Monday, February 24, 2014

Breaking Legs

We opened the show. Opening night went okay but now that we are actually running it nightly, it’s a lot smoother. All the tech issues had been sorted out on our preview nights and the renovation was completed the night before our official grand opening. We received a lot of support from the community and it was nice to see. Mostly, though, I was relieved that we had finally opened and tech was over. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such a difficult tech before. I was SO not expecting opening to go well that I asked the girls and Adam not to come.

So last night I was not expecting to get done locking everything up and walking out to the lobby to leave only to find my boyfriend sitting on a bench with a bouquet of flowers waiting for me.
                                                                
“I know you said not to come to opening night, but I figured coming to the third performance day would be okay.” He stood up.

I walked over to him, took the flowers, and kissed him.

“Thank you,” I said, “you have no idea how nice it is to see a friendly face after the past few days I’ve had.”

“Let’s go get some pizza into you.” He smiled and we walked out together.

We walked down the street to this pizza place that was open late and sat down.

“How was your day?” He asked.

“Long. But I don’t want to rehash, tell me about your day, instead.” I leaned forward and rested my chin in my hand.

“Eh, it wasn’t that bad. I did some research for a few articles, applied for a few more jobs.”

“Still haven’t heard back from the others?” I asked.

Adam had started looking for more steady work and had applied to several journalist positions in the area but he wasn’t having very good luck.

He shook his head.

“Well, something’s going to pan out eventually. You have so much experience.”

“That’s the problem, though, I have experience but so does everyone else. Print is dying so now I’m not just competing with people who just graduated from college, I’m competing with the hundreds of people who just graduated from college with journalism degrees AND the people who were just laid off after working in the field for 10 or 20 years.”

I reached for his hand across the table and held it.

“It’ll work out.” I smiled at him, “The theatre is dark tomorrow; I could help you look around for some more jobs. Maybe I can use some of my old HR connections to get you an interview somewhere.”

“Yeah, okay.” He nodded.

We ate our pizza (which tasted so amazing considering I hadn’t eaten anything since the apple I had for breakfast that morning) and then went back to his place for the night. Adam settled on an old movie playing on television (The Guardian) and we snuggled on the couch but I kept falling asleep. We were both laying on the couch together.

“We should get you to bed.” Adam said turning the television off and sitting up.

“No, I’m okay. I want to watch Ashton Kutcher. He’s surprisingly hot in this movie.” I yawned and snuggled into him even more.

“That movie has been over for half an hour. I was just watching the Food Network.” He laughed, “And unless you are secretly pining for Guy Fiyeri…”

“Ew, gross, No!” I sat up and bumped a pillow into him.

Adam started tickling me and hitting me with a pillow. Things sort of escalated and I ended up bonking him in the head pretty hard with my weaponized pillow.

“Ow!”

I snapped up and my hands covered my mouth.

“I am SO sorry!” I felt terrible.

“I’m okay, but, geez! Nice right hook.” He held his hand to his jaw.

“Aw, let’s see if I can fix it…” I said leaning against him and kissing him lightly along his jaw line, “Is it getting better?”

Adam swallowed.

“A little bit.”

I kept going and then made my way up to his mouth which led to a hot and heavy make out session. To be honest, things probably would have gone a lot farther than that if I hadn’t been so tired but I was so they didn’t. Eventually we just went to bed. I like having Adam next to me while I sleep. I feel safe and we fit well together. The next morning we woke up and started looking for jobs.

At noon, I thought we needed a break. Adam looked miserable. I definitely remembered how it felt to be unemployed and apply to job after job with no luck. I stood up and hugged him from behind as he stared at his computer.

“Alright, let’s go get lunch.” I said resting my chin on his head, “We’ve been doing this all morning.”

Adam sighed and stood up and I held out my hand and he reached for it. We grabbed our coats and walked to a café a few blocks away. Getting outside and feeling the sunshine was definitely something we both needed and by the time we were sat and had ordered, Adam was in a much better mood.

“We’ve been really productive today.” I said, “I sent out a bunch of emails to my old HR contacts and you applied to a ton of jobs. I think we can call it a day and relax.”

“Yeah. I hope I hear something soon. I’m sick of freelancing. I thought it was great at first because I can schedule myself and pick and choose what I want to do but lately I’ve had to take projects that have no interest for me and don’t even relate to what I want to do. I’m sick of it.”

“I know.” I rubbed his leg.


All in all it was a good day today. I like hanging out with Adam and everything but I think I’ve been neglecting my friends a bit so I called Zoey and Anna and arranged for a brunch date later this week with Molly and I. I can’t wait to catch up with them!

(In case you haven't seen it, there's a poll on the upper right-hand side of the blog. It's just a fun thing for you guys to do if you want. The results have been pretty interesting so far. -del)

8 comments:

  1. You need a third choice- for those of us who loved Mike but are loving Adam and can't decide which we love more yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I don't know yet...I loved Mike but he did some really mean and selfish things to Faith when they were together buy I just don't feel a spark with Faith and Adam. More like a good friendship. Maybe that's just because they were friends for so long and things still haven't heated up for them. I'm undecided right now. -escott816

    ReplyDelete
  3. My theory is Adam will be offered a job in another state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing I don't like about Adam is that he is so safe. I know that you need to feel safe in a relationship, but you also need the butterflies in your stomach to start off with. I feel like there is chemistry between Faith and Adam, but the kind of connection, or chemistry you have with a good friend. I don't feel excited reading the posts about Adam, with Mike my heart was in my throat at times. I just think you should fall in love, at first it should be exciting! It's like Faith has found an old comfy sweater, dyed it a new color and tried to change the fact, or pretend, it came from her pile of comfy clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Continued Comment) Faith could even find someone new, and it would be better than her staying in her comfort zone with Adam.

      Thanks Del, still good writing, and I love Faith!

      Your faithful reader,
      Virginia

      Delete
    2. ^ I completely agree with everything you said Virginia

      Delete
  5. Yes, you need a third choice. I HAD to pick Mike, but I don't this that's the right one for her either.

    For me, there is just something off about Faith and Adam together. I still can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it's a lingering thing that has been there since day 1. I'm not saying that she should be with Mike but this Adam thing is just not doing it for me.

    Don't get me wrong, Faith and Adam have a great relationship but I think they just make really great friends. I know that she has jumped the gun with the sex thing before and I personally think its great that they haven't had sex yet. But I also get the feeling that there is a HUGE letdown coming after they do, IF they ever do. They were not meant to be together and if they do get physical I think it will not only ruin their romantic relationship but also their friendship. Something about this relationship between the two of them is not "level". I get that they love each other and that's fantastic, but I don't see them working as a couple.

    I am determined to find out what it is!

    Lady

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the thought of Adam and Faith, I do think he is the one for her but I wish they didn't get together so fast. It just seems fast. I would have loved to see the chase where boy wants girl and she kinds of plays a little hard to get. They had chemistry when she was with Sean but the chemistry is not the same exactly. I just wish there was some serious flirting going back and forth before the relationship thing happened. I did like Mike but I knew that he wasn't the one for her.

    ReplyDelete