Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Amazing Amber

Adam and I caught back up with a Project Runway All-Stars marathon at my apartment over the weekend and it was…interesting.


“I love Anthony Ryan. If He doesn’t win this he’ll be ROBBED. A second time since he didn’t win his actual season, which was also an example of him being ROBBED.” Adam said reaching for some popcorn.

We’d ordered Chinese and pigged out on ice cream and soda. Molly was staying at Calvin’s house all weekend so we were alone and we took advantage of the empty apartment to talk and reconnect.

“I agree. I’d buy everything he’s ever made on this show or the original season. I LOOOOOVE his clothes.”
Adam has been working as a freelancer since the paper went under and, honestly, he seems happier for it and since I’m trying to make a five year career goal, I thought I’d ask him about his.

“Can I ask you a question?” I asked.

“Yeah, sure.” He laughed.

“How do you handle the whole freelance thing?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you know I’m doing that with my work and I don’t know, doesn’t it get old? Always looking for your next article, your next job? How do you not get exhausted with constantly searching? Constantly worrying where the next paycheck is going to come from?”

Adam sighed and rubbed the back of his head.

“I don’t know, it’s not for everyone. I like the freedom it gives me and I’m always working on something. Your stuff is a little different than mine. You can’t take on multiple projects at once because you’re expected to be at the theatre or at the rehearsals. I can write whenever I want, so it’s a little easier to manage.”

“Oh.” I said mildly disappointed. I don’t know why but I thought Adam’s advice would give me some kind of epiphany for being a freelance stage manager.

The more permanent positions I was looking at weren’t all I thought they were. A lot of them require extra work that would usually be covered by a different position (like being stage manager AND the props designer) and don’t pay a whole lot. I was bummed and fishing for advice.

“But, you know…” Adam said noticing my disappointment, “You could work two projects at once; it just depends on how much you like having free time…”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, when one show opens, you should try to look for work that will immediately begin rehearsals once that show is open. That way you can go to the rehearsals during the day and then call the show at night. You wouldn’t have a lot of time outside of work but it would get your name out there. You’d get to network. You’d start building up a name for yourself and a good reputation and then maybe people would be willing to pay you for your name and the reputation of the work you do that goes with it. That’s how most journalists make it freelancing. You get paid more if your name holds more weight. Hell, I still use my old television show alias when I’m in a financial bind since, at least for now, ‘Stormy Allen’ makes more money than I could make with my actual name. But that’s not going to last for long.”

He had a point and I don’t think throwing myself into work would be a bad thing for me at this current juncture in my life. The thought of quitting my day job at Bruno’s, though, is terrifying, even if I am preparing for it.

I sighed.

“It’ll get better, Faith. You can be a freelancer. You can make it work. This is your make-it-work moment!”

I laughed.

“So, you know Suzy called me. She invited me to go shopping with her and your new lady friend, Amber, next weekend.”

Adam stiffened.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“No, really, are you not okay with that?”

“It’s a little weird.” He admitted.

“Why?” I got up off the floor and sat next to him on the couch.

“Because of…everything.”

“Adam, I think we’re past all of that. The timing was never right for us, we’ve both moved on. Don’t make it weird. It doesn’t have to be. You’ve moved on, right?”

He nodded, there was no hesitation and so I knew he was being honest. I was being honest, too. Adam and me…that ship has sailed.

“And she seems like she’s pretty cool with you coming over and hanging out with me, so obviously she’s not concerned. Suzy said she is super cool. You have nothing to worry about!” I said.

“You know Amber is the one who encouraged me to look more into your apartment fire?” Adam said accepting my reassurances.

“Really?”

“Yeah, she could tell how much it bothered me, that nothing seemed to be getting done, and she told me I should do some investigative work, maybe even hire a private investigator.”

“I didn’t realize you had been dating her for that long.” I said surprised, “I got the impression she was a new presence in your life.”

“Kind of. We started off working on a freelancing gig about free-trade coffee. She took the consumer side of how to know if the coffee you’re buying is free-trade and I took the other side about what free-trade coffee is and why people should care. And we got closer and closer after that. We’ve only been dating a few months but…”

Adam smiled and I felt so happy for him.

“What?”

“I’m going to ask her to move in with me. She’s…she’s amazing, Faith. I love her.”

I smiled and gave him a hug.

“This is so exciting! When are you planning on asking her?”

“Any day now, I’m just waiting for the right moment. Her apartment is up for lease next month and I think she’s been stalling signing it to see if I’m going to ask.”

“Oh, Adam. I can’t wait to meet her! She’s a lucky lady and you guys are going to be so happy. Just don’t screw it up!” I joked.


We settled down with some ice cream to finish our marathon and then agreed to watch the new Project Runway season coming up regularly. Maybe Adam could even invite Amber over, we could make it a weekly party thing!

2 comments:

  1. It is nice to see Faith getting back into a "normal" life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say how much I am gonna love this mon weds n friday sched with cosmo on tues n thur I get to read my fav blogs every day of the week!! woo hoo

    Renee Marie

    ReplyDelete