Thursday, August 22, 2013

Girl's Day

I met Suzy and Amber at a stop on the subway line we were taking. Suzy I recognized right away, the woman standing next to her, I assumed, was Amber.


She had curly reddish-brown hair, deep blue eyes, and a warm smile.

“Faith?” She asked before giving me a hug, “I’ve heard SO much about you, I’m so glad that we could finally meet!”

“Me, too!” I said.

We piled onto the subway car and headed toward the downtown shopping district.

“We HAVE to get lunch at this café down by DSW. It is to die for, Faith!” Suzy said.

“Oh, Suzy is right. We went there for lunch with Dina last week and it was the highlight of my whole day!” Amber joked.

“Oh, hey…your bag…” I said pointing at Amber’s purse.

“What, is something on it?” She asked.

“No…I used to have a bag like that.” I said, “I lost it in the fire.”

“Oh, well, I can tell you where I got it and we can get you a new one!” Amber said cheerfully, “In fact, we’re going to be near there.”

I agreed and we got to talking about my job offer as we piled off the subway car and headed up the stairs to the street.

“That’s so exciting!” Suzy said.

“I know! But it’s not a done deal. Eddie, the theatre’s owner, is proving to be very difficult and is refusing to sell for a reasonable price. We’ll see if things actually work out. I’m trying not to let myself get too excited, yet, in case it all falls through.”

“That’s a good idea.” Amber said nodding, “I hope it works out for you. Adam mentioned you were sick of freelancing and this sounds like it’s exactly what you were looking for.”

“It really is.” I said.

We headed across the street to look at shoes. I wanted to get a nice pair of black pumps and Amber was looking for some red ones. After that, we headed to a clothing store where Suzy bought a bright blue dress that looked AMAZING on her and Amber found a fun green one that fit her perfectly and complimented her hair color flawlessly. Then we went into the store Amber bought her bag from. They didn’t have the old purse I’d lost in the fire but they did have a super cute gray tweed one that I just HAD to have. I’m going to use it forever I love it so much!

We were all starving by the time I checked out with my new bag and headed over to the café Suzy had mentioned and boy did she know her stuff. It was REALLY good. I had a turkey club sandwich and French fries while Amber had a roast beef sandwich and sweet potato fries, and Suzy had a grilled cheese with garlic pickles and fruit salad. It was reasonably priced and yummy; I’d definitely go there again.

After lunch we headed into another clothing store and I bought a pair of jeans that did magical things for my ass while Suzy tried on various cardigans.

“I don’t know, do you think it’s too bright?” Suzy asked while looking at herself in the mirror in a salmon pink cardigan.

“Uh, definitely.” Amber said, “I’d go with this dark green one.”

She handed Suzy a dark green cardigan and took the salmon one Suzy was handing her.

“What do you think, Faith? Too dark?” Amber asked.

I stood back and cocked my head.

“Maybe a little. What about this dark purple one?” I said pointing to the rack.

Suzy nodded and we switched sweaters.

“Oh, that’s perfect!” Amber said, “You have to buy that, Suze.”

Amber bought the same cardigan as Suzy and after we all checked out we decided to grab some ice cream and wait for the train.

“Adam has been acting so weird, lately. I don’t know what his deal is.” Amber sighed.

“Maybe he’s just stressed about work?” Suzy suggested.

“I don’t know. He’s been stressed ever since he found out about the other fire but this is different. He’s being distant and weird.”

“Wait…what other fire?” I asked.

“Oh…Adam hired a private investigator to look into your fire after his story broke. He wanted to find more evidence but he found out that there were two other fires before yours. Before that we’d only thought there had been one other fire.”

I was shocked. I couldn’t believe Adam didn’t tell me! I couldn’t believe Mike hadn’t told me!

“Is…was that a new discovery? I mean, did the fire department know that?”

“I don’t know. If they weren’t aware, they are now. Adam told them.”

“Oh.” I said distractedly.

I knew why Adam was acting weird: because he was planning on asking Amber to move in with him. But I wasn’t going to tell Amber that since he wanted it to be a surprise so I just nodded and agreed with Suzy’s suggestions. When I got home though, I did send him a text:

Amber’s worried. You’re acting weird, you should ask her to move in with you soon before she thinks something is seriously wrong.


I debated on whether or not I should have asked him about the other fire and why he didn’t tell me, but I decided against it. I’m sure he had his reasons and I’m sure he was planning on telling me at some point.

9 comments:

  1. OK....Amber has Faith's bag, no doubt about it. I don't think we heard about her until just recently, so why would she start the fire. Unless someone else - Stormy/Adam - started the fire, took something (the purse) as a momento. Amber found it thinking it was a gift and is none the wiser. Meanwhile Stormy hired a private detective to make sure he has covered his tracks....hhhmmm....(Insert Law & Order "dum dum") I'm probably so off it's not even funny. Love this story! mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone else find it weird that Amber was all, "Let me show you where I bought my bag!" If Faith owned one, she knows where she bought it. I think we are finally getting to the meat of the fire story!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bag thing really stood out to me. Hmmmmmm..... What is going on??? I can't wait to find out!

    I always secretly wanted Adam and Faith together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber having the same bag Faith used to does stand out but seems a bit too obvious. But I'm going to like the story anyway and just have to wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I bet Amber was the one who started the fire and took the bag as a momento and she sent Stormy/Adam to investigate to try to make sure they didnt have anything on her. Adam did say he has known her for a long time and maybe she liked him back when he still had a thing for Faith so, being a crazy psycho, Amber broke into Faith's apartment and lit it on fire after taking a few things because she wanted to be Faith (or like her) so Adam would have the same feelings for her as he did for Faith. Wow, that was confusing to type. Either way I am loving the blog even more than usual lately Del! Nicely done! And way to leave us hanging over a long weekend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pixielegs....that's EXACTLY what I was thinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the same thought as Pixie and Stephanie! That being said, Mum has a great theory too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG...so I was reading the descriptions of the characters and I just had a crazy thought! What if Amber is Gerry's daughter. You know, Sean's crazy general manager. Maybe she set the fire or her father did (I do believe he had a good alibi though) and that is how it happen. Crazy can be genetic...

    Or maybe I am WAY out there.

    ReplyDelete