Sunday, August 4, 2013

Planner

The meeting Zeke requested is quickly on its way here and I have not been able to get Molly to tell me anything.


I have no idea what it could be about but I do have the feeling that Molly and I are not the only people Zeke invited to this lunch. I’m hoping it’s a networking opportunity at the very least and that I can make some connections with other people in the industry to better my career options. I googled the restaurant and it is SUPER fancy. I’m really surprised by the location.

This week has been pretty productive for me. I’m meeting Suzy and Amber for a shopping day this weekend which will be nice and help me de-stress from all the busy! I finished my CPR class and am now newly certified in CPR and first aid in all major age groups for the next year. I updated my resume to reflect that and added my latest work experiences, too, and then I sent my resume to several local theatre companies to get my name out there.

One of the things I’ve noticed is that a lot of theatre companies tend to look more favorably on stage managers who are part of the union. The problem is that it takes a long time to earn enough “points” to apply to the union. And then, of course, once you join the union you can’t work on any shows that aren’t considered union shows (meaning the actors are union members and the theatre company is following union rules if it’s not a certified union house) so when to actually join needs to be a strategic decision because you don’t want to join before you have enough experience to actually get union level jobs. I have about half the points needed to join so I’m nowhere near ready but it’s also harder for me to get work at a lot of the bigger theatre companies because I’m NOT union…yet. I will be though and that will mean health insurance! Yeah baby! And a FLEX plan for dental!

This is what adults get excited about, apparently. A medical FLEX plan. How boring is MY life?

Also, I’ve been considering getting another cat. Maybe that’s just because I’m volunteering in the shelters again and want to adopt all the wonderful animals but I think it would be nice to get Murphy a friend. I’ve already talked to Molly and she’s totally okay with it. I haven’t decided yet but I am flirting with the idea. I’ve actually been thinking about it a lot longer than I started volunteering again, but I think the feelings are more intense now that I get to hang out with a bunch of animals all day. I just feel guilty over how alone Murphy is sometimes and if I start working more, like Adam suggested, he’ll be alone even more often.

My mom called me a few days ago; she wants me to come home for my parents’ 30th wedding anniversary. She wants to do a vow renewal and get a professional family picture taken. The only problem is that my parents’ wedding anniversary is so close to Halloween that if I got a stage management job, there will be NO way for me to take the time off to go. I asked if she could consider pushing it back a few weeks and she might, depending on my brother’s schedule. Here’s hoping I can convince her to push it back even if coming home works for my brother.


I have a lot on my plate and I’m waiting to hear back about a few theatre jobs. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. As little action as there has been in the last few posts, I've loved them! So glad to see that Faith is getting her life back together. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete