Thursday, May 21, 2015

Round 2

I opened my eyes, it was gray outside, just before dawn. Sean’s arm was slung over my hips, he was breathing deeply.

I sighed restlessly.

We were lying in bed, in MY bed. The night I first showed up at Sean’s hotel room a few weeks ago he had proposed we start things up again for real. I had only wanted an arrangement to distract me from dealing with my feelings about Mike and I had told him that all I was interested in was a sexual relationship and nothing more. We went back and forth on it for over an hour and he had worn me down. I had agreed to try and start things up again and see where they went.

And that is how I found myself with Sean in my apartment.

To be honest, things with Sean were moving faster than I had wanted. I’d tried talking to him about it but he always wrote me off as just being overly cautious, that we were always good together and we would be this time. My frustrations over Sean not listening or not taking me seriously had started weighing fairly heavily and I started noticing it even more during banal conversations, too.

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep but I gave up after a while. I slipped out of bed and put on a robe and then padded out to my living room. Sasha looked up from the couch while Murphy stretched and rubbed against my leg. I smiled at him and wandered into my kitchen, grabbed a muffin, and leaned against the counter. I knew I needed to do something, but then I thought about the night before and the amazing sex Sean and I had. Maybe he was right. Maybe we were just too good together to not give it another try. But the thing I kept getting caught on was how much time had passed between us. I wasn’t the same girl I was when we were together before and I’m sure Sean wasn’t the same guy. I had yet to decide whether that was a good thing or not, I wasn’t sure who he was this time around.
Sean came around the corner into my kitchen and pulled me from my thoughts.

“Morning.” He said kissing my forehead. He set to making a pot of coffee.

“Morning.” I said back.

“I have an early rehearsal, so I have to run, but I could meet you before you leave for work, we could grab an early dinner?”

“I can’t,” I said, “I have a production meeting a few hours before showtime.”

“Then we can do something after.” He nuzzled into my neck and pulled me to him to kiss me, “Do you want a cup of coffee?”

“No.” I said taking another bite of muffin.

He poured one for me anyway, I frowned at it.

“When do you have to leave?” I asked.

“About 30 minutes.”

“I…I think we should talk.” I said.

“Again?” He smirked and sipped his coffee.

“Yes, again.” I laughed, “Talking is what people in healthy relationships do.”

“I’d much rather talk about what you’re wearing under that robe.” He said pulling on my hips and kissing my neck.

“Stop, I’m serious.” I giggled.

“Okay.” He said grabbing his coffee cup and leaning against the counter.

“I think we need to slow down. The pace of what we’re doing is too much for me. I want to get to know you again and I feel like we’re going too fast for that to happen.”

“You DO know me.” He said putting his cup in my sink, “And I know you.”

“Sean,” I shook my head, “I’m a different person than I was three and a half years ago. I’m sure you are, too.”

He sighed.

“Why are you making things so much more complicated than they need to be? I get it, Faith, a lot of things happened between us, but that’s in the past, we should leave it there and move on, start fresh. I’m me and you are you. That’s all we need to be to each other.”

He kissed my forehead and walked out of the kitchen signaling the end of our conversation. I stared at his coffee cup in my sink and then at the one he’d filled for me with annoyance. I followed him to my bedroom where he was getting dressed.

“I feel like you’re not listening to me.” I said trying to be assertive.

“I am listening to you, but you’re worrying over nothing.”

“I’m telling you this is going too fast for me. You’re over here every night, it feels like we’re living together again.”

“Okay,” he said pulling his shoes on, “I’ll give you more space, we’ll slow things down.”

“Thank you. That’s all I wanted.” I said.

He wandered back into my kitchen and grabbed his keys from the counter.

“Whatever you want.” He said. And then he handed me the still-full coffee cup he’d poured for me earlier. I took it but didn’t drink from it.

I followed him to my door. He opened it and looked at me.

“So, when DO you want to see me again?” He smirked and leaned against my door jamb.

“Maybe I’ll stop by your place tonight after work.” I said flirtatiously.

“Is that so?” He smiled and leaned toward me, I nodded, and he kissed me aggressively. When he pulled away, he slipped into the stairwell a few feet away.


