Monday, July 28, 2014

The Molly-Eyed Monster

I found myself zipping up my jeans in the dark in Mike’s bedroom. He was laying on his bed with his eyes closed. I had come over after that night’s performance with the intention of talking to him about whatever it was that we were doing but we ended up with a repeat of the other night in my apartment. Sarah was gone with friends for the week on a camping trip a few hours away and we had taken advantage of the privacy.

As I slipped my shirt over my head I hesitated saying anything to Mike. He looked so peaceful and I didn’t want to interrupt him, especially because this conversation was going to be unavoidably awkward.

I sat down on the edge of the bed next to him and his eyes popped open. He smiled at me and I smiled back but neither one of us said anything. After a beat of silence we both laughed at the weirdness between us.

“What?” He asked at the end of a laugh, “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“I just…I don’t want to be that girl but…Mike…what the hell are we doing here?” I asked with a sense of tiredness.

I wasn’t exhausted or upset with him by any means I was just…sick of feeling like I never knew where I stood with the men in my life. He gave me a long look.

“I mean, are we just sleeping together? Or…what are we doing?” I winced at how uncomfortable this was turning out to be.

He sat up and ran his fingers through his short, brown hair and sighed before looking at me.

“I…don’t really know.” He said finally.

I deflated. I don’t know what I had expected from him but I was disappointed all the same.

“What do you want?” He asked me.

I had not been expecting that.

“Well…” I sat there thoughtfully, “I don’t really know either. I guess I thought I’d want whatever you wanted…”

We both stared at each other and laughed again. He traced a finger on my knee as he thought in silence. But I couldn’t take the quiet.

“Look, if you just want to leave it at sleeping with each other, that won’t hurt my feelings. I know what I did hurt you and I’ll understand if you don’t want anything more serious than that…but I’m not really looking for an arrangement like that right now.”

I was surprised at my honesty and, I think, so was Mike. He raised his eyebrows at me and took in what I was saying.

“I…don’t think I want anything like that right now, either.” He said.

“So…”

“So…we could maybe try getting back together again.” He suggested.

I sighed and felt so unsure. Would Mike be able to trust me after what I did? What about the fact that I had only just ended things with Adam?

“Mike…” I looked down and felt sad, “I just got out of a really serious relationship. I’m not sure about anything right now.”

“We could just…see where things go? We could date, get to know each other again…?”

“Will what I did…before…be a problem?” I asked.

His answer to that question was really important to me. If Mike was not able to move on from my infidelity there would be no way for us to trust each other and you can’t build a relationship without trust.

“I don’t know. I don’t think it will.”

I stared at him skeptically. He shrugged and explained.

“Look, I don’t really know if it will be a problem or not but I do know that being with you, looking at you, doesn’t feel the way it did when I found out that you slept with someone else. When I look at you I feel the way I did before then, so maybe I’ve forgiven you or I’ve learned to look past it, I don’t know…”

He was being genuine and as honest as he could be. And there had been a fairly long time between now and when we had broken up which may help with any trust issues that me cheating on him could cause.

“Well…I guess we could try to just see where things go. We could date.” I said shrugging.

“Alright.” He said.

We ended up just looking at each other. He smiled at me and I smiled back.




Since our conversation Mike and I have gone on two dates and it honestly feels just like it did before. He’s fun to be around and we never have any issues with awkward silences, especially now that we’ve had that conversation laying everything out on the table. Not everyone is very happy about that, though.

Mike had just dropped me off at my apartment and was kissing me at my front door when Molly opened it with a bag of trash in her hand. She was visibly shocked and part of that was my fault. I hadn’t told her about Mike yet. He greeted her and she waved halfheartedly as he walked down the hallway. She pulled me into the doorway and rounded on me as soon as the door closed.

“Um, what?” She said pointing to the door.

“I…we…we’re seeing where things go.” I said uncomfortably.

“You and Adam only just broke up.” She pointed out.

“Mike knows that I am coming out of a serious relationship.” I walked to the kitchen to get some lemonade.

“That’s not really the point, though, is it?” She put the trash down and watched me as I poured a glass.

“He knows and he’s fine with it.” I said simply, “Molly, I know you liked Adam and wanted us to be together but it just didn’t work out. I didn’t think you had a problem with Mike, th-”

“Faith, I don’t have a problem with Mike. In fact, I really, really like him but what you’re doing is irresponsible.”

I didn’t like her accusation and became defensive.

“What are you talking about? I was honest with Mike about this whole situation. How is that irresponsible?”

“Because you’re ignoring the elephant in the room!”

“And what would that be?”

“That you’ve just jumped into a relationship with a really great guy when you’re still in love with someone else.”

She looked at me pointedly and I deflated internally but externally I put up a calm demeanor.

“Mike and I aren’t starting a relationship, we’re just dating and seeing where things go.”

“So you don’t deny that you’re still in love with Adam?” She asked.

“I…”

I couldn’t deny it and I was ashamed.

“I…my feelings will go away with time. Mike is a great distraction for that.”

“Exactly.” Molly said angrily.

“What?”

“Mike is too good of a person for you to be using as a distraction from or a rebound for your failed relationship with Adam.”

“That’s not fair.” I said, “And I don’t have to justify my relationships to you. If you don’t approve of my choices, well, I never really asked for your opinion did I?”

