Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Damage Control

Molly is officially gone. Our apartment feels so empty without her and I’m still trying to figure out what I’m going to do. Our lease is up next month and I’m pretty sure I won’t renew it, which means I have a month to find a new apartment in my price range and then actually move into it. I also have to budget in buying a ton of new furniture since virtually all of our furniture was Molly’s due to mine being destroyed in the fire.


A few days ago, Calvin came by to pick up the last of Molly’s stuff. She was at a work conference in Cincinnati and couldn’t do it herself.

“Hey, Faith.” He said as I stepped to the side to let him in.

He headed towards a box sitting on our kitchen counter and I went back to the breakfast nook to search apartments online. We didn’t speak much as he moved the last of her things out of the apartment and into his car.

“Well, I think that’s everything.” He said looking around at my practically empty apartment.

“Good. Let me know if you get home and realized you missed something.” I said walking him to the door.

He hesitated before leaving.

“Faith…don’t be angry with her, okay? Deciding to move out was really hard on her. She did it because she thought it would be the best thing for both of you. She did for your friendship so please don’t shut her out.”

I nodded and opened the door. Once he was gone I called Zoey.

“Am I being unreasonable by being upset with her?” I asked.

Zoey was quiet for a moment.

“Maybe a little bit.” She said meekly, “You have to admit that things between you guys have been really tense lately, Faith. And to Molly it probably feels like you’re choosing Mike over your friendship with her.”

I thought about what she said and realized she was right. Molly did the right thing by moving out but I wanted to make sure that she understood that I wasn’t choosing a guy over our friendship; that I could date Mike and still be friends with her. When she got back from Cincinnati, I tried my best to be friendly to her at work but she was very cold towards me.

“How was the conference?” I asked her while we were waiting for a meeting to start.

“It was fine. Got a lot of free stuff. Hung out with a lot of cool people.”

“Molly, I-“

“Alright, let’s get started.” Zeke said.


So…I’m trying to repair the damage on the Molly-front. On the Mike front? Well…

10 comments:

  1. What a tease! I kept looking for the "read more" button. Then I remembered I already clicked it. Lol I'm not actually complaining though, a little post is still a post.


    thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused why Molly is still so testy about this situation. While Faith may be making a mistake with Mike, it's still *her* mistake to make. And, how does Molly even know for certain what's right for Faith, and what's not? I'm seeing a disconnect here between just what is making Molly so angry and resentful. I could see her being unable to deal with Faith if, say, she (Faith) was doing something overtly destructive and selfish...like being in a cheating situation again. When a close friend keeps doing something that objectionable, it's hard to keep being detached and uninvolved for the sake of peace. But, Mike isn't a horrible guy; he's not perfect, and not my preference for Faith...but he's not the boogie-man, either. And, Faith isn't doing anything all *that* horrible by being involved with him again - even if it's not ideal. I'm just not seeing why Molly is so emotionally involved in this situation, to the point of their friendship going down the crapper. Not sure why she's choosing to see Faith as having "chosen" Mike over their friendship; the situations are apples & oranges, and separate from her connection to Faith. Faith's involvement with him probably won't end on a happy note, but it's not so dire that Molly should be this personally involved in the outcome (as opposed to, say, if Faith were in a physically abusive relationship or something). I guess I just think Molly shouldn't be making this so much about *her*; it's Faith's deal, and it might just need to run its course. Molly seems like she resents not having more control over Faith's actions than she does, and the fact that Faith follows her own instincts (even if they turn out to be less than stellar). It's that need for control and ultra-involvement in everyone's personal lives that's objectionable to me. Molly came off as pretty controlling with Calvin in their posts, also, almost treating him like her little boy, rather than her partner. She needs to be put in her place every now and again. I also still think she was ridiculously inconsiderate to give Faith so little notice for moving out; Molly admitted to Faith that she'd been thinking seriously about it for a few months, but just didn't want to bring it up. That's a bullshit way to treat a close friend...putting her under a tight time crunch to either find another roommate, or find another place to live. I used to like Molly more; not so much lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And didn't she make it clear that she didn't want to even hear about Mike and the situation as a whole earlier? Or they decided that they couldn't talk about it or something... Anyway, you're right. She's making it about her when it's not. It's Faith's decision to make. And I don't see how Faith is choosing Mike over Molly...that's just a dumb way to look at it, esp considering how Molly's never there (at the apartment).

      On a side note, your perspective on this helped me see a similar situation I'm having with a former close friend in a new way...so thanks for that as well! :)

      Delete
    2. I agree. As I was reading this, it didn't make any sense to me why Molly would think Faith is choosing Mike over Molly. I'm having a hard time connecting with these characters. Neither Molly or Faith are particularly likeable lately. And Mike's character is one dimensional.

      On another note, I guess we're supposed to assume that since Molly was in Cincinnati, she saw Adam.

      Delete
    3. Holy crap, I didn't even catch that, Anonymous...

      Delete
    4. Phoenix0610...alright! Glad you got something out of my baffled annoyance with Molly's character besides just more baffled annoyance. Close friendships can sometimes be as challenging to maintain as any other close relationship. People mainly see things from their own viewpoint...it's natural. When the outlooks don't match up: trouble in paradise. Anyhoo...yeah, you're right; now I remember that they did agree not to get into the Mike subject together. It almost seems like Molly is kind of using this situation to move on, move out, etc., maybe even subconsciously. Kind of cut the cord, so-to-speak.

      Also, I didn't make the connection when I read this post of Molly being in Cincinnati meaning she'd see Adam. That makes sense, though. Wonder if she'll be reporting back to Adam all about Faith's relationship with Mike. She really should stay out of the whole business. Inserting herself into things won't be productive, and will probably just piss Faith off (at least, initially). Over-stepping isn't usually advisable.

      Delete
  3. I wondered about Cincinnati & Adam living there too. I'm anxious to hear about him again - it has been a while. I wasn't completely sold on the Adam/Faith relationship, but I feel like he understood her best & loved her the most. She really messed up letting him get away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to see a post. Even if it's short haha I can't wait to read the next one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get why Molly felt she needed to move out, and I do like that Faith is trying to make things right and stay friends with her. But it is still logical for her to be upset! Molly sprung this whole moving out thing on her and left her in the lurch in a big way. She deserves to be called out on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still so hooked on this blog, can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete