Friday, October 23, 2009

Girls Night Out

After my horrible week at work, Zoey decided to arrange for a girls’ night out with all of our friends. I met Anna, Elise, and Zoey at one of our most favorite Italian restaurants for dinner.

“It’s been awhile, guys, we should do this more often,” Elise said as she started munching on the free garlic bread. We all agreed and made sure to make some more time next week to go shopping.
I didn’t want to talk about work but inevitably started to talk about the rumors going around the water cooler.

“I think there are going to be mass lay-offs with the paper.” I said, looking down at the tablecloth.

“Why? Your paper is only one of the few that haven’t experienced huge losses,” Zoey said as she poured some more wine for Anna.

“I know, but the head honchos have been asking for a ton of employee files lately and they don’t normally do that unless it’s time for the annual evaluations. We finished those a few weeks ago so this isn’t a very good sign."

“Well, maybe they just want to make sure everyone is on their toes. It doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re going to start cutting a ton of jobs. Besides there aren’t a lot of non-essential people, right?” Anna said as she touched my shoulder.

“I guess you’re right, but something’s going down. If it’s not a large amount of lay-offs I don’t really know what they have planned.” Just then our food came and we started discussing Elise’s last modeling job over lasagna and cheese ravioli.

Elise works as a model for one of the agencies here and always has the funniest stories about the male models she works with. She has blonde hair and a model’s physique, but she doesn’t do anything for it. She could eat a fried horse and lose weight. We’re all only a little jealous. Okay, maybe a lot. Anyway, Elise dates a lot of male models too and generally has a lot of ex-boyfriends because of it. She tends to date the wrong kind of guy, but we love her anyway.

“..So then this male model, his name is Redford by the way, took off his shirt and asked for my phone number, cause that doesn’t say ‘I’m full of myself’.” Elise was gushing about how hot he was and totally stuck up.

“So did he call?” Zoey said with a smirk, already knowing the answer.

“Uh, we’re going out tomorrow night…” out entire table started laughing, getting disgruntled stares from other diners.

We decided to leave the restaurant and go to a bar down the street to dance and catch-up over drinks. After we ordered we grabbed a booth near the back and Anna started talking about work. Anna is the nicest person I know. We went to college together with Zoey and she works at the same magazine as her as the fashion director. She married Theo about two years ago and he works as a doctor. They met in college and are so ridiculously cute together that Elise, Zoey, and I always sigh and giggle and wish we could find someone like Theo. Anna has brown hair and the most perfect dimples you could ever imagine. She’s not into fashion as much as Zoey is but often has better clothes because she decides what stock the magazine should keep or “get rid of” (which actually means: give to Anna). She shares in the wealth, though, my wardrobe is about 45% of designer clothing just from Anna.

“Yeah, they’re probably going to ask us to clear out some space for next season, soon, so I’ll keep my eye out for you guys and let you know what I’m able to take from wardrobe. I have a big announcement, too.” Anna said looking at us all, “Theo and I have decided that we’re going to start trying for a baby.”

Congratulations and hugs went all around, Anna said that they’ve been trying for a few weeks and nothing has come of it, but she’s hopeful. Anna will make such a great mom. After catching-up for about an hour I decided to strut my stuff on the dance floor. By that point I was a little tipsy and dancing with a random guy I pulled onto the dance floor.

Overall, it was a fun night and I’m really excited to go shopping with my girls next week, it’s been so long. Oh, and it might have been a little more fun than I had anticipated considering that I made out with that random guy for about 30 minutes before Zoey pulled me off and took me home.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think these posts feel forced. I think they are pretty good! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Steph, these posts don't seem forced, plus they are just starting so you're giving background. I'm sure it'll feel easier to you when you keep going with it. I'll keep reading though if you keep posting :)

    -Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both the posts above ^^. It's a good setup before getting into all of the juicy drama!

    I didn't see a follow button. Do you think that you can add one on the side? It would be easier to see if you have new posts if I followed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kidding. Found where I could follow your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Del this is a great start. Kind of a sex and the city thing going on. I love it. I would totally hate to fire anyone. But since I am working my career into management I will probably have to encounter that one day. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog, cannot wait to read the whole thing! Great start!

    ReplyDelete