Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Settled In

I moved in to Molly's today. It wasn't a very stressful move, to be honest. I didn't have much to move. My parents had a new bed delivered and I had a few pieces of furniture delivered, too, but Molly's apartment already has a lot of stuff in it so I didn't have to worry about furnishing any other are of the apartment except my room.

My room is pretty nice. I have a walk-in closet and my own bathroom. Molly has her own room but no bathroom. She and her previous roommate agreed to him having the larger room and private bathroom because she has her own office that she uses as a costume shop for her costuming work. She calls it her studio. I don't really need my own office, so I'm fine with the arrangement. The rest of the apartment is really great, we have a balcony and a nice, open floor plan. The kitchen area, dining area, and living room area are all combined together in a comfortable and easy way. The apartment kind of screams, "Molly!!!" though. I'm worried I'll never feel like this is my home and Molly was picking up on it as I looked around after everything had been unpacked and moved in.

"You know, we can re-decorate, if you want." She said.

We had decided to order a pizza after all that hard moving work which wasn't that hard but I'll take any excuse to eat pizza.

"I'm fine." I said.

"Faith," She said grabbing another slice, "You couldn't look more uncomfortable right now."

"It's...just...kind of...bright?" I said looking around.

Molly's kitchen was a bright sunshine yellow and the accent colors around the apartment were bright oranges and reds. Not my kind of color scheme, to be honest.

"We can re-paint. I can make a slip color for the couch." She said.

I started thinking about what colors I would like to tone things down a bit.

"Um, what about a sky blue and dark teal?"

"I think we can make that work." She said with a smile.

We decided to go to the hardware store tomorrow and buy some paint and then hit up a fabric store.

"I need to get rid of some of this stuff anyway," she said looking at some of her nick-knacks, "I can donate it to the thrift store down the street and we can buy some stuff that isn't orange or red or yellow."

"Okay, but only if you're okay with it." I said.

"I'm more than okay with it." She said.

We watched some movies and then Molly had to go to work.

Molly works as a costume designer and an actress but in between working on shows she also works as a suicide hotline counselor for gay teens from 11:00pm-4:30am. I don't know when she has time to sleep!

My favorite thing about my new apartment is definitely the balcony. I could sit on the balcony forever. Molly has it decorated with hanging plants and flower boxes and it feels really private and quiet. There's even a small fountain in one corner that adds a soothing sound to the ambiance.

Starting over feels weird but I'm slowly getting back on my feet.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, Molly is such a good friend. This was a nice post. I think they'll be good at living together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great place, and Molly is a gem! mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it is me but I thought it was kind of rude that Faith said anything about the decor of the place. At least wait a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that thought crossed my mind also (being kind of rude, or, out-of-place, for Faith to bring up the decor). I know that Molly asked her to elaborate...but it seems kind of strange to run right out and totally redo her whole color scheme (Molly must really gravitate toward warm, bright colors; why would she want to go to the complete opposite of cool, muted tones?). It just seemed premature for that, I guess. Guess she was ready for a big change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is funny!

    Kindly check out http://wwwkates-world.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete