Monday, June 1, 2015

Smash

I sat across from Sean in my living room. He was sitting on my couch and I was sitting on my coffee table. Our talk wasn’t going well.


“I just…think we rushed into this. I wasn’t ready.” I said.

“Maybe you weren’t but that doesn’t change anything now, Faith. This feels right. We belong together.”

Sean held my hand.

“Sean.” I was frustrated. We’d been having this conversation for nearly an hour. How do you break-up with someone when they won’t accept it?

“You aren’t hearing me.” I said, “It was a mistake from the beginning to start things up with you again. It still IS a mistake. I…I went to your hotel room that night because I was sad. Not because I missed you.”

I stood up and walked toward my door. Sean followed me but we stopped and faced each other in my living room.

“Faith, don’t do this. It’s going to be different this time. Last time….last time we were both selfish and made bad decisions.”

Anger flashed through me.

“No. YOU did. I’m not the one that ruined us.” I realized that Sean still wasn’t willing to accept full responsibility for what happened and all of my feelings for him drained away.

“Oh, come on. You were so mean and nasty to me after….”

“After you cheated on me. Oh, yeah. How dare I feel anger towards you for betraying me so deeply! I wanted to MARRY you, Sean! I was SO in love with you!”

“And you think I didn’t feel the same? It was the distance that ultimately tore us apart.”

I could not believe he was acting like his infidelity had nothing to do with the end of our relationship. I crossed my arms and sniffed indignantly.

“I don’t know what I was thinking. This go around was never going to work. It’s EXACTLY like last time!”

“It’s not like last time, it’s-”

“It’s exactly like last time Sean! You’re refusing to take responsibility for destroying our relationship, truly and fully taking responsibility. You want me to share part of it and I won’t! The only thing different from last time is that this time your dick works!”

Suddenly I was staring at the floor, my cheek and eye were throbbing and then my cheek was burning. It took me a few seconds to realize Sean had hit me.

“I’m sorry! You just…you didn’t have to be so mean…” Sean said trying to touch me.

I pushed him off of me and stood up.

“I want you to leave. I never want to see or hear from you again.”

“Faith, baby…”

“No.” I said holding up a finger to him, “Do not touch me. Just go.”

“Let me explain. Let me apologize. I never should have done that. I just lost my temper.”

While Sean made his excuses I calmly walked to my door and held it open. But he refused to move.

“Get out. I want you to leave.” I said through clenched teeth.

“No, I’m not going. We need to just talk through this. We can overcome this.”

“I don’t want to.” I said, “Do you honestly think I’d want to be with you after what you just did to me? I’m not afraid of you, Sean! Get OUT!”

I lightly pushed him toward the door.

“Please just go!”

“No, Faith, I-”

“She said leave.”

A voice came from the hallway. I recognized it immediately. Sean did, too, and he laughed.

“You’re neighbors?” Sean’s eyes were cold when he looked at me.

I looked down.

“She told you to leave. I’d be happy to help you find the exit.” Adam said lightly as he strode up to my door.

“I can handle this.” I said to Adam.

Sean looked from me to Adam and then back to me. A nasty smile spread across his face.

“Oh, I see….you fucked her. Congratulations, man, I always knew you wanted to.”

I saw Adam clench his fist and go to move his arm.

“Adam, NO.” I said.

He stopped and laughed and went back to being nonchalant.

“Sean, just fucking LEAVE.” I said on the verge of tears.

“Not until we’re done talking.” He said pushing some hair out of my face.

That was Sean’s big mistake, moving my hair out of my face showed the beginning of a bruise he’d left around my eye and it didn’t go unnoticed by Adam. In a flash, Adam had Sean held up against the wall in the hallway with his forearm across Sean’s clavicle.

“You’re going to leave and never come back. If you EVER touch her again, I’ll make sure you won’t be able to walk out of here without help. Get the hell out.”

Sean pushed Adam off of him, pulled his jacket forward, and gave me a dirty look.

“You can have her.” Sean said acidly. He turned and left down the stairwell.
Adam watched him leave and then looked at me. He walked toward me and gently touched my face to turn it so he could see my black eye. He didn’t say anything but the look on his face looked pained and I wanted to fall into his arms and sob but I steeled myself.

“Let’s get some ice on that.” He said quietly. He walked into my kitchen and dug through my freezer until he found a bag of frozen peas. He wrapped the bag up with a washcloth and had me sit on my kitchen counter and then gently put it on my face. I winced and he hesitated, then placed it against my face.

“Thank you.” I said avoiding his eyes, “I’m sorry you had to see that. I didn’t want you inv-”

“You have nothing to apologize for.” Adam said looking in my eyes.

“He’s out of my life for good now.”

“You’re going to do what you want, Faith.”

His words felt like a knife.

“No, really. We’re over. I’m never going to see him again.”

“Okay.” Adam sighed.

I could tell he didn’t believe me and I felt terrible because of it.

“Are you going to be okay?”

I nodded.

“Do you want me to call the police?”

“No.” I whispered, “I just want this to be over.

I started crying and Adam pulled me into a hug. On one side of my face was the bag of peas, on the other side was Adam’s neck. I sniffled as he rubbed my back. When we pulled apart, he moved the bag of peas to look at my face.

“That’s going to look pretty bad for a few days.” He said, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

I nodded. He kissed my forehead and headed back to his apartment.

“Adam?” He stopped and looked at me.

“I…thank you.” I said, my voice hoarse.


“What are friends for?” He said smiling at me.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. After that, I am glad that Faith threw Sean out and I hope he is gone for good. He deserves to be arrested. I still wish Adam would realize that Heather is a mistake and go back to Faith. Just saying. We'll see what happens...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still a HUGE fan of Adam and Faith. SO hoping and rooting for that to happen again.. Just hope it's the right way. Like Adam realizing he could never be happy without Faith. Haha
    Sean is the worst. -.-

    ReplyDelete
  3. No sympathy for Faith. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this blog is well written and I enjoy reading it. However, I keep thinking that one day Faith will come to her senses and I will actually like her character. Still hasn't happened. I want to feel bad for her, really I do, but I just have no sympathy for her. She is really not a nice person. She does and says abhorrent things to people and when they get angry or leave her she continues to make a victim of herself. As for Sean, I never thought it was in his character to hit someone. That is totally out of the blue for him. UGH. Will she ever learn? And Adam, he is way too good for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitting someone isn't in his character? Sean has a past of violence. Do you not remember when he punched Kevin and Kevin pressed charges? Faith couldn't prosecute Kevin for him assaulting her because Kevin agreed to drop the charges against Sean if she dropped the charges against him.

      Not to mention how jealous Sean is, as a person, and how much he and Faith fought. Sean is such trash, the fact that he hit Faith was not that surprising to me. He treated her so badly, once you disrespect someone as much as Sean did with Faith, once you dehumanize them to the point where you don't listen to a thing they say, hitting them isn't that much farther of a leap.

      Delete
    2. I didn't remember that fight. I remembered him as being whiny. Sorry. I do also remember that Faith wasn't any better than Sean. After they broke up she continued to sleep with him while he was pregnant Karen. Just as trashy. Faith can also be cruel to people in regards to their feelings. She is not a mentally healthy person and is not likable as she seems to continually make the same poor decisions and yet seems surprised when everything goes to crap. Adam is just too good for her in all honesty.

      Delete
    3. The way Sean made it sound was that he wasn't all that committed to Karen and we never got a really clear answer on whether he and Karen were actually in an exclusive relationship or even dating, for that matter, in my opinion. Yes, Faith shouldn't have started sleeping with Sean again after they broke up but Sean didn't seem like he felt remotely bad about what they were doing. Faith at least felt incredibly guilty about cheating on Randy with Sean and she eventually confessed. Sean never did, apparently.

      Delete
  5. I really
    Hope Sean is gone forever! I only started the blog early October and I'm hooked! We need Adam to break up with his gf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I have a soft spot for Faith, and Adam is a really positive influence on her...these two getting back together (right now) isn't the best thing for *him*. He's way too well-adjusted for her - at this point - and she'll only wind up hurting him again. The fact that Faith just fell back into an involvement with Sean is enough to demonstrate how reckless she still is. So what if she was lonely? Healthy, responsible people don't go running back toward one of the worst situations (Sean) they'd ever dealt with in the past. There's always repercussions. That guy is more screwed up than most. Faith shouldn't be dragging Adam down with her into any kind of messy involvement until she can start taking responsibility for herself and quit instigating emotional disasters. While Adam's current girlfriend seems pretty shallow and petty (based on how she acted while meeting Faith)...probably spoiled, manipulative, and self-centered too...Adam won't be doing himself any favors by swapping her out for Faith right now. He should steer clear of both of them romantically - for the time being, anyway. Run Adam. Faith: run back to therapy, you poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could not have said this better myself. I do like Faith, but she's made some extremely questionable choices, and she's not in a good spot. Adam coming back to her won't "fix" her, she desperately needs a lot of therapy and introspection, and it's not his responsibility to do that.

      Delete
  7. I am starting to feel like Faith doesn't want to become a better person. She knows she is making the same stupid mistakes over and over again (hence her not telling any of her friends about Sean) and yet she keeps doing it. She is turning into one of those "friends" you don't want to be friends with anymore because their entire life is full of drama and when they ask for your advice, they never ever listen / take it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, go Faith! She's finally beginning to stand up for herself and figure out what she needs. Agree that she doesn't need to fall straight back into Adam though, she needs to straighten herself out. Is she still seeing her therapist?

    http://diaryofabritishscot.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adam is so great. *sigh*
    Faith has a lot of work to do on herself.
    And also, screw Sean!

    ReplyDelete