Thursday, May 29, 2014

On The Hunt

I stood outside Adam’s door knocking for at least five minutes and decided to just let myself in. There was loud music playing and I followed it to his office. He was sitting in his desk chair with his pajama pants on, an old college t-shirt, and a baseball hat turned backwards playing the air drums and singing very badly to One Republic’s Love Runs Out.

“I thought you were going to work on your interview prep for that job.” I yelled over the music and leaned against the door jamb with a smirk on my face.

Adam jumped at the sound of my voice and turned around.


“I was just taking a break.” He said dancing towards me.

I laughed and he pulled me to him and twirled me around. We had a dance session, complete with bad singing from both of us and air drums and silly dancing, and then he turned the music down. Adam sat down in his office chair and pulled me into his lap to show me what he’d been doing.

“So, this is the company’s website.” He said pulling up a webpage, “They’re a global news source.”

“And what’s the job listing for?” I asked.

“An assistant crime reporter for their crime editorial team here in the city.” He said, “It’s my dream job, Faith.”

“I really hope you get it. You’ve been waiting for this for a long time.”

Adam had applied to the job expecting to never even be considered but they ended up calling him and inviting him to interview. He’d been on cloud nine ever since. I hugged him and he showed me all the stuff about the new job he was excited about.

“They have some great benefits, too-”

Adam’s phone buzzed and we both looked at it and he sighed.

“You’re going to have to deal with that eventually.” I said.

Adam had been fielding phone calls from his family for a week since our dinner. At first it was just his siblings and the calls never seemed to go that well because Adam was in a bad mood after each one. Now his parents had started calling him. I stared at his phone and then picked it up.

“Tell them what they want to hear.” I said to him, “Tell them that I’m just some girl and don’t mean anything to you. Tell them you’ll visit more, whatever they want.”

“They don’t deserve it. And if I do that it’ll be like I condone the way they treated you.”

“Tell them we broke up. Or that we were never a thing. I won’t be offended if it means you’ll get some peace to focus on your interview.”

“Talking to them is so draining…”

“I’ll make it easier for you.” I said kissing him and handing him the phone, “Now speak to your mother.”

Adam answered the phone and I could hear a woman’s voice on the other end but I couldn’t make out the words she was saying.

“Yes, I know it was unbecoming of a Donohue but they-”

Adam rolled his eyes as the woman’s voice cut him off. I kissed his neck up to his ear lobe and he looked at me. I gave him a playful smile and nibbled at his jawline.

“You hope she was worth it?” Adam asked angrily, “You don’t even know what actually happened. And her name isn’t Faye, it’s-”

Again he was cut off and sighed out of frustration. I slid his hat off and gently threw it over my shoulder. I ran one hand through his hair as he listened. I pulled the phone away from his ear and leaned forward to whisper in it.

“It’s okay. Tell her what she wants to hear.”

Adam looked at me hesitantly but I nodded.

“Mom, she’s no one.” He said wearily, “I just told them she was my girlfriend because I thought it would be funny.”

I heard the woman’s voice sound less angry.

“No, she’s just some girl I met. Nothing special. It’s over between her and me anyway.”

He glanced up at me and I smiled at him soothingly and then went back to kissing down his jawline and neck.

“No, I’m not interested in having you set me up with anyone right now.”

I let my hands fall to his waist and my fingers traced lines up his sides under his shirt. I pushed it up and he lifted his arms and I threw it across the room before I resumed kissing him, this time along his shoulder.

“Would you please get off that? I’m not interested in Heather…A good match? What is this? The 1800’s? Jesus mom!”

I looked up when he said her name and raised an eyebrow. He shrugged and grimaced at something his mother had said.

“Look,” he took a deep breath as I pulled off my shirt and tossed it across the room, “I can find someone on my own. I know you want the best for me, but I think I need to decide what’s best for me by myself.”

I stood up and kicked my ballet flats off and then took a step toward him so I was standing between his legs and slowly unbuttoned and unzipped my jeans.

“Maybe what’s best for the family isn’t what’s best for me…” Adam said watching me.

I slowly took off my jeans and then I pulled my hair out of my ponytail and shook it out. When I looked down at his pajamas, I smiled at how easy it was to get him hard. Then I kneeled in front of him and started kissing his abdomen. I heard his breathing change when I pulled the waistband of his pajamas down and took him in my mouth.