I stood frozen in my doorway, Adam was standing outside his apartment a few doors down with his keys in his hand staring at me with surprise.

19 comments:

  1. Yeah, well, Adam has a GF and said he wouldn't/couldn't start anything with Faith, so he has no cause to complain. Still, it will be interesting to see where this all leads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long has it been since Mike died?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 2.5-3 months. He passed in late February or early March I think.

      Delete
  3. What the hell is she doing?! He's ALREADY not listening. That's not something that's going to change if she doesn't put her foot down now. Better yet, end it. She hasn't even given herself time to process Mike yet.

    UGH, Faith, what the hell?!

    All that being said, good post Del! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean is so suffocating!! I just do not like him at all.

    I agree with Anon #1 ^ - Even though I really dislike Sean, Adam can't really be mad about Faith and Sean just like Faith can't be mad about Adam and his GF. lol Oh, what a tangled web.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam just knows all the history with Sean and how unhealthy that whole relationship was. I can't blame him for being caught off-guard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Faith. There you go again.. down the rabbit hole with Sean. She's not going to come out of this unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faith is back to her old pattern... dealing with her griefs in the wrong way, especially with Sean. Maybe she and him belong together. Two screwed up people who are just using each other thinking it's a healthy relationship.
    I never liked Sean after he cheated. Yes, Faith cheated too but she never tried to manipulate Mike like Sean did with Faith (after they found out Karen was pregnant). And yes, Sean might have changed but just reading this conversation between them shows all Sean is interested in is what he wants. He's the one who wanted a relationship and he got it. He just never takes her opinions and thoughts seriously. Very toxic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faith, grow up. Life isn't all about amazing sex. It's about being with a man who respects you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also this is sounding like the exact problems she had with Mike re: not listening to her and taking her seriously. She's currently in a relationship she doesn't even want....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Adam is going to call her out on her immature behavior. I hope so. She needs to deal with reality. She did the same thing when Adam left. She jumped right into a relationship with Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like everyone else has observed, Faith does seem to be falling right back into her old, destructive patterns. Unless Sean actually follows through with what he'd agreed to: allowing some space into their situation...slowing things down. Faith seemed satisfied with that response from Sean, but then she jumped right into making a proposal for them to see each other that very night. That's a mixed message to him; he's not going to take her seriously if she's waffling back and forth like that. I think it's kind of typical for a guy to interact with the woman in his life that way: agree to something she *says* she wants (like, taking things slower, for instance), then waiting to see if she really means it enough to follow through. Faith said one thing, but her reaction right after (flirtatiously suggesting they get together that very night) doesn't mirror that sentiment.

    I haven't ever been really crazy about Sean, even before he cheated. Afterward, when he and Faith had that weird, sick thing going on between them when she was miserable and still sleeping with him...that was *really* yucky - on both their parts. But, she's just as responsible for their communications going haywire this time around as he is. Sean is acting oblivious, and Faith is letting him. We'll see soon enough if either one of them has really changed at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost feel like she needs to get away, like on an "Eat, Pray, Love" type trip (though maybe not for a year). She's so uncomfortable with her own company, or at least it seems so to me. She needs to get right with herself and spend some time on her own.

      Delete
    2. And if I remember correctly; Faith's friends completely cut her off because she was being so destructive with Sean

      I would just hope that faith has learned to really stand up for herself... I know it is a lifelong process but come on! it is like she has really learned nothing
      *sigh

      Delete
    3. Oh I completely forgot about that!

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I forgot about her friends doing that also. I've had a few close friends who can't seem to stay away from "relationships" for any length of time, regardless of the guy in question being worthwhile or not. I've always found it so hard to understand that tendency, since I'd take my own company over that of *most* men (partners), any day. It has to be right to give up that much independence; relationships are work.

      Delete
  12. Faith continues to make bad decisions. I'm really curious to see what her girlfriends think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes I just want to reach into my phone and strangle some sense into this girl! What is Faith doing?! Geez. But great writing. You're super talented to make us readers go on this rollercoaster of emotions. Like we can't always love the protagonist.

    ReplyDelete