I spun on my heel and trumped off to my room where I slammed the door. I felt bad for yelling at Molly and being so harsh with her after I cooled off but neither one of us has apologized and I’m not really sure who was in the wrong here.


20 comments:

  1. I usually think Molly is too harsh, but the girl has some valid points. mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly has an excellent point. I am a big Adam fan but I really hope Faith doesn't end up hurting Mike again and I really hope she doesn't cheat on him with Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, no more cheating please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterJuly 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM

    There are some people that just "have" to be in a relationship, and it continues to feel like Faith is one of them.

    And I have to take Molly's side here. Faith wasn't willing to put in the effort to make a long distance thing with Adam work, and she moved on/backwards in time rather quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be one of those people that has to be in relationship (till I got married. lol). It's a tough habit to kick, so I think we will see Faith staying one of those people.

      Delete
    2. Molly has some valid points. I used to be that girl always in a relationship. But there is something really satisfying about standing on your own two feet and really liking that girl in the mirror

      Delete
  5. I really want Faith and Mike to work. I've always been team Mike. But moving on so quickly when she's still in love with Adam isn't the way

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly's right. I love Mike, and jumping into something with him is about the worst way to get over Adam. I get the whole "the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else" thing, but doing it with an amazing exboyfriend, with whom you have a long and dramatic past, is not the way to go about it.

    I do think it could work out between her and Mike, but I really feel like right now is the honeymoon phase. Sooner or later all that stuff *will* come up, because it always does, and I feel like it's gonna be messy, because this is Faith we're talking about...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's seems like a total rebound thing. Especially since they immediately fell into bed with one another - they barely had a conversation prior to that. I like Mike and I like Adam. This just seems like a bad idea - hopefully not?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with everyone else. This is a big ol disaster waiting to happen. Please, please, please don't have her cheat on Mike again. Cuz I could see her dropping him like a bad habit if Adam resurfaces. Mike is awesome and doesn't deserve that. Molly is totally on point with this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faith is a grown woman, she should be able to realize that Molly is right without getting so mad. Even if things work out perfectly for Faith and Mike, everything Molly said is generally true. Of course, love (or lust or rebound feelings, whatever) can make us do things without fully thinking them through.

    http://thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com/
    http://crazygirlsmanicures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's mad partly *because* she knows Molly is right and she doesn't want to admit it.

      Delete
  10. God I hope Faith smartenes up & treats Mike right. He doesn't deserve to be a rebound. She should be open with Mike & have a heart to heart where she puts the details of the serious relationship she vaguely mentioned to him out there. At least that wAy he can make an *informed* decision of how he wants to proceed with her. She knows better so she should do better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's not forget about how Mike treated Faith. I'm not saying either of them were justified in thier actions it was just a really bad time for them. I know she still loves Adam, but Mike is not just some guy off the street that she jumped into bed with. I don't think she ever really got over Mike. Yes, by all means take it slow relationship wise, but I think this is a good thing. But Faith, if you intentionally hurt Mike again I will come after you. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she did get over Mike. I don't think she would have loved Adam the way she did. To be honest I think she is taking the break up with Adam alot harder than she did with Mike.

      Delete
  12. Faith has become really dis-likeable. Highly disappointed that she jumped right into bed with Mike. It seems disrespectful to her relationship with Adam. I know that she broke it off with him, but if you really love someone, the last thing you are saying is your feelings will fade with time. Even if Adam comes back, he will not want her after this. She is very immature when it comes to relationships. I thought she was making progress, but it seems she is reverting, not moving forward. I just don't really like it. Molly is completely correct in what she said.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So I guess I'm in the minority but I think Molly's overreacting here. Faith went 6 mo without dating so I don't know that she's someone who has to be in a relationship. And her and Adam broke up almost 2 months ago (about 6 wks) so it's not like she found the first guy who came by. I think she was honest with Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's not like she went out looking for Mike. I think the opportunity happened and even if it doesn't work out, pursuing it isn't a mistake. If anything it will help her close the Mike door for when her and Adam get back together (I mean cause that's totally happening at some point.)

      Delete
    2. I totally agree! Adam and Faith are broken up so she isn't cheating on him. Also, while this is going ot tick a lot of people off, Adam chose a job over his relationship with Faith. Is she supposed to wait around for him to come back? NO!!!! Faith has a right to move on and have a life. She and Mike have history and maybe they can be right for each other now. Who knows? Not sure what Molly's deal is but she need to take a few steps back and be a friend instead of being a judge.

      Delete
  14. As I was reading the comments, I noticed a lot of people stating that Adam and Faith had just broken up. Is it just me that it seems like it has been about 2 months?? She has admitted to still being in love with Adam, but she could be falling in love with Mike as she falls out of love with Adam. It happens more than you think, whether it is right or wrong is up for interpretation. Adam never seemed like a true love to me. I know she said it a lot and she acted "goofy" happy, but he always seemed more like a comfortable love than a head over heals-dare I say- The Notebook kind of love. It felt more like he's here and we get along, and have supported each other over time and went through a tragic situation together (bonding them ). I get both kinds of love, it just seems it should be up to Faith which kind of love she wants( and I remind you that Adam hasn't returned for Faith). Mike was a good boyfriend, that I always felt like there was more of a spark with. But again, it's an opinion and I for one am super happy to see them back together!!!

    ReplyDelete