Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The V-Card

Kevin and I went out on a date yesterday. We decided to go to a museum in the area and then grab lunch at this really cute little bistro about a block from my apartment. The museum had this awesome indoor garden exhibit with all sorts of exotic flowers and there were even butterflies flying around in the atrium. We sat on a bench and started talking when Kevin brought up the subject of Valentine’s Day.

“So…do you celebrate it?”

“Well, not really, I think… If you love and care for someone that you’re in a relationship with, you shouldn’t feel like you need to show especially large amounts of affection with gifts on one specific day of the year. The sentiment is nice, but we don’t need to do the whole Valentine’s Day thing.”

“You’re sure? This isn’t one of those ‘You don’t need to get me a gift, but I’m going to be pissed if you don’t’ thing that girls say all the time?”

“No, I’m not going to be mad if you don’t get me a gift,” I started laughing, “we just started dating, anyway, and besides, my plans for Valentine’s Day seem to be heading in the direction of watching a really bad movie on television and sleeping in late.”

We just kind of sat in the garden quietly taking in the surrounding vegetation. It was really nice. It was kind of the perfect day for me. I just sat there enjoying Kevin’s company while we held hands and I felt really relaxed being around him. We eventually left because we were both starving and Kevin drove to the bistro. I ordered a sandwich wrap with a side of strawberries and glass of water while Kevin ordered an omelet with ham and cheese, a slice of toast, and some coffee.

“What did you do before you came to the paper?” I asked.

“I was an editor for a small magazine that went under, George held an advertisement in our magazine regularly and when he heard about me losing my job, it was right when Paula was diagnosed to be terminal. He thought he’d go to the board with my credentials and talk about resigning or at least taking a sabbatical with me as his replacement. The board understood George’s position and agreed to give him a leave of absence, he still has all of his benefits from the company and he’s actually been working there that he could retire whenever, but the board wanted to make sure that if and when George is ready to come back, the position will be there for him. I just keep his seat warm.”

Kevin laughed and I smiled because his positivity was refreshing. George could decide to come back at any time and Kevin would be out on the street but he was so relaxed about everything.

“You make me less anxious about my life.” I said, touching his hand.
Kevin looked at me and leaned over to give me a kiss. He walked me home a little while later and called Zoey to dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment