve had loved ones gone for months my whole life.”

“That’s really not what this is about, Faith.”

“How long have you had that ring?”

Sean wearily sighed and pulled the car to the side of the road before he turned to me.

“Since early November. I’ve been waiting for the right time.”

“November?” I asked wide-eyed.

“Yeah, I was planning on asking you around your birthday but then your apartment got broken into and the Kevin thing happened so I decided I would ask you over Christmas with your parents. But then we got into that huge fight and I didn’t end up going so I wanted to do it on Valentine’s Day but I thought that would be too cheesy and you would have hated it.”

“You’re right, I would have hated it.” I said smiling to myself.

After awhile Sean said, “It’ not about the tour, Faith. It’s just…you’re The One. You give me things that I’ve never gotten from anyone else…I’m a better person when I’m with you and I’m ready to make it permanent.”

“Okay. Well…in that case I’m going to have to say yes.”

At first Sean didn’t really comprehend what I said but when he did the smile that broke out on his face made me swell inside. He reached into his coat pocket and whipped out the ring box before sliding the ring on to my finger. It was gorgeous. The diamond was an oval on a simple, silver band. It was very “me”. He certainly did a good job picking out a ring.

“But…we’re going to have to have a really, really long engagement period and my mother will have a conniption fit if she finds out we’re engaged before she’s even met you.”

“Fair enough.”

Sean kissed me over the console between us before getting back on the road. I haven’t told Zoey, Molly, or Anna yet because I’ve been swamped with work and sad because Sean left on Tuesday after we got back. I’ll tell them this weekend.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I would have never guessed that Sean has been wanting to propose since November. Kinda explains his mood swings and reaction to Faith with the whole Gerry and Kevin situations. I like how realistic Faith's response was. They are adorable together. I wonder what her family's reaction is gonna be, especially Justin's.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great, I too love Faith's honest reaction, and how Sean has been planning this for soooo long. S, I hope you don't mind my asking, but what happened to your blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwwwww.

    i love them together.
    and i like how realistic it was, she didnt automatically say 'yes' on impulse, but she let it marinate for a minute. i didnt think they'd rebound from the awkwardness but im glad that they are working on their communication.
    good for them!
    i cant wait to see 'the girls' reaction!
    and im looking forward to seeing Sean & Faith to each meet the others family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Laura! No, I don't mind you asking it at all. I've been going through some personal issues, and haven't had time for much other than that and assignments. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE how honest and open they are. Sean was proposing for the right reasons, and that was the only way Faith could accept. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting!! I just hope that they get all of their issues sorted out before they walk down the aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very excellent post! Very real! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I'm good S. just let me know if and when you decide to write again, i always enjoy your blogs. Hope things get better for you soon.

    ReplyDelete