Saturday, February 15, 2014

Tech Llama

I’m in the middle of tech and things have just been CRAZY. The moving set piece I mentioned awhile ago? Yeah, it’s broken and in need of an emergency part that we may not be able to get in time for opening night. The theatre’s renovation is also behind and, again, we don’t know if it’ll be ready in time for opening night. You can imagine where my stress levels are right now, especially when you consider that I haven’t slept more than five hours a night since it started because of how many things there are for me to get done.

When everything had wrapped on Friday night at 11:00pm I was absolutely exhausted. Molly offered to drop me off at home before she went over to Calvin’s to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

“Thanks again.” I said tapping on the roof of her car as she waved goodbye.

I trudged into the lobby of our building and leaned against the elevator wall as I rode it up to my apartment. I saw something laying in front of our door as I walked down the hallway. 


It was a potted orchid with a row of three white blooms on it. The pot was square and black. There was a card underneath it. I picked up the plant and the card and read it.
            
                            I was thinking about you today. –Adam

I smiled. Everything with Adam was so simple and straightforward and I liked it that way. I opened my door to find someone standing in the living room. He stood up from sitting on our coffee table and put his hands in his pockets.

“Adam, what are you…? How did you….?”

“Molly lent me your spare key.” He said, “I know you hate Valentine’s Day and you didn’t want to do anything for it and that’s fine but I thought we should at least see each other.”

I put the orchid down with my keys and walked up to him and hugged him.

“Thank you for the gift. I love it. And you.” I smiled at him and kissed him.

We stood in my living room hugging each other for a long time. Eventually we ended up on the couch.

“Tell me about your day.” He said taking my shoes off and rubbing my feet.

I smiled at him.

“No. I don’t want to talk about work.” I moved my feet off his lap and curled up next to him with my head on his chest, “You tell me about your day.”

I closed my eyes and must have fallen asleep because Adam was calling my name.

“Faith? Faith…”

“Mmm?” I said.

“I should get you to bed.”

“No I was listening.”

“I wasn’t talking.”

“Oh.” I said sitting up, “I’m sorry, Adam.”

“It’s alright, I knew you’d be tired. Let’s get you into bed.”

“Okay.” I stood up and walked toward my room.

I plopped down on my bed and took my shirt off and then looked up. Adam was standing in my doorway looking awkward.

“So, I’ll see you once you get through the weekend.” He said.

“Adam, why don’t you just sleep here?” I suggested.

He shrugged and walked to the other side of my bed as I wiggled out of my jeans. I heard rustling behind me while he undressed. I snuggled under my covers and felt Adam get in next to me. Adam was the big spoon, I was the little spoon, and Sasha was the smallest spoon (Murphy was sleeping near my head, as usual). I reached behind me, grabbed his arm, and pulled it over my side.

This morning I woke up to the smell of coffee and an empty bed. I brushed my teeth in my bathroom and then wandered out into our kitchen/living room and saw Adam standing there making coffee with just his jeans on, they were sitting low on his hips and I liked what I saw.

“Good morning,” I wrapped my arms around him from behind and kissed his back, “mmm that smells good.”

“I thought you could use some before heading to work.” He turned around with my arms still wrapped around him and gave me a deep kiss, “Good morning.”

I pushed my face into his chest and whined.

“I don’t want to go to work.”

“Yes you do,” he put his arms around me, “you love your job. You’re just really busy.”

I made a whining sound in response.

“Go get dressed and I’ll walk you to work.”

Another whine.

“I’ll buy you a bagel, too.”

“Ugh, fine.” I said.

I broke away from him and he crossed his arms, leaned against my kitchen counter, and watched as I walked to my room.

“I love that view. You should walk away from me in your underwear more often.” He said.

I burst out laughing.


I snarfed my bagel down as we walked to the Glass Penny. As we reached the front doors, Adam put his hands in his pockets.

“Thanks for the bagel, and yesterday.” I said giving him a kiss.

“You’re welcome.” He reached into his bag, “I made you a lunch for today because I know you’ll be busy but I want you to eat something. I also got you something else…”

He handed me my lunch sack from his bag and then dug around in his bag some more before holding up one of those little fluffy llama figurines they sell at World Market.

“I got you a tech llama.” He smiled.

“A what?” I took it from him and couldn’t keep the smile off my face.

“His name is Alfonso. I thought you could put it on your table and when you get frustrated or stressed, you can look over at him and be less frustrated or stressed.” He rubbed the back of his head with one hand, “I know it’s kind of dumb bu-”

“I love it.” I said looking up at him, “It’s adorable.”

I gave him a long, lingering kiss.

“Get a room you two!” Molly shouted as she rounded the corner of the theatre from the parking lot.

Adam broke away and turned bright red.

“Um, so I call you on Monday. Good luck with your cue-to-cue.” He said with embarrassment.

“Okay.” I smirked and waved as he left.

“You guys are disgustingly adorable.” Molly crossed her arms and smiled at me as she held the front door open with a foot.

“Shut up.” I teased.

I couldn’t keep the smile off of my face.


7 comments:

  1. Aw, that was sweet. I love that Adam is just as shy as she is. But there's still something.... I can't put my finger on it, but it IS still there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They still havent had sex yet right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel bad saying it, but I was afraid they were going to have sex. I can't believe I am so anti this relationship. I don't know. I just don't get it mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet post..... but I still can't get on board with this relationship. It's just too comfortable, like they've been together for years, need some excitement, romance, energy ..... on the other hand.... glad Faith isn't all wrapped up in SEX SEX SEX like before. - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. idk why but this relationship between Faith and Adam feels v forced for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm going to be the odd duck out of all the commenters on this post and say that I really love the relationship between Adam and Faith so far. I didn't at first, but the more I think about it, I think it's just because we've never seen Faith so healthy in so many aspects of her life before. Right now, there's no drama going on and the worst thing that seems to be on her mind is how busy her job is, which is a good thing!

    I wish more readers would be more optimistic with this relationship, which I get is hard to do when there's so many people hung up on Mike. I was one of those people, but then I decided to start reading posts with the mindset that I wasn't going to be a certain "team" and I've started noticing that Faith is really happy. I don't think we've ever seen her in a more healthy place in her life and if Adam is what helps keep it that way, then I'm all for it. But I agree with another poster that maybe reading some romance between them would pick things up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on Team Faith. I think whatever she needs to do/whoever she needs to be with to make her feel like her best self is the most important thing. Maybe that will be Mike someday, maybe she will find her best self with Adam and they stay together. Whatever the path, she's taking it with her and those she loves best interests in mind.

    I have to laugh at Anonymous above complaining about their relationship being "too comfortable" and boring. You know you've succeeded in the happy couple department when you get that assessment. Though I agree it's not as much fun to read about as the drama is! My fiance and I would probably bore people to tears.

    ReplyDelete