Sunday, February 7, 2010

Temp Me No More

I still haven’t found a replacement for Janna, mostly because I haven’t even scheduled any interviews. I just think back to the last group and then cry myself to sleep at night, that is to say: I am not looking forward to the next set of interviews…at all. I stared at my computer screen with the job posting written in an e-mail to send to various job sites and hovered my mouse above the send button. Just then the temp who’s been keeping Janna’s seat warm came into my office with a stack of papers. I suddenly got a great idea!

“Hey Faith, I made those copies you asked for, I stapled them and collated them for you, too.”

“Kelly…have a seat.” Kelly sat down and I leaned back in my chair. She smiled and waited for me to begin.

“I want to offer you a job here; a permanent position as the paper’s secretary. You’ve been doing a fantastic job and I don’t think I’ll be able to find someone with your qualifications and attitude. What do you think?”

Kelly thought about what I was saying and I could tell I was going to lose her.

“I’ll give you a raise.” I used my last shot.

“How much?”

“I’ll give you a three dollar raise, optional health benefits, and a full week of vacation time upon hiring I’ll even count the last couple of weeks you’ve been working as a temp which will help the benefits come in quicker, should you want them.”
“It’s a deal.”

“I’ll start the paperwork right now.”

Kelly walked out of my office and I felt so much relief. It’s not that I don’t enjoy doing interviews with potential employees, there just always seems to be a large quantity of people who answer the ads for the secretary job every few months who think completely inappropriate behavior is perfectly acceptable at a job interview. The last time I had to find someone for a job, when I hired Janna, a male interviewee winked at me. I probably would have been willing to give Kelly a five dollar raise if she pushed me just to avoid one of those situations again.

No comments:

Post a Comment