Sunday, October 26, 2014

True Friends

I walked into our conference room and immediately knew something was up. Hazel was sitting at the head of the table and she never came to our weekly meetings for the Glass Penny. Hazel may have recruited all of us to join this theatre but up until now she’d been very hands off (aside from providing a significant investment to the establishment of this theatre and ongoing production checks). I smiled at her and took a seat next to Zeke as we waited for the others to trickle in.

When Molly arrived she sat across the table from me and I gave her a weak smile. She responded by looking at Hazel. I don’t blame Molly for being cold to me. After the way we left things, I can understand having a cooling off period. It sucks but she’s entitled to her feelings about our friendship as much as I am. I’ve been an asshole, we both have. We need some space and I get it.

Ashley and Riley walked in with coffee, followed by Nick. They settled in and Hazel cleared her throat. In front of her was an office binder. She flipped it open.


“We need to talk budget.” She said seriously, “We’re in the red and if this continues, the theatre will not be able to last.”

She opened the binder in front of her and scanned the budgetary documents within.

“Well, we knew it would take a while to get financially solvent.” Nick said.

“The theatre hasn’t even been open for a year, yet, we need time to build up a reputation. The first season hasn’t even closed.” Ashley added.

“The investors are not confident that the theatre will start making money quickly enough for their interests to be reflected.”

A silence fell over the table. Hazel’s tone was a mixture of disappointment and doom.

“The Glass Penny needs to be in the black by the end of its second year or I will not be able to guarantee the continued monetary support of the investors.”

“What are we supposed to do? We’ve been holding events to get more donors, we’ve been extremely strategic about the season and the shows to put on. What else are we supposed to do? When you brought this to all of us, it was understood that it would take us some time to get the theatre profitable.” Zeke argued, “A year is not enough time.”

“What if we applied for non-profit status? Then the investors could write off-” Nick started.

“The investors are not interested in pouring money into more non-profit organizations. Many of my friends already have a plethora of those in their portfolios, I can tell you already that that idea will not go over well.” Hazel replied.

“So then, what? We just try to get more donors?” Ashley asked.

“I have an idea.” Hazel said.

We all waited for her to go on.

“Tucker brings in a lot of business. He has a reputation that brings in big donors. I think we should hire him to direct all the shows in the 2015 season.”

I felt everyone’s eyes move from Hazel and then slowly to me.

“No.” I said simply, “Absolutely not. Tucker is unprofessional, he puts the theatre at too much of a risk for a sexual harassment suit.”

“We can have him sign a contract stating that he-” Hazel started.

“We already had him do that and he still groped me in front of a bunch of potential donors at an event. A contract will do nothing!”

“Faith,” Riley said, “be reasonable. Tucker brings in money. We can make sure you never have to work directly with him-”

“What?” I said in a monotone, “Riley, I’d be his stage manager. How exactly am I supposed to not work directly with him?”

“We can assign you to do something else, or give you a sabbatical for the season.”

I looked at Molly desperately. She looked at the table.

“Wait…so…so first I’m sexually harassed by him at a work event and now I’M the one being punished for-”

“Wait a minute,” Riley cut me off, “you’re not being punished, I was just sugg-”

“You’re basically suggesting I be fired because I’m refusing to work with a director that groped me at work and you’re putting money over my safety and the personal well-being of our employees.” I said icily.

Zeke looked between me and Riley.

“Okay, why don’t we all just take a break and cool off for a second.” Zeke said, “We need to approach this money issue in a more long-term manner. Hiring Tucker limit’s Riley’s role here substantially, as the artistic director. Tucker will demand to choose his own shows and I’m not sure the investors will like the idea of paying someone’s salary whose role is basically obsolete. Plus, Tucker is unprofessional. Yes, he brings in a big reputation and he pulls in a lot of money, but it’s no secret that he’s difficult to work with and has a history of sleeping with female cast members. That’s not a long-term solution to our money problem. It’s short-term, at some point Tucker’s behavior will catch up with him and we don’t want to be the theatre he’s working with when that happens.”

Ashley nodded while Nick crossed his arms. Hazel tented her fingers and scanned the table with her eyes doing a very good impression of Mr. Burns from The Simpsons.

“Let’s vote on it.” Zeke suggested.

Slowly, reluctantly everyone nodded.

“Fine.” Hazel said coolly, “I vote in favor of hiring Tucker.”

Zeke was next.

“No.”

Then me.

“Absolutely not.”

Then Nick.

“Sorry, Faith, but I’m in favor.”

“Me, too.” Riley said.

Ashley was next and she was quietly staring at the table.

“No. Faith’s right. Zeke’s right.”

It was tied, three against three. The deciding vote came down to Molly. She made eye contact with me for the first time since she sat down. I looked at her desperately. She’d been silent this whole time.

“I…”

I knew Molly and I had been having a rough time but I couldn’t believe that she would vote to have Tucker work with me again.

“Seriously?” I stood up, shook my head, and walked out.

I waited in the lobby and fumed. Everyone came down the stairs and shuffled past me. Hazel stopped and sniffed.

“Well, I hold you responsible for finding a solution to making the theatre solvent by the end of the next season.”

She walked away and I was confused. Then Molly came up.

“Faith…I…I don’t know why I hesitated I was never going to vote to hire him. I am so sorry.”

I was prepared to be angry but then the wind went right out of my sails. I pulled Molly over to a bench.

“No, I’m sorry. Molly I have been such a shitty friend to you and I want to make it right. I know making up is just-”

“No, Faith, I’m sorry. I’ve been a judgmental bitch. I like Mike. I think he’s good for you and you obviously really care about him. I was just worried about you and I didn’t want you to mess things up with Mike. I’m an asshole and I’m sorry.”

We both burst into tears and hugged each other.

So. Tucker will never darken the Glass Penny’s doorstep again (hopefully) and Molly and I have made up. The world is right. But…I have to figure out a way to help the theatre bring in more money. I think it’s time to call my old work friend, Steve.


19 comments:

  1. Fun to have a post. Still HATE the fact she's with Mike though ugh no chemistry and feels like reading about first cousins dating lol. this post was clearly about work which should be interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the new post! Sounds like some interesting stuff going down in her work life. I am anxious to see how things play out with Mike. I may be in the minority of fans that want to have it work out for them...I think there are some deep feelings there that keep bringing them back together. It seems like they are trying to be honest and open with each other...that's a start! Maybe they need a hot vacay or quick get away to rekindle those sparks they had before! Or maybe they do have the sparks and we just haven't heard much about it...obviously something draws them back to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for a new post! I still don't like Mike though haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for the post. I hope you're feeling all better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. why is it dated october 26 2014????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it so much that Faith and Molly finally make up, always feels like Molly is the kind of friend that Faith really needs in her life!

    Is there any posting schedule for now?
    (I don't mean to be rude or pushy or anything on that department, just genuinely curious)

    ReplyDelete
  7. With the backdated posts. Bloglovin' doesn't update this as a new post so it doesn't show up in my feed :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd really like to know when there might be another post. Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said on Wednesdays but that was a couple Wednesdays ago.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'll be checking back in to see if there's an update.

      Delete
    3. Still no post?! Is the blog over?

      Delete
  9. I came to wish the author well! I pray you get well soon. You are an amazing writer and I was engrossed in faiths story. Unfortunately due to circumstances you can't control ( I do understand that) the story has taken a backseat for so long I am not really interested in the outcome anymore. I just really lost connection to faith as a character. Even the cliffhangers don't interest me. When mike had a sister I thought who cares. I don't because I don't care about mike. But anyway. Take care. And I wish u a happy and prosperous future!

    Regards,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Has the author stopped posting all together?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dumb thing the author did was dete her post explaining the lack of posts and lack of timeline for posts.

    She had surgery on her had, so that plus having to find a way to write her thesis without use of her dominant hand plus life means this blog is taking a backseat for awhile. She did say she's eventually return but obvs her health and real life is more impt.

    So no, her blog isn't done forever (or she hasn't decided that yet) but there's no timeline for when the next post will be.

    Del, can you make an authors note and NOT delete it so ppl who check every so often will know what the deal is?

    ReplyDelete
  12. If ya'll are looking for a new blog to check out, come read my true life story and tell me what you think! The schedule started out kind of sketch, but I have finally found my groove and will be more consistent with posting. So check it out and let me know what you think!

    Dating-and-commitment.blogspot.com

    Cheers!
    Charli

    ReplyDelete