Thursday, November 8, 2012

Back, Back Again


(When I made that post on Thursday, I seriously under-estimated just how unmotivated I would be to write on Friday and, well, the rest of the weekend since it was a long weekend for me. So, I posted the lost post before this one. Make sure to read it first or you might be confused. Also, sorry for being lazy : ( -del)





We’ve finally moved into the actual theatre space and have started having rehearsals there so I have more to do at night to shut down than in our temporary rehearsal space. It was late at night and I was locking the door that leads to the alley. The light above the door was out so it took me forever to lock it since I couldn’t see. It was cold and I stuck my hands in my jacket pockets while I walked to the bus.

I heard footsteps behind me but didn’t think much of it until I looked behind and didn’t see anyone. I pulled my jacket closer around me and started walking faster. The footsteps started again.

I stopped. They stopped. The bus stop was only about half a block away and I thought I’d feel safer if I could just get there, where there were lights so I started walking again.

“Faith.” A voice called out to me, taunting.

I turned around and it was Kevin. He was almost on top of me. I tried to scream but nothing came out. He grabbed my hair and dragged me to an alley nearby. When he let go, I tried to run but he grabbed my waist and we ended up on the ground.

I tried to crawl away and kick him off of me but he was holding onto me too tight. I finally found my voice and started screaming for help but no one came. Kevin pinned me against the ground, I could feel it under me, wet, hard. A sickening wave of terror came over me when I saw Kevin pull out a long, thin knife.

I started screaming louder, he raised his arms and plunged the knife into me. He did it again and again and again. I was kicking and clawing at him but with every stab I felt myself fall deeper and deeper against the ground.

He kept repeating my name. But it didn’t sound like Kevin anymore. It was…Mike’s?





“FAITH! FAITH WAKE UP!”

I sat bolt upright and realized I was drenched in sweat and shaking. I looked around wildly. The bedroom light was on and Mike was holding me by my shoulders. I screamed and backed against his headboard. 

Mike took his hands off of me and held them up so I could see them.

“It’s okay. You were just having a nightmare. It’s okay now.”

I was breathing heavily and my muscles felt like I’d been working out for hours. I relaxed a little and Mike sat across from me.

“Do you want me to get you some water?”

“N-no.” I said still breathing heavy. I put my hand on my heart to try to calm myself down. My pulse was racing as if I’d just run a marathon.

A loud knock came from Mike’s apartment door and I jumped.

“I’ll get it, it’s okay.” Mike said slowly backing away. His eyes were full of concern. I was afraid to be alone so I followed him unsteadily out to the living room.

Mike opened the door, it was a neighbor.

“Is everything okay? We heard someone screaming bloody murder.” The neighbor was an older woman in a robe; she looked past Mike into the living room.

“Everything’s okay, my girlfriend just…got scared. We were watching a scary movie, I’m sorry for waking you.”

The neighbor looked at me with concern and I nodded apologetically. She left after that and I collapsed on the couch.

“I’m sorry.” I said as Mike sat next to me and pulled me against him.

“It’s okay. Have you ever had a bad dream like that before?”

“I don’t think so.”

“What was it about?”

“Um. I don’t remember.” I lied. I dug my head to his chest and he kissed my hair, “Mike, go back to bed, you have to be at work in a few hours. I’ll just sit out here for awhile. I’ll be fine.”

“It’s fine, Faith, I can-”

“No, please, I’m really embarrassed. Just, please go back to sleep, you should get some sleep before work.”

“Are you sure?” He asked looking into my eyes, searching.

“Yeah, I’ll just watch some really bad infomercials and make some tea. I’ll be in there in an hour or so, I’m sure.”

“Okay.” Mike got up and gave me a kiss before heading back to bed.

I sighed and fell back on the couch. We’re going to have a lot to talk about in therapy this week.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be having nightmares, too. Good writing. mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...instant PANIC!!!! Oi! Way to get the heart pounding! lmao

    ReplyDelete