“I…what?” He asked, “No, I’m sorry I was just distracted by, uh, an e…an email I got.”

I went slow and used my hands as well as my mouth.

“The email was for a job interview.”

“Y-yes, I’m still looking for a…a job…”

“Because I don’t want to work with dad OR be a banker, mom, I went to school to be a…a…journal…ist.”

“No, I’m sorry, I was just reading someth….something.”

I heard her voice become angry again and I went faster.

“I’m sorry. Yes, you have my undivided attention.” He said trying to focus.

I laughed to myself.

“We’re back to the other night again?” He said panting, “No, I’m just walking up some stairs….it’s a lot of stairs.”

“Okay, fine! I will apologize to them, okay? And I’m sorry for upsetting you and dad, too.”

He was close and I kept going.

“No, yeah, she was just some girl. It’s over. I was just messing around. I’ll settle down with someone more presentable…..right….for the family.”

I swirled my tongue and started humming softly.

“Um, mom, I’ve gotta go.” Adam hung the phone up and came at the same time.

I sat back, put my arm on his thigh, propped my head up with my hand, and looked up at him innocently.

“How was your phone call?” I asked with a coy smile.

“It was…um…I don’t really remember it. You’re a very bad girlfriend.” He said laughing.

I stood up and reached for my jeans.

“What are you doing?” He asked from his chair.

“I-”

“Time for some serious payback.”


He chased me into his bedroom laughing.

12 comments:

  1. So funny! I love Adam and Faith together. They're like best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Adam should have lied to his family. What if he and Faith end up getting married? What a tough place for him to be in...I don't envy Adam's family situation. I hope he gets this job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that was funny at all. Disgusting that he said all those things just to appease his family, and she not only allowed it but encouraged it. WTH is going on?? mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree. This was horrible. Disrespectful on many levels. I am not sure how I feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand why Adam lied. From this post it sounds like he was just being completely hounded by his family and it was taking his attention away from his job search. I don't think the lies were meant to be a permanent solution to his family issues and I don't think Faith or Adam believe that, either. I think they were meant to just get Adam some slack from his family so he could focus on landing this job interview.

    Plus, it's not like they were huge lies. He said they broke up. So? If they meet her again he can just say they got back together. It's not like he said she died or anything, jeeze!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh. The comments on this post are all very interesting to me. Monday's post should be super fun.
    -del

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a big 'ol shit grin on my face the entire time. Love these two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol okay the first time I read the post, I didn't think it was funny. But then I read it again and I was actually laughing a lot. Especially when Adam started panting and he had to tell his mom he was walking up a lot of stairs ahaha. If only his mom knew what was happening on the other side of that call!

    Honestly, I think it would have been a much more bigger deal had it been in another context. But I don't think Faith would have even thought of the idea, and Adam wouldn't have gone along with it, had it not been effecting Adam's concentration on this potential job. From the way I read it, Adam's family has been really bothering him a lot since that night and he ends up in a bad mood each time he talks to them, so obviously it's something that can effect his interview. And I'm sure both of them would hate it if this was a reason why Adam couldn't focus the day of his interview and didn't get the job.

    So I get it, it may have not been the best solution, but if it keeps his family from bothering him so he can focus on this interview, then so it be. It's his dream job! That's a really big deal considering he's been in the search for a job for a while! Doesn't mean there won't be any aftermath of this little "stunt" of theirs. I'm sure there will be, but they can deal with that when it comes. Adam being focused on giving his all to get his dream job is what's important right now, and I understand that. I love Adam and Faith together. I think this post was meant to be playful and I enjoyed it. Thanks Del!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about this? "yeah, she's no one we broke up." Then he gets the job and it's "Guess what family? I never broke up, we were serious, and I have a job I love so now can hate everything in my life. Suck it" (I'm guessing, they'd hate his job). That's where I would go with it at least.

    http://thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't feel like they did anything wrong because at the end of the day they are not engaged or married. If they choose to do so then it will probably happen and he may need to make a choice between his family and Faith, since it seems they are never going to like her anyway. So it's fine if they want some peace right now. He shouldn't have to choose since they aren't planning on marriage anytime soon. We don't even know if they will last. At the end of the day they are his family. When he is ready to say enough he will.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Adam & Faith are perfect together! They remind me of my hubby & I. They are best friends AND lovers. What is there that's better?
    Check out my blog if your have time! :)

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete