Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Not Gonna be Home for the Holidays


“Hey.” I said when Mike answered his phone.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

“I just told my mom about not being able to come home for the holidays because of work. There was crying.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Faith. She didn’t take it well, I assume?”

“That is an understatement.” I sighed, “But I don’t know what she wants me to do. I can’t fly in, I have to work. If I was just working at Bruno’s it would be a different story but it’s not like I can just not call the cues for the show, you know? And I’m making a ton of money for working the holidays, for the show AND for Bruno’s. I told her I’d come home for a long visit after the show closed but I don’t think it made her feel any better.”

“She just needs some time. She’ll understand. Your brother has missed holidays before, right?”

“Yeah, but this will be the first year that neither one of us is going to be there for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I told her that she and my dad could come here and spend Christmas with me but she refused, she hates the city.”

“Why can’t your brother be there?”

“He’s on tour for a show and met someone so he’s going to her family’s house for their holiday break instead. I’m going to try to talk him into splitting it up between his new girlfriend’s family’s house and our parents’ but we’ll see how that goes.”

“So, what are you doing for the holidays when you aren’t working?”

“Probably calling my sobbing my mother…” I said.

“Why don’t you spend the holidays with my family?”

“What?”

“Come on, Faith. We’ve been dating since the summer and I’d love for you to meet my parents. You know that. They would LOVE to have you, and you’ll be able to meet my sisters.”

“I’ll…what the hell. Why not?”

“Yessss!” Mike’s happiness was evident on the phone and it made me smile.

I’m terrified of meeting his family but it’ll be nice to not have to sit in my apartment by myself for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. If I can’t be with MY family, I guess being with my awesome boyfriend’s family is the next best thing.

2 comments: