Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pens at the Ready

Molly and I sat across from Shelby in her office. We’d brought the new contracts Hazel had couriered to us that reflected the changes to our positions on the board.


I hadn’t seen Shelby since my mediation with Kevin a lifetime ago. She looked the same as always; blonde, petite, and very put-together.

“Okay, Faith.” She said slowly closing the packet, “I think this looks good. I don’t see any legal loopholes or issues that jump out at me but I think, professionally-speaking, it’s up to you if you want to sign it. I do recommend negotiating for more projects you can work on outside of the company per season, though. Even if it’s it only one more project, it’ll give you more options and let you get your name out there. Only one project per season could hinder you.”

I nodded and agreed. I wanted to be able to work on at least two outside projects per season for the exact points Shelby outlined. I also asked for more money at Molly’s urging.

“Okay, so I’ll put a negotiation call in to Mrs. Harrison’s lawyer, have a new contract notarized and if they agree, you should be able to sign it as soon as tomorrow.”

“What if they don’t agree?”

“Well, you can sign the current agreement, or I can try to haggle with them.”

“Haggle?”

“For example, I’d offer a negotiation for three outside projects per season and fifteen thousand more for salary. And they’ll probably put forth a counter-offer where you’d be able to do two outside projects per season and get ten thousand more. That kind of thing.”

“That sounds good to me.” I said relaxing in my chair. I was so relieved that this was a legitimate job offer.

“Now, on to Molly.” Shelby picked up Molly’s packet and a red pen and immediately went to work.

Molly and I shared a look at how much she was striking out and changing. She had barely touched mine. Suddenly I had a sinking feeling that maybe this wasn’t as legitimate as I had hoped. After 15 minutes, Shelby put the packet down and slid it across the table to Molly.

“I didn’t find any kind of legal trickery or loopholes again, so that’s a good sign considering how you both were feeling but I do have some suggestions for edits that you should renegotiate. For example, I think you should really fight not to have an outside project cap. It’s not nearly as detrimental to Faith to have an outside project cap on her contract, but you’re an actress, Molly, and getting your name out there is directly connected to your career being successful. You don’t want to have a contractual obligation ruin your shot if your big break comes along.”

Molly nodded.

Shelby went through some more suggestions with Molly (salary, work expectations for the costuming side of things, wardrobe shop space, etc.) and then called Hazel’s lawyer to negotiate. She left a message and promised to keep us in the loop before we were on our way.

We’re both pretty hopeful about this; now, it’s just a matter of how willing to negotiate everyone is. I did text Zeke to tentatively let him know that I’m still highly interested and to be patient with me. He’s been calling and e-mailing us all since our lunch to try and figure out how we’re all feeling. As far as I know, no one has turned down the offer as of right now. To be honest, I’d sign the contract I entered Shelby’s office with right now.

I haven’t told my parents about it, yet. I don’t want to jinx anything but I’m getting excited and I can’t wait to find out how the negotiations have gone. Molly is equally excited and she’s familiar with a few of the other people that were at the lunch.

“Nick gets stuff done. He’s one of the best marketing gurus I’ve ever seen. It’s no wonder Zeke wanted him there, Nick being on board with this will practically guarantee a successful theatre. He’s a big freaking deal.”


I had NO idea he was such a big-wig! It’s obvious Zeke put together a bang-up team. I’m just surprised he asked me and not a much more experienced stage manager. I'm sure he had a lot of options but I’m not going to over-analyze that because I’M GETTING MY DREAM JOB! YAY!

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! - Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stuff going on...the blog is taking on a very different feel...can't put my finger on it. mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it too fake that Faith was trying to find a job and suddenly her dream job falls in her lap. Not real world at all.
    One of the things I liked about this blog was the real ness factor it used to have.

    Still good writing though.

    ReplyDelete