Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Storm Inside

“You don’t have to do that.” I said trying to stop him but he held the front door open for me and stood next to me. I could feel the heat from his body.

“I’m not going to let you go out in this weather. Let’s go.”

I walked into Mike’s hallway and followed him to the elevator. We went to the lower level parking garage and got to his car.

“Wait…is this yours?” I asked.

“Yeah.” Mike said unlocking my car door.

“Is this…”

“Yeah, it’s the one I was working on with my dad. I got rid of my Honda.”

“Wow.” I said taking in the cherry red ’69 Mustang.

I slipped into the passenger seat and buckled up as Mike started it up. I wish I could say that the ride back to my apartment was magical but it wasn’t. It was awkward as hell.



We sat in silence as the car maneuvered through the slick city streets. I looked out the window as rain pelted the car all around me and snuck glances at Mike to see if he felt as uncomfortable as I did. I decided to break the silence mostly because I couldn’t really take it for much longer.

“Hey, Mike, Sarah told me about your dad. I’m really sorry. I know you guys were close.”

Mike had a look on his face that was hard to read. His jaw was set and he looked almost angry but he softened.

“Thanks.”

We were silent again and I winced at just how awkward this whole night had been.

“Faith…I don’t think I ever thanked you for sticking around when my mom died. Not every person would do that and I think I took that for granted. It was a pretty rude awakening to figure that out when my girlfriend bailed after my dad died.”

I studied Mike’s face as he stared ahead at the road. He looked over at me and smiled sadly.

“I’m sorry, Mike.”

“Eh…we were on the rocks anyway.” He said it mater-of-factly and shrugged.

I felt bad for him. His life was obviously very different than when we broke up and it seemed like he was trying his best to cope with it all but was clearly struggling. I also thought about the last time we saw each other and how painful that was for me. It had been right after Amber’s attack and I had been confused and stressed and we ended up kissing right before he told me he was seeing someone. It was a brief encounter but the memory of it was something that I couldn’t ignore and I’m sure he was thinking about it, too, considering how awkward this ride home was turning out to be.

I spent the rest of the drive telling Mike how to get to my new apartment until we found ourselves sitting in his car in front of my building.

“You know, Anna died a few months ago.” I said.

I don’t know what made me say it. I think I just wanted Mike to know he wasn’t alone when it came to grief. I put my hand on his and squeezed.

“I’m sorry to hear that. She was a good person.” He looked at our hands and squeezed mine back.

“Your dad was, too.”

“…yeah.”

“Okay…well, thanks for the ride. Tell Sarah I’m sorry about what happened with her friend.”

I reached down and tried to undo my seat belt but it wouldn’t release.

“Oh, here, it’s kind of tricky. We had to put in new belts and the locking mechanism keeps catching.”

Mike leaned over and tried to help me release the seat belt clip. His hands brushed against my outer thigh and his face was next to my shoulder. I held my hands up to get them out of his way but the clip wouldn’t release. He looked up at me laughing with frustration.

“This car is such a piece of -“

He looked up at me and our eyes locked; instantaneously his hand cupped the side of my face as his lips pushed against mine with hesitation and then with confidence. I kissed him back firmly until the seat belt released and flew up between us. I gave a yelp and we both froze before bursting into a fit of laughter. There was a brief silence that settled between us.

“Um. If you take a right up here you can park your car…” I pointed out.

Mike pulled into Molly’s parking space and we walked quickly to the front of my building. We were both completely soaked by the time we got into the elevator. I stumbled with my keys in the lock but finally got the door open and as soon as it closed Mike’s mouth was on mine. My apartment was dark and lit only occasionally by flashes of lighting. I could hear the water from my clothes and hair dripping on the floor and Mike’s hand roved over the small of my back and into my hair, which had been pulled out of a bun within seconds.

We pulled each other’s clothes off as we stumbled across my apartment and into my bedroom. I pulled a condom out of my nightstand and rolled it onto him before he entered me and we began moving together.
After, I found myself wrapped in my sheets and Mike’s arms as we watched the rain continue to fall outside. His fingers were lightly stroking along my forearm.

“I’ve missed you.” He said quietly.

I turned my head and kissed him gently.

“I have to go, soon. If Sarah notices I’m gone, I’ll never hear the end of it.”

I nodded.

He untangled himself from my sheets and I watched as his silhouette collected the clothes strewn about my apartment and got dressed. He leaned over me and kissed me.

“I’ll call you later, okay?” He said.

“Okay.” I watched him go and then laid my head on my pillow.

I stared up at my ceiling and couldn’t believe the events of the night. I wanted to just be happy about it but I knew that Mike and I needed to talk. I needed to at least make sure he understood that I had only just ended a serious relationship. But that also scared me because what if that made Mike change his mind about…whatever it is this was? Were we getting back together? Was this just a one-time thing?

Yeah. We definitely needed to talk.


27 comments:

  1. Wow! I knew their chemistry would not have died. Yes they need to talk and faith needs to be honest with him. But I'm so glad he's back. I have always thought they were a better fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic. I just hope that "having the talk" doesn't drag on too long.

    thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com/
    crazygirlsmanicures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep mike around!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't expect this to happen so soon! Is Mike back? I guess we'll tell after the talk!

    http://poetsandhearbreakers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. smiling. from. ear. to. ear!!! mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please keep Mike around! He's so good for Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Mike. He is perfect for her and hopefully she can be the one to help him during his rough time with his family and their deaths.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray!! Have always loved Mike for Faith! I'm so glad he's the character you brought back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omgggg!!! Yes!!!!! Please, please, please keep Mike around. I was so heartbroken when they broke up before. So glad that he's back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to go against what is obviously the popular vote.... BUT I like Adam! And I want him back!! Mike did not stand up for faith with his family, and ever since then, I stopped being a fan. Adam treats faith so well, while also not being scared to call her out. I love love love them together!! Bring him back, make him fight for her, and then let him WIN!!!! Please and thank you.

    And as always, LOVE the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! I feel like it's taking me longer to get over Adam than it took Faith. I really liked Mike when he and Faith were together but after he threw her under the bus when he didn't stand up for her, I lost respect for him. Adam has always had Faith's back. I love their chemistry. If she does try to make things work with Mike, I hope she stands up for herself and tells him she's not going to stick around if he treats her poorly again.

      Delete
    2. I agree but while that bothered me something else bothered me more about him.

      Delete
    3. *whispers to Anonymous from 5:18* Who says Faith is over Adam?

      -del

      Delete
  12. Love Mike!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited that Mike is back!! Love your blog!

    welcometoskyeslife.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am team Adam all the way sorry guys. I agree with a few posters that said that Mike should have stood up for her but what I don't get is why when he pretty much broke up with her she slipped up he ran . I didn't agree with her either and I understood how he felt but he still ran. Honestly I want someone who loves all of Faith the good the bad and the ugly in the end he didn't. I don't want that for her as much as she pisses me off. I feel Adam makes her a better person. I think he is alot more patient with her and he understands her more. I think he loved who he thought Faith was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT ADAM BACK! THEY WERE PERFECT FOR EACH OTHER. HOW IS SHE ABLE TO FORGET ABOUT HIM SO SOON?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Still team Adam:) there needs to be a duel:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the difference in the relationship between Faith&Mike vs. Faith&Adam is she was in a much healthier state of mind with Adam vs with Mike. If she had of been in the same place when she met Mike as when her & Adam got together I'm sure things would have turned out much differently. That being said I'm glad Mike is back. Now that she's more self-aware they have a better chance to have a healthy relationship if that's where Del wants to take it (I'm crossing my fingers it is) & even though I don't agree with how Mike dealt with the whole sister vs Faith debacle I do understand his *mom* had just passed away & after something so traumatic you don't usually behave how you should/how others want you to. Cut him some slack...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. She was definitely in a better place when she and Adam got together.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you. I always thought if Faith was in a better place her and Mike would have worked better than her and Adam. Not that Adam didn't treat her well.. If he choose to stay, I just believe Adam's family would have been a huge obstacle to get over for them to go further in the relationship - That is why I am Mike.

      Delete
  18. First of all, YAAAAAY! Mike is back (sort of)! I liked Adam but I honestly always thought there was more of a spark with Mike. Anyway.
    I really think the end here shows how Faith has grown. In the past she might have assumed one thing or the other, and I can see her beating herself up all night for jumping right back into bed with him. This time though I feel like she is concerned, but instead of jumping to conclusions she's calmly going over things and planning to talk to him instead of avoiding things.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mike & Faith have great chemistry, so it's a given that they are going to have amazing sex. So happy he is back, even if it is just for a little bit.

